iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand powered log splitter, the Smar-Splitter??

Started by Chuckolicious, March 07, 2010, 12:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuckolicious

Ernie

Looks pretty handy particularly if you have stump with the hole already there.  does it come with that operator?
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

bandmiller2

Looks like it would help city folk types from getting hurt, but I think its use would get old fast.For a limited amout of hand splitting its hard to beat one of those monster mauls.Only my opinion.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

RSteiner

That reminds me too much of the days when I had to change truck tires and use a similar looking device to break the bead.

I think I going to stick with my Super Split wood splitter.  ;D

Randy
Randy

firechief

Looked like some pretty dry wood they were splitting, would like to see it go through a nice size round of wet oak.

MudBud

Randy, I have a mid 70's Super Split as well and that thing is worth its weight in gold!  My father-in-law bought it from the original maker in Mass and when I went to order springs for it they couldn't even tell me what they were and sent me the wrong ones.  I did find them via McMaster Carr.  the machine is priceless and all my friends are envious as they can't keep up with their hydraulic units.

Bill

Quote from: bandmiller2 on March 07, 2010, 05:35:09 PM
Looks like it would help city folk types from getting hurt, but I think its use would get old fast.For a limited amout of hand splitting its hard to beat one of those monster mauls.Only my opinion.Frank C.

Ditto on that monster maul - got one some 25 or so years back and for a younger guy it worked really well - steel triangular head and I never could break the steel handle    8)

Still like to dig it out once and awhile just for old times sake

trapper

When i dont have enough to bring out the hydraulic splitter i use the monster maul  also.  bought one years ago and found a second at a rummage sale for $5
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Ernie

I thought that I would check this "Smart Splitter" out so i emailed the local NZ distributor and asked a few questions.

Here is his reply.

"Hi Ernie,
Tried the splitter on some green wattle and a bit of gum over the weekend.
Works fine on the straight, lighter stuff and struggles on heavier or
knotty stuff.
My experience with green gum is that it can be real hard work. I've had to
cut a fair few of lumps of gum apart with the chainsaw to extract TWO
jammed regular splitters and if you're aiming to tackle this sort of work,
I'd suggest the Smart Splitter is not for you. One thing I try to make sure
people understand is that the Smart Splitter is NOT an alternative to a
hydraulic splitter.
If you dealing with wood so tough that the axe bounces off it, the Smart
Splitter won't be the answer. It's basically a light axe. Most people like
the fact that the Smart Splitter is easier to use and is safer, but I
imagine someone who knows what they're doing with a good axe would be less
impressed.
Hope this helps.
cheers,
Murray "
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

stonebroke

ErikC

That guy's not trying to sell a super-split, he's trying to help ernie get his firewood cut. It's too bad all dealerships aren't that straight-up about the products they sell. :-\
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Ernie

Quote from: ErikC on March 21, 2010, 11:57:22 PM
That guy's not trying to sell a super-split, he's trying to help ernie get his firewood cut. It's too bad all dealerships aren't that straight-up about the products they sell. :-\

You must remember, this is New Zealand and we are waaaaay behind the times.  I happen to like it that way.

ErikC

We still have some old fashioned types here and there ;) But as a country we are light years ahead of that old technique now  :-X
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

splitter

I'll stick to my homemade hyd. wood splitter that lifts the wood off the ground and splits two or four ways hydraulicly. Splitter

Ernie

Quote from: splitter on March 23, 2010, 06:40:43 AM
I'll stick to my homemade hyd. wood splitter that lifts the wood off the ground and splits two or four ways hydraulicly. Splitter

That sounds interesting, Got any pics, we love pictures ;D

Thank You Sponsors!