iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Orange Nostalgia

Started by mhasel, October 12, 2003, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhasel

Okay Gang,

I ran across this in an old October 1984 Workbench magazine at my parents' house tonight and just had to scan a copy to share with everyone.

This had to be about the time it all started??

Anyway I thought it was kinda' neat and wanted to share, maybe someone has some other old literature or better yet even pricing just for the heck of it :D

Mike

ElectricAl

Mhasel,

This summer a friend sold his 1984 WM to an amish man for 8000 bucks delivered and set up. ???

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Kevin_H.

They have come along way haven't they!

looks like manual everything
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Oregon_Sawyer

I think they have one about that vintage at the Portland Branch.  Boy is it primative compared to today. ;D
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

Stump Jumper

In the picture it shows power feed and power up and down.  I just worked on one 1987 lt30 was out of alignment and had bad bearings.  After fixing these items the gentleman was very happy  :) with how it cut.  We own the 2001 lt 40 42super hd.  We started out with the lt 30 almost 10 years ago.  Just found the Forum and did some reading and decided to put in our two cents.  By the way my wife is the typist.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Tom

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Stump Jumper.  You too Mrs. Stump Jumper.   :)    You can both have a membership, ya know.  They're cheap. :D :D

Jeff

I think Them Stump Jumpers are just a skip away from me lookin at the members map.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tobacco Plug

Welcome to the Stumjumpers! :)
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

dail_h

Hey welcome Mr  & Mrs Stump Jumper
    Don't worry about the typing,I still only got one finger that can type,and it ain't too sure sometimes
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Bibbyman

A buddy of mine bought an 84 model LT30 with low hours on it just a couple of years ago.  The guy wanted $7500 for it but my buddy got him down to something like $5700 cash because that's what a new LT15 was going to cost him and the other guy was about ready to pick up his new LT40HD Super.  

Anyway,  the old mill is running fine and has only need a new up/down motor since he got it.

Here is Will Baugh of the Wood-Mizer branch in Mt. Vernon, MO. testing out a very early LT30 that is owned by the Forestry Department of the University of Missouri.(if I remember correctly).  It had been setting for some time and needed some engine work.  After a little TLC it cut like a new one.  He sawing some very dry walnut.  That should test it. ;D

BTW,  Welcome to the FF Stump-Jumper.

(Back in the CB craze days.  Dad's handle was "Stump-Maker". He cut logs.)

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Stump Jumper

I would like to THANK all of you for the nice welcome. ;D

We have a lot of pictures but we need to figure out how to load them onto the net.

If my wife gets her own spot then who will I get to do my typing? ???

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

DanG

Hey there, and welcome in, Stumpey. You too, Miz Stumpey. Y'all make a pretty good team.

Now Miz Stumpey, you need to get yer own membership, so you can say what you want to. BUT, you probly want to continue doing Mr. Stumpey's typing fer him, lest he wants to hire one of them seckeyterry type gals. We shore wouldn't want anything to do with a brouhaha at the Stumpjumper household. :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Linda

Welcome, stump_jumper and to your wife, also.  We have a couple of husband and wife teams here.  It is great to have another.   8)

We have lots of one finger typists here and some wives that help as well.  ;)  Whether it be for typing or spelling or just a comrade.

ElectricAl and myself are comrades, even though we go around and around funnin' each other here on the FF.  ;D

Hope you both have fun.  :)

Oh, fill out your biography, when you get time, so we all know a little more about you.

Linda  :)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Brian_Bailey

Mike,  Here's some figures for Jan. 84.

LT30G----Gas Wood-Mizer Lumbermill---------5,972.00
30TR------Trailer Package-----------------------------699.00
30B--------Box of eight Blades------------------------140.00
30LR------Log Rolling Assembly----------------------79.00
30MW----Manual Winch--------------------------------149.00
30SLR----Shingle/Lap Siding/Resaw Option----499.00
30BPP----Blade Protection Package---------------245.00            
           (Sharpener, ToothSetter & Water-Lube)

sub-total------------------------------------------------7,783.00
 Indiana Sales Tax----------------------------------------21.05

Total----------------------------------------------------$7,804.05

Below are a couple of pics of the LT30 I bought in 84.

Playing in the January sun ;D

It's a tad bit warmer but I'm working a lot harder cutting horse stall mat. out of some hickory.

Seeing that old adv. brought back some good memories for me, Thanks :) :)
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

ElectricAl

Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to post those great photos and prices.

ElectricAl
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Bibbyman

Look at that sales tax!  I think you' have to pay that much tax on a bag of groceries.

Maybe we can get Sven to price a new LT30 with the same options just to compare.  It may be twice as much but how much did a PU cost 20 years ago?
Sawing since '94

ElectricAl

Bib,

In 1980 Dad bought a new chevy 1/2 ton for $4900 plus tax and hork charges.  250 - 6 cyl, 3 on the tree ???

Jeff

I bought my first new truck in 1981. Chevy half ton. A.M. Radio, straight 6 automatic bright red. $5999
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Bailey

Your welcome ElectricAl,

The pics were a piece of cake. Getting the numbers aligned was another story until I remembered what Jeff said about puters not liking blank spaces :D.

Bibbyman,  

If I remember right, the tax was for the trailer axle. Indiana wasn't going to let you get out of state without a little bit of a nip  :D.
WMLT40HDG35, Nyle L-150 DH Kiln, now all I need is some logs and someone to do the work :)

Bibbyman

Oh yeah,  now I remember – that's another reason why the axle is an option.

My first new PU was a red 67 El Camino Malibu,  283, three on the tree and AM radio.  $2700.  

My first choice was a new Nova SS with 283, bucket seats and three on the floor for $2400.00. But dad (who co-signed the note) talked me out of it because it would be licensed as a truck thus we could get insurance cheaper and buy gas a few cents cheaper.
Sawing since '94

Bro. Noble

I've never had a new pickup :'(

The first pickup I bought was a 61 Chev.  I bought it for $500 in 67. :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

woodmills1

Bought a new 70 SS nova as a leftover in 71 just under 2 grand, boy that was a great car.  First pick up was a 55 6 cyl three on tree I bought in 1969.  Hey I had a 63 ford falcon ranchero  wish I had kept that one too.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Norm

It was sometime in the mid 80's when I saw my first band sawmill. But we lived in the city and were raising two young boys so all I could do was send for the brochures and dream and drool (still do but that's just old age). I bought a new ford f-150 about as stripped down as they get for $9000 at about the same time.

Cool pics Brian, interesting to see the prices back then.

Sven Christiansen

QuoteMaybe we can get Sven to price a new LT30 with the same options just to compare.
Let's just say it's still a steal!  ;D ;D

Actually, we'd prefer you go for an LT40. Oh and speaking of value, did I mention you can use a valuable coupon on a new mill?

http://www.woodmizer.com/promo/thanksgiving.html

MemphisLogger

I scored this 1994 Toyota 4x4 in '98 with only 25,000 miles on it for $10,000.  8)

I bet I've worked it harder than any 1/2 ton truck alive and it still runs great, gets 22 MPG and it never gets stuck!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)  
Scott Banbury, Urban logger since 2002--Custom Woodworker since 1990. Running a Woodmizer LT-30, a flock of Huskies and a herd of Toy 4x4s Midtown Logging and Lumber Company at www.scottbanbury.com

Thank You Sponsors!