iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tirechains front or back

Started by donny hochstetler, March 08, 2010, 09:16:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donny hochstetler

heres my problem I have a 666 clark, theres only about an inch and a half of clearance between my blade, an sidewall of tire. I can redo the blade in order to get my clearance, or was wondering ,if it would work to just run them on the back. I have never run chains on back, what are some pros an cons? I thought about redoing my rims, but it will widen my machine to the point of a bigger skidder, so I might as well get me a bigger machine ,so thats sorta out

Maine372

the weight of the hitch is on the back anyways so i think the chains will do more good there. might give the machine a tendancy to nose up though.

i wouldnt hesitate to flip the rims. the stability would be bonus, plus the extra traction. with a 666 you are probably pulling a hitch thats wider than the machine anyways.

either that or get the bigger machine.

Bobus2003

I run Tire Chains on all four Now-a-days but I used to just run a Set on the rear, sinch when Pulling thats where all my weight is.. But I love having them up front so i have the traction backing up hills... So i just sprung and bought chains for the front and rear

HolmenTree

Every line skidder I cut for had chains on front only. I have cut for a quite a few triple 6s too. Chains on the front are good for running off limbs while backblading/ bunching. Chains on the rear would snag odd butts that are winched up a little too close to the tires. When you got 2 cords of wood on the fairlead you got all the traction you need on a plain tire, even in snow, the front chains are doing their job also for traction.
I remember 1 winter back in the late 1970s here in northern Manitoba we had alot of snow, skidders were running in snow up to or higher then the bellypans and a couple of the guys were running 4 chains. But a normal winter up here we get 2 feet max of snow and dry cold. 
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Ron Scott

Yes, normally on the front tires, but some will run chains on all four tires during a deep snow winter and if they can afford the cost for the extra chains.
~Ron

chevytaHOE5674

Everybody I know UP here runs chains up front or on all 4. Most guys run them on all 4 to try and combat the snow and ice that we get.

tlandrum

i run mine on the front.but wish i had a set for the rear.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Ron Scott on March 11, 2010, 02:51:00 PM
Yes, normally on the front tires, but some will run chains on all four tires during a deep snow winter and if they can afford the cost for the extra chains.

Ditto to Ron and Chevy, done that way up here to. Dad ran skidder on the farm for 35 years.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: HolmenTree on March 10, 2010, 09:51:36 PM
I remember 1 winter back in the late 1970s here in northern Manitoba we had alot of snow, skidders were running in snow up to or higher then the bellypans and a couple of the guys were running 4 chains.

I had a crew for a couple mid Januaries until March on one lot and the hardwood was about 2-1/2 feet of snow and when we ran down into the softwood, it was as deep as the tires. Mister that was a hard haul up outta that softwood ground, and the ground never froze solid, just like summer. Didn't rut the ground, only so far you could sink and worst in the forward momentum. :D We used an old road bed that got down in there and winched out to it. The worst part of the ground where it was soft I kept them out of it. They'd never get out. The funny part was the growth was young, still healthy looking and thick as dog hair. I said no way was I going in there, let the deer have it. There were deer in there too, but they were coming out to the hardwood and then the coyotes killed a couple on the yards.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Gary_C

If you don't run the chains on the front first, you may not be able to steer in hard packed snow and ice.
Plus you always have some weight on the front because of the engine/drivetrain.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

I was going to mention the steering to, like Gary.

graves logging

ran a tree farmer for 6 years with the chains on the front worked good we thought.... eh eh

donny hochstetler

thanks for the feedback I think i"ll probably just redo my blade then I can run them on the front or I might just try running on the back for a bit to see how it"ll work  if this snow keeps melting I might not need them  8)

HolmenTree

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 11, 2010, 06:45:50 PM
I was going to mention the steering to, like Gary.
Same here, I thought about steering too after posting and then going to bed thinking about it.
Without front chains you'll be slipping and sliding all over, summer or winter driving over weed timber[hard wood] here in our softwood operation. Our hardwood is left on the ground here. A real shame when you think about it.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

spencerhenry

i put my chains on the rear of my franklin once, because of better clearance than on the front. was fine if all you wanted to do was go straight.

arojay

I run mine on the front.  Watch out for your chains to pick up slash and small logs and try to whack you.  This is less likely in deep snow.  Keeping your chains fairly snug helps.  I had poor tires on the front one year and had the skidder on a fire with water tank mounted so I ran the chains.  Had to be careful of flailing burnt saplings.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

DirtForester

Everyone around here runs a set of four year round.  Some like rings on front and ice on back, some vice-versa.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

Thank You Sponsors!