iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for plans for milled lumber

Started by Jeb, March 07, 2010, 02:03:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeb

We have an old farm house and we need to add a 'great room' onto one side.  I have plenty of timber and would like to build the addition with lumber milled from timber harvested on the property.  Does anyone know of a good source on the net for home / addition plans which utilize beam construction?

Thanks for your help.

--Jeff

sigidi

Jeb I did a quick google search;

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=renovation+plans+using+beam+construction&rls=com.microsoft:en-au&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1&redir_esc=&ei=2nOTS4_cJY3-7AOmmdTLCQ

take a look, I wasn't sure exactly what might be suitable, but you should be able to get something useful from it.

Let us know how ya go.
Always willing to help - Allan

Jeb

Thanks Sigidi.  I appreciate the link. I've looked and I've only found links to various firms who will do plans for you.  I may end up doing something like that but I wanted to get a rough idea for free first.  I should have mentioned that I'm also interested in published materials on this topic.  I've located a couple books and wonder if you or anyone else might have some personal experience with these or other resources:

Build a Classic Timber-Framed House: Planning... (Paperback) by Jack A. Sobon
Building the Timber Frame House: The Revival of a Forgotten Art (Paperback) by Todd Benson

Thanks All!

--Jeb

logman

Hi Jeb, you might get more response on the Timber Framing section.  I have and use the two books you mentioned and also have Jack Sobon's book "Timber Frame Construction" plus a bunch of other books by Benson, Chappell, etc.
The Timber Framers Guild has a small timber frame plan book and other publications.  Goshen Timber Frames in Franklin,NC sells predrawn timber frame plans. 
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

DouginUtah

Have you checked as to what is allowed in Virginia?

http://www.dhcd.virginia.gov/StateBuildingCodesandRegulations/PDFs/2006/2006_VirginiaConstructionCode.pdf

Virginia has adopted the International Residential Code statewide.

You probably should check with your county building inspectors as to what extent ungraded lumber can be used. Will your plans have to have an engineering stamp also?
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeb

Hey Thanks.  You are right. I should have posted this on the "Timber Framing Section".  I'll try to repost there.

I apprectiate the heads up about the Virginia state buiilding code.  Will deffinitely have to pay attention to that.

Thanks again,

--Jeb

Thank You Sponsors!