iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Monster red oak, got a question.

Started by Don K, March 05, 2010, 10:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

Today I was given a red oak log in exchange for a few of the boards. Thing is, it is about 60 inches on the butt and about 48 on the little end. About 12 ft long I'm guessing, I haven't put a tape on it. I know it will have to be split with a chainsaw before I can do anything with it. Might even be to much trouble, but I am hardheaded and I see all kinds of wide QS boards spilling out of this thing.

All I have is a husky with a 20" bar, but might have access to a saw with a possible 36" bar. My question is, would a skiptooth chain be better for ripping this monster? I can mill it in place if I can break it down. Throw me a few suggestions and we'll see what we come up with.

Sunday I will get some pics and a few measurements. It has some heart rot, maybe 12 inches or so about 4 foot deep, but a lot of meat between there and the skin.

Where is a swinger when you need one? :-\

Don

Hah!!! Haven't been on much last few days so I see I have basically asked the same question as the one a few threads down. Let me go see what you fine fellas had to say so far. ;D ;D :D
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

I know someone here in Meridian with a lucas and the big slabber. 
Also, I know someone close with a big Stihl 880 and 41" bar if you want to quarter it? ;)   And if you don't want to fool with it, my wife says I need another big log in the yard :D :D ;D
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

footer

I have a stihl 084 and have a 60 bar with rip chain, not a skip tooth, and it has no problem ripping. I have quartered up to a 48" red oak with it.  Im thinking if you have acess to a saw with a 36 inch bar, you can GETR DONE, with some patience..

Don K

Funny thing is James, I do want to fool with it. I love a challenge. I have used the last of my oak lumber for a entertainment center I have in the works. Need to replenish my supply. ;D

Footer, I might be thinking of a rip chain. Never had use for one before now.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

fishpharmer

Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2010, 10:40:55 PM
Funny thing is James, I do want to fool with it. I love a challenge.

I figured it was worth a try ;)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2010, 10:40:55 PMI might be thinking of a rip chain. Never had use for one before now.  Don

You need an excuse for more toys  ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

This is one time I might need some help. ;D ;D :D  This is the biggest fricking log I've ever seen up close except Tim's cypress in MS. at Perkinston.
Don

Don K

MM, I have about toyed out for now. ::) Need to generate some cash flow. :-\

Don

footer

Quote from: Magicman on March 05, 2010, 10:47:04 PM
Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2010, 10:40:55 PMI might be thinking of a rip chain. Never had use for one before now.  Don

You need an excuse for more toys  ???

Yup...>Thats how I got the 60 inch bar and rip chain. The one job paid for it 8)

fishpharmer

Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2010, 10:48:01 PM
This is one time I might need some help. ;D ;D :D  This is the biggest fricking log I've ever seen up close except Tim's cypress in MS. at Perkinston.
Don

The one he cut up, that was here............

Don K

That is the where it was. Terry has a good pic of it.

Don

fishpharmer

Quote from: Don K on March 05, 2010, 11:05:43 PM
That is the where it was. Terry has a good pic of it.

Don

Indeed he does.  Is your oak log bigger?

Don K

I don't think so. Pretty darn big though to me. Jay is coming over to play on his new swing set tomorrow so I won't have time to get any pics before heading to work, but I plan too Sun. I will put a tape to it too.

Don

Radar67

Don, your 20 inch bar will get it close, and a hydraulic jack will pop it in half.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

metalspinner

Wow, that's a nice looking cypress! When I was growing up in Morgan City, LA. and bopping around the woods, there were cypress that big and bigger. It's awsome to stand next to 'em. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Where is Jake when you need him  :) ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

wdncno

Hey folks- this worked for me - cut yourself about a dozen wedges fairly long 12 to 18 inches, but all the same. cut as deep as you can along the log an down both ends and start to drive the wedges in. A it starts to split make larger wedges and when it is open enough, get a jack in it and jack it apart.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: wdncno on March 07, 2010, 09:15:57 AM
Hey folks- this worked for me - cut yourself about a dozen wedges fairly long 12 to 18 inches, but all the same. cut as deep as you can along the log an down both ends and start to drive the wedges in. A it starts to split make larger wedges and when it is open enough, get a jack in it and jack it apart.

Wdncno,

Good job.

And I'm sure you're gonna post photos of it all soon since as Magicman remined me recently, if there ain't no pictures then it didn't happen!  :D

Herb

backwoods sawyer

I have has a black oak that just did not want to "pop" apart until the two halves were almost flat. There was only about 3" of wood holding and the handyman jack was at full extension. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Precision Wood Products

I use a o88 Stihl With 54" bar for quartering my cottonwood logs. The logs are up to 5' through. I have never used a ripping chain but just a crosscut chain. I stand the logs on end and start at the top and cut down. By the time I hit the bottom they fall apart about 4" from the bottom. It takes about 7 minutes for a 8' log.

Don K

I got a few pics of the log today. It was 60" on the butt, 48" on the little end , and 11 feet long. It has a little punk here and there but should yield a lot of good boards. I am going to use the calculator to get a rough weight.

