iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

31% over Doyle scale

Started by Larry, October 12, 2003, 05:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

Had a guy bring me some walnut logs yesterday.  All in the 13-15" range 8' long and about average or below.  He had me scale them Doyle.  Told him they would saw out about 10 to 20% over scale on the bandmill but sorta took it as a challenge.  Had the option to saw either 8/4 or 4/4 -- however I could get the most lumber.

Took every board I could from the butt swell and pushed the wane rules to the hilt for FAS and 1C.  Ended up sawing 31% over scale.  Just wondering how the rest of you do?  I'm happy with my 10 to 20% over but maybe I need to push the envelope a little more.

I also trimmed all of the short boards with the chainsaw, as I won't let an ugly board leave the farm.  Any thoughts on trimming?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ARKANSAWYER

Larry,
  If you saw for every board and go by the rules that is about right.   I can get 50 bdft out of a 12 inch log and it scales 32 on the Doyle.   Thats about a 50% overrun and you will get atleast a 25% overrun up to about 18 inches.   I use the rules for wane on the stuff I sell green wholesale since they use the rules in their favor when they can.   Besides it makes sense for people to leave a little wane so they can trim up square after drying because they are going to have to.   That is why there are straight line rip saws.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

dtody

I've watched a number of demo's and and helped sawyers at work, but you mentioned "the rules of wane."   Are there specifics in the general basics of sawmilling, and is there a book or something that illustrates a lot of the basics?  My saw is arriving Wednesday and reviewing the tips for maximum yield would help.  Thanks.

Texas Ranger

Doyle is like that, punishes the small diameter and gets in line on the 16 -18 inch level.  Developed in the old days when the mills really didn't want to mess with small logs, and turned into a gift in modern times.  I thought the Doyle was used primarilly in the south, but guess it may have migrated north.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kevin_H.

We buy logs on the doyle here, but then again we are in So. Illinois.  ;D

We are just now getting into buy logs again as our production is starting to use up more then our free tree service logs.

For what we are doing 14" to 16" logs seem to work out best, but it's kinda hard to tell the logger you only want 16" logs :P
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Ron Wenrich

Foresters still try to sell on the International scale, but the loggers around here are all on the Doyle scale.  They sell logs on the Doyle, so it makes sense to them to buy trees on the Doyle.

When you get further north in PA, you'll find some mills that are starting to use the Scribner scale, especially in the cherry areas where they like to cut small logs.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!