iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lightning damage

Started by bandmiller2, March 07, 2010, 04:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I was doing a little timber crusing this afternoon,and was surprised at the number of struck pines.Some just show streaks down the bark outhers blown apart.I've tried to mill them in the past to little avail,now I don't even bother trying.It just seems to delaminate them around the growth rings.Have any of you had any luck milling them??  Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I mill quite a few each year.  An old strike that has "healed" over will be pitchy.  Trees that were killed by the strike may experience damage as you described, especially toward the top.  I turn the logs so that the "streak" will be slabbed off.  Normally the rest will be OK.

This was a lightning killed SYP that produced 2781 bf of scaled lumber.  I don't turn them down... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

This may sound bad but I love lightning season. I go on the prowl after a bad storm looking for struck trees. That is 90% of my lumber. I have 2 to take down this week.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

Quote from: Don K on March 07, 2010, 05:38:52 PM
This may sound bad 

Don't sound bad......Sounds like money to me....... smiley_thumbsup    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kelLOGg

Before I got my mill I felled a lightning damaged pine and a friend milled it for me. Only a strip of bark was blown off; the lumber was OK.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sigidi

A nice pair of logs there Magicman 8)
Always willing to help - Allan

bandmiller2

Lightning is pretty unpredictable stuff,glad you guys have better luck than I,possibly white pine has more water than SYP.Older strikes seem to be full of carpenter ants.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

I have cut lots of lightening killed pine. Most of the time, the butt cut is hard as concrete, rest of the logs OK. Sometimes the lumber will have some beautiful red streaks. For decades, the accepted method locally for re-seeding clearcuts has been to leave a few big seed trees spaced out over the clearcut. Lightening usually gets them. Loggers don't want them for various reasons, so they can usually be obtained for free. Three big ones in my log yard now. Not a scrap of bark left, but sound as fresh cut pine.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!