iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Popple-Poplar-Aspen question

Started by bkellyvtme, March 08, 2010, 01:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Are these used for fuel such as woodchips, pellets, (not firewood I'm just about certain). Is it considered a softwood or hardwood? Any other uses for it?

rcanderson1968

As far as it being used for pellets - I've heard reports that some pellet mills in Maine do not use aspen as a feedstock.  I've also heard reports that pellet mills in Northern WI are using a heavy dose of aspen as a feedstock.  So I guess it depends on a particular pellet plant's "recipe".     
"...It's a good rifle - and killed the bear that killed me.  Anyway I'm Dead.  Yours Truly, Hatchet Jack"

SwampDonkey

If it were up to me, and it ain't :D , I would use species that are inherently low in moisture content when green. Like white cedar, jack pine, white spruce, tamarack and white ash for starts. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

Quote from: bkellyvtme on March 08, 2010, 01:41:41 PM
Are these used for fuel such as woodchips, pellets, (not firewood I'm just about certain). Is it considered a softwood or hardwood? Any other uses for it?

Yes they are used for fuel and yes, they are hardwoods.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

99 % used as pulpwood the other 1% for dried kindling to light your hardwood if you can't get good cedar or yellow birch bark. :D Well I guess some is sandwiched in between hardwood veneer in your plywood and go into aspenite and OSB, that kind of stuff. :X No wonder the hurricanes take out so many modern houses. By now I've said too much.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jamie_C

About the only market for Aspen around here is for the local pellet mill ... they supply pellets to a town in Sweden or Finland.

SwampDonkey

Right now the marketing board wood yard is about stuffed with aspen pulpwood, already scaled and sold. Just waiting to be hauled. A while back I never saw a stick up there. I assume it came in just before closures and the yard is beside two truck routes, one route 5 miles from Maine. I think this goes to Maine to Domtar in Woodland. I know they had a contract to scale and buck a year ago. I don't think they are getting rich off the processing, but keeps the cash flowing. :D

Maine372

headed to maine it might go to LP for OSB too.

SwampDonkey

Possibly, but I think it's Domtar. There is also Huber nearby. I believe Domtar pays trucking on the contract.

Thank You Sponsors!