iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too rustic?

Started by Dana, March 07, 2010, 09:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I was playing around yesterday with a Maple log that was too cool to cut for firewood. It is hollow, and has a limb that comes off the side which could be used as a seat as is shown in the pictures. I split the log in half on the mill. Using a few dried slabs, I mocked up these designs. My question is, would you use this as a bench as shown, or, as two seperate hall type tables? Also, is this too rustic to sell? Obviously there is a bit more to do before this would be a finished project.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Patty

Personally I like them. I think they would be perfect for on the patio or under a shade tree. I like to see folks use their imagination and wood they have on hand for projects....you did good, Dana!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Warbird

That would look great outside a cabin up here.  I have seen something kind of like that used as steps up to the front door of a cabin.

SwampDonkey

I would want to keep in on a roofed porch or under an awning to keep the weather off it. Maple won't last long out in the open. Make a bench for the cabin porch. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

Keep the pair together. Like stated keep'em under roof.

Irowood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

With the pair together, that is way cool  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ErikC

If you removed the bark, and put a nice finish on it it would be a high-end log home furnishing, not a rustic bench. I like it either way :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

thecfarm

I like it as a bench myself.Do you sell things like this?I like the way it looks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dana

Thanks for the input everyone. :) I like the look of it as a bench myself. However, if it dosen't sell, I don't have any room for such a large piece in our home. (S.D. I haven't made much progress on the log cabin.) Erik interesting comment on removing the bark, I wonder which way would have the most appear and value? If used for steps it would have to be an interior use. As mentioned maple dosen't take weather well.

CFarm, I haven't sold anything like this. With the economy slowing down I am looking for supplimental income. Working with live edged slabs is one of the ideas I am tossing about. I have been sawing some nicely figured slabs and have had an interest in making furniture from them for a while.

Dana

I took Erik's suggestion and removed the bark. 

fishpharmer

That's awesome looking.  Very cool.  And I thought it was great before you took the bark off.  Better now.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Paul_H

There is a lot of potential there,Dana.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Dana

Quote from: fishpharmer on March 09, 2010, 09:13:51 PM

That's awesome looking.  Very cool.  And I thought it was great before you took the bark off.  Better now.
I agree, I had some back and forth thoughts on doing it. Tomorrow I will clean up the other half.

Dana

One question. The slabs are green and full of moisture. About all I can do is seal the ends, short of having them kiln dried?

trapper

how did you remove the bark?  I have some interesting hollow pices for my wife to use for flowerpots.
Marv
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

ErikC

Very nice looking, and unique. Someone will want it, I'm sure. :)
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Dana

Quote from: trapper on March 13, 2010, 10:03:44 AM
how did you remove the bark?  I have some interesting hollow pices for my wife to use for flowerpots.
Marv
Marv, I beat the bark off with a hammer. Be careful not to hit it too hard or you will crack the underlying wood. I don't think this would work too well if the log is completely dead. The underlying moisture lets it "slip" off.

SwampDonkey

When it dried out it will just fall off from shrinkage. Mine does every winter in the wood pile. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Dana, every time that I look at those stumps I cannot believe how unique that they are  8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dana

Quote from: WDH on March 14, 2010, 12:05:50 PM
Dana, every time that I look at those stumps I cannot believe how unique that they are  8).
I spent a half a day, last week, looking for a few more in our woods and didn't have any luck.

Meadows Miller

Gday

Dana looking good your onto a nice niech there keep it up and thinking outside the box costomers love it   ;)   ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) have alook at my familys other business at www.heartlandlogstructures.com.au you'll see some pics of work dad and i have done in the past couple of years  ;) ;D 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

WDH

Chris,

I really like the table and stools!

Dana

Great idea on the stools as wdh said. The table next to the brick wall is pretty cool as well.

Thank You Sponsors!