iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hatching Goose Eggs

Started by Magicman, March 06, 2010, 02:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

A friend brought 11 goose eggs over for me to incubate.  I'll use the deep homemade one for these large eggs.  Chicken, duck, and peacock eggs are as large as will fit in the "store bought" one.

It'll wait about a week to candle them and see if anything is happening.  I have no idea what species these are, but I suspect that they are Chinese or something.  I didn't get a chance to ask.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Interesting project. My uncle had geese for a few years many moons ago. His were white geese and he never clipped them. He let his go to the hay shed where they nested. Once hatched they would follow the adults to a spring out in the field, have a little swim and return to the hay shed. One day one of the adults got killed by a dog. The pair did not have goslings at the time. In a day or two of mourning for it's lost mate it took to flight and left, never to be seen again. I think the female was killed. I know with Canada geese the female (with mate) will always return to where it was born.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

That's pretty cool! When our boys were young we had an incubator. We hatched duck eggs and the little ducklings immediately became attached to our youngest boy. Followed him everywhere. Then we hatched pheasant eggs, and gave them to our old mother hen to protect. She did her best, but when she needed them to gather under her wings for protection, they instead scattered and ran for the hills. Old mother hen about had a conniption trying to gather them in before the cat ate them. The cat won. :-X
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Banjo picker

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

That is sad... :(

Magic if they are Canadian Geese eggs, eat them.    They are trying to eat all my ryegrass >:( pastures before the cows.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Banjo picker

James that is sad too....not what I was refering to exatly...kind of like the deer up here ..in your case....I have an attachment to getting the little fowels out of the shells myself...once I had a bantum setting on some guinea fowl eggs in a little hen houe I had at the time...I would close th door about dark each night to keep the opossums and coons out...I went to close th e door one evening and the hen was sitting on the floor....there was a chicken snake in her nest eating the eggs.....I shot the snake...cut it open ...took the eggs out and put them back in the nest ..put the hen back on them and most hatched....The hen raised a clutch of eaten eggs....Too bad the guienes were so stupid as to play chicken with cars...Sad..again I guess....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

fishpharmer

I am just kidding about eating them.... I think. 

That's a cool story about the getting the eggs out of the snake.  I love seeing eggs hatch and grow too.  But the cows help pay the bills, geese don't.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

I candled these eggs last night.  I know it's early, but I really don't think that they are any good.  I'll keep turning them and check them again in about a week.  I should see some blood vessels by then.

I've hatched ducks, chickens, peacocks, swans, and turkeys.  These are my first goose eggs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Fla._Deadheader

I was told Goose eggs are very difficult to hatch.   I knew a woman that would cut a plug of sod out of her yard, and use that in the incubator, to help keep the humidity high. Takes more humidity-wetness with Goose eggs.

We hatched Pheasant and Bobwhite Quail. Kids were mesmerized when the eggs started moving and opening.

Too bad most kids today, never see or learn that stuff.  ::) ::)  That's the sad part.  :(
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

SwampDonkey

My uncle raised all kinds of pheasants and wild fowl to. Also had silver fox right next door to the bird cages, and on the other side of the bird cages some red deer.  ;D :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Magicman

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on March 12, 2010, 08:33:40 AM
Takes more humidity-wetness with Goose eggs.

I have all of the water cups full, so my humidity should be OK.  I just don't like the way the yokes are floating in these eggs.  I don't think that they are good, but time will tell.

Fla._Deadheader

Those shells are pretty thick. Can you actually see inside them ???  Can you see the spider ???  IF it is stuck to the inside of the shell, you are busted. Everything HAS to float for the start of creation.

Do you know if the eggs were turned or elevated every day, before you got them ???  We used to put a small dot from a Sharpie on them, to know if they were turned every day.

Sounds like you have experience. I'm just trying to jog the grey matter a little.  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Magicman

Sometimes it seems like I am the neighborhood "mother hen".  Folks bringing eggs.  I have had both incubators full and going several times.  The guy that brought these was very vague about their history.  Oh well, we'll know more in a week.

Magicman

Well, today is "Hatching Day".  Only 3 of the eggs were good.  Some were not fertile and some had bacteria growing inside of the shell.  Anyway, three hatched this afternoon and two grandsons got to watch the action...... :)

The last one pushing out.

Now all three are free....... :)  What a miracle.

Don K

You didn't tell me you were setting eggs. I usually hatch a batch of chicks every year. Think I'll skip a year.

Don

Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

SwampDonkey

What do you feed them at this stage Magicman? Looking great grandpa.  smiley_beertoast

Magicman

Purina "chick starter" works well.  In this case, since I was incubating them for someone else, I just called them and informed them that they were Daddy.  The family came over, and I was "chick free"...... :)

isawlogs

Is that a home made incubator .. I would like to make one and hatch a batch of chicks. If you built it .. what did you use .. ???  :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on April 09, 2010, 08:08:13 PM
Is that a home made incubator ..

Yup, homemade.  The bottom is a thick styrofoam crabmeat shipping cooler.  There are 8 water cups made from 1/2 of the lid from paint spray cans.  I fill 4 for the first 3 weeks and then all 8.  They also serve as legs for the wire to rest on.  There are vent holes around the sides as well as the top.  The heat source is three  7 watt light bulbs.  I bought the thermostat from the seed/feed store.  There is really no substitute for a storebought thermostat.  The eggs should be turned each day.  The temperature is set at about 99oF.  I have a plexiglas window in the top so that I can see inside to check the temperature, etc.

Samuel

Congrats on the new additions to your family :D
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Thank You Sponsors!