iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rookie questions about timber framing design resources

Started by Jeb, March 08, 2010, 01:04:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

I originially posted this on a different section but I can now see that I should have started here.  So, I'll start over....

We have an old farm house and we need to add a 'great room' onto one side.  I have plenty of timber and would like to build the addition with lumber milled from timber harvested on the property.  Does anyone know of a good source on the net for home / addition plans which utilize beam construction?  Also, I'm looking to purchase book(s) on designing and building with raw timber framing type construction.  Any suggestions on what I must have and what I should not waste my money on?

Thanks for your help.

--Jeb

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jeb on March 08, 2010, 01:04:40 AM
Also, I'm looking to purchase book(s) on designing and building with raw timber framing type construction.  Any suggestions on what I must have and what I should not waste my money on?

I have printed a book list here on this forum section, I'll have to find it and bring it to the top of the list, but you should try and learn how to do "square rule" joinery. It is described in Jack Sobon's second book "How to build a classic timber framed house". If you go the the timber framers guild website and look in their online store under publications you should be able to see and purchase a copy.

When people tell me this is idea, cut my own timbers and make my own addition, I usually tell them to start by having a conversation with their building inspector (if you have one) and see if he will allow it do be done at your site. Sometimes it's no problem, sometimes you have to meet his rules and requirements. You need to know whether or not you can actually do this at your home.

And with just about every timber frame being a unique thing, it's hard to find a set of "stock plans" that will fit your needs. Most frames are custom designed for the client's needs and location.

Jim Rogers

PS. Welcome to the timber framing section and the Forestry forum   
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeb

Hi Jim,

I feel kinda silly.  After posting my question I took the time to read the many posts you have made on this topic and I must say, 90% of the answers are already here on the forum in your postings. Aware of this you still didn't respond in a way that made me feel like a twit. Thanks! I'm moving ahead with the material and will have a better idea next time of specificly what I know I don't know.

I look forward to seeing your annotated bibliography.

Thanks again,

--Jeb

Thank You Sponsors!