iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT 28 Woodmizer...........I'm very close.

Started by gator gar, March 08, 2010, 09:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gator gar

I have been looking real hard at the LT 28 Woodmizer since I have started reading the forum. Looks as if the sale that is going on, has alot of people interested in the mill, other than myself. That being said....I just want to inquire about the manual style crank that moves the mast up and down. I know they have this feature on the LT 15 and alot of ya'll are using it everyday. Are you happy with it??? Does it move and lock into place close enough to make the 1/4 cuts. What I guess I am asking, is it accurate??? Can you actually stop it exactly where it needs to be, like with the 12 volt.

I had a LT 40 G-18 manual mill, many years ago and the only difference in the two mills is that the mast is manual lift and it will only cut a 16 foot log. Other than that, the LT 28 is just about the same, with the exception of maybe being built a little better or maybe fine tuned some over the years.

I'm real close to buying this mill. I'm a pipefitter and have been laid off since March 24th of last year. I work a few shut-downs in the refineries from time to time and just need something to fill in the gaps and think custom sawing might just be the ticket.

I have got some really great ideas and have applied them since easing around here reading past post. That and the fact that I have done this before, makes me feel like I can make a few extra dollars custom cutting some logs for people in the Southeast, Texas area.

It's been awhile since I sold my mill to my uncle in N.C. But, like so many have said before, that that sawdust just gets in your bloodstream and you eventually feel like you need to saw some more lumber and that is where I am at right now. I have a couple thousand BF on the stump, that has been lightning struck here on my place and I guess that is where I will begin cutting.

I don't know who started this site, but whoever started it, did a jam up job. There is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm soaking up all I can, starting at page 300 and something and working backwards.

Again, Thanks for the site, cause I feel privilaged to be here.

Mark Futral

Magicman

Welcome Mark.  Sounds like you found the right place.....Good luck with your mill choice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Gator Gar, now that's an awesome fish.   A glimpse of prehistory indeed.  What's the biggest you caught?  I have a good friend that spawns them.

Gator Gar, we sure are glad to have you here on the forum.   Those lt28's are nicely made mills.  If you look in my photo gallery you will see lots of lt28 pics I took at a Woodmizer demonstration.  I have no first hand experience with the crank handle.  I did turn it a time or two and it felt solid and precise.  I think it is the same setup as the lt15, someone here will tell you.  Also, I believe the lt28 cuts a 21 foot long log. 

And you can thank Jeff, he's a good fella, the creator and owner of this site. 8) 8)

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gator gar

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 08, 2010, 11:20:30 PM
Gator Gar, now that's an awesome fish.   A glimpse of prehistory indeed.  What's the biggest you caught?  I have a good friend that spawns them.

Gator Gar, we sure are glad to have you here on the forum.   Those lt28's are nicely made mills.  If you look in my photo gallery you will see lots of lt28 pics I took at a Woodmizer demonstration.  I have no first hand experience with the crank handle.  I did turn it a time or two and it felt solid and precise.  I think it is the same setup as the lt15, someone here will tell you.  Also, I believe the lt28 cuts a 21 foot long log. 

And you can thank Jeff, he's a good fella, the creator and owner of this site. 8) 8)

The biggest Alligator Gar I caught was 123 pounds and 6 foot 8 inches long below the Lake Livingston Dam on the Trinity River here in Texas. Caught her on rod and reel. I've caught many 40-50 pounders in the marsh around High Island Texas, near the coast.

As far as the crank is concerned on the mill........Marty sent me an e-mail explaining everything to me in detail on how it operates and to what tolerance, which was just what I needed to know.

Thanks for the site Jeff. It's a great place to be a part of.

fishpharmer

I don't care who you are.............6 foot 8 inches is a big fish. 8)  Do you have any pictures?
Never have I fished for Gator Gar.   Its impressive to see the massive 6 foot plus broodfish used to spawn.  I did raise some gator gar fry years ago, started with 500 two inch fish, ended with two 12 inch fish in a couple of months.  They are mean.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gator gar

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 09, 2010, 06:35:21 AM
I don't care who you are.............6 foot 8 inches is a big fish. 8)  Do you have any pictures?
Never have I fished for Gator Gar.   Its impressive to see the massive 6 foot plus broodfish used to spawn.  I did raise some gator gar fry years ago, started with 500 two inch fish, ended with two 12 inch fish in a couple of months.  They are mean.

Yep, I have pics. I'm up early this morning to head out to a safety council meeting and do a site specific at the Valero refinery at ISTC. I have a job starting there at 6 am tomorrow. Running a little late this morning, but can post pics a little later. I have archives of fish pics. You do know the Alligator Gar eggs are toxic??? Don't feed them to the chickens.

Burlkraft

You will be very happy with an LT28

I love mine. I was going to trade it off and go hydraulic, but I have have decided to keep it I like it so much.

I have auto feed, that's a nice feature. The hand crank to raise and lower the head works great and is very accurate. If you have one helper to swamp boards you can really saw some lumber.

and maybe it's because the local Kubota dealer is delivering my M70 tomorrow  8)   8)  8)

He even tossed in a used grapple bucket.  ;D  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

sparks

gatorgar, Each notch on the up/dn dial is 1/16". One complete rotation is a 4" movement. If you want to cut 1/4" it will do it accurately. Thanks
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Don K

Welcome gator, I had a LT 15 and the crank head adjustment is about as accurate as you can get. Very positive settings. I loved it.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

beenthere

Quote from: Burlkraft on March 09, 2010, 08:56:22 AM
You will be very happy .....................and maybe it's because the local Kubota dealer is delivering my M70 tomorrow  8)   8)  8)

He even tossed in a used grapple bucket.  ;D  ;D  ;D

8)          8)         8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gator gar

Thanks for all the info and the PMs with info on the LT28. Great insight on the mill. I'm sitting in my RV 100 miles from home and getting ready to hit the sack. Alot of training today,just to set foot in the refinery. More training in the morning at the refinery. I'll know for sure about the mill tomorrow. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Thank You Sponsors!