I hope my cousins tractor is up to rolling this thing around while we quarter it. :-\  Mine is to little. ::)

Don

Magicman

You're going to do fine.  Rolling won't be a problem.  Those checks/cracks will probably help you with the splitting.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Don K

If you look at the little end pic you can see one of two grown over limb sockets. They are exactly opposite each other. I will saw them off as they will act like chocks. Might have some interesting character in them. I might start a opening split with my saw this week before fishpharmer brings over the big dog.

Don

pineywoods

I'll bet if you filled the hollow in the little end with black powder, you won't need fishpharmer's giant chainsaw  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

west penn

Don,  Don't know how most feel about it but have "popped "many good sized logs with a little black powder and a fuse from dixie gun works. Makes a big bang but if your log is straight grained with no big knots, it will split nearly as clean as you can do with an undersized chainsaw. I won't print the details  here but if your interested I will send my email add.

Magicman

Welcome, west penn.  Tell us a little about yourself.

west penn

Hi Folks, I'm writing from western pa near the ohio line bout halfway between pittsburg and erie. I've owned a woodmizer sawmill since 84 when  we bought a L t 30 with no hydraulics and in 94 purchased a Lt40 hd. I do a lot of custom sawing on weekends and also have a kiln and supply a few cabinet shops with grade lumber- oak cherry maple and some poplar ash etc. Also build a few pallets for the shop where I work during the week. Keeps me moving but I like it. My son is a cabinet maker for a local company so we are always making sawdust of some sort.

Lt40hd
    ebac kiln
    nyle L200 in progress
    Massey 204 forklift
    pallet knotcher
    stake pointer

fishpharmer

DonK, that sounds like a plan.

West Penn, welcome to Forestry Forum.   8)

woodbe

I just picked up a White Oak that was 62" at the but and 48" at the small end  unfortunately  it is only about 7' long. We  had  a mid size track hoe and a old sky track to help with the job. Isn't it nice to have grate friends with nice toys / equipment . It was a free be from the friend with the track hoe for helping with the tree removal. We will have to rip it down to get it on my mill as well. This thing is quite heavy.  Good luck with the one you got .

Woodbe

Don K

I guess I will do it the hard way. I don't know anything about black powder and it is in a populated area. Might scare someone. ;)

Using the weight calculator and throwing in some variables, this log should weigh between 10,500 and 11,500 lbs. Biggest thing I've ever had to fool with.

Welcome to the forum west penn and woodbe.  Glad to have you both. James, I am leaning towards next Mon. Tues. if that would be better for you.

Don

beenthere

Quote from: Don K on March 07, 2010, 11:27:56 PM
........... I don't know anything about black powder and it is in a populated area. Might scare someone. ;)

Well ya could paint up a 55 gal drum, set it out by the road with a big Campbells Bean logo on it....Then when the neighbors drive by for a look they will maybe get the drift.  ;D ;D ;D ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

QuoteI don't know anything about black powder and it is in a populated area. Might scare someone.

Put up posters and sell tickets to watch the bang. 8) :D
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

Quartersaw some 8/4.  It is hard to find.  What you don't need for your own use, you can sell on Craigslist.

I have a big cherrybark to do as well, so I will learn from your experience  ;D.  I just need a Fishpharmer with a big saw and then......
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

stonebroke

Those logs sure do look like swinger logs.No moving, no rolling just cutting.

Stonebroke

barbender

A swinger does work nice on that stuff.  I have a 4' diameter white pine I need to quarter up to get on my mill, I'll just use a regular chain. I've ripped lots of logs in half with regular chain, it works fine.
Too many irons in the fire

sigidi

Just to help out fellow forum members - I'll happily chuck Bo Derek over any of ya logs for free :o 8) ;D

Only thing I'd get ya to pay is our travel expenses.

But seriously you fella's with big logs sitting around, find a swinger off the forum to come over and slice 'em up for ya, but regardless put up some pics ;D ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

Don K

There are no swingers close to me that I know of, besides that would make it too easy.  ;D

Don

backwoods sawyer

Same here, no swingers near by, (We are talking sawmills right?) I would gladly trade milling a deck of small logs, or other services, for someone to bust this big fir down with a swing mill. However since that has not been an option I have a 60" bar on the old saw that will get the job done.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Don K

I went this morning and made a starting cut on the log. I had a brand new 20" Carlton bar and new Woodpro chain I ordered from Baileys during their sale last month. Cut two lightning strike pines with it yesterday. Man, I love the way a new chain cuts.  ;D

Anyway, it didn't take any time at all to rip down this log. Even went full depth down the ends. The new chain was pulling long curls out on the ends.  :) Now it will be a cinch with fishpharmers 41" bar next week. I'd say in less than a hour that baby will be laid open in 4 pieces and ready to go on the mill. Don't worry James, the big boy will get his chance to snarl through some wood.

Now I just need to find a monster white oak to saw. I ain't skeered of the big ones no more. :D :D ;D

I can't wait to saw this thing up. :)

Danny, speaking of 8/4 boards, do you saw a little over for a planed 2" board or start at 2"?

Don

Magicman

Looking  :o good !!!  If I had cut a line that straight, I would have taken a picture too.... 8)

metalspinner

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Mooseherder

Quote from: Magicman on March 09, 2010, 03:23:30 PM
Looking  :o good !!!  If I had cut a line that straight, I would have taken a picture too.... 8)

That line is amazingly straight. ;)

Norm

footer

WDH

Beautiful job, Don  8).

On my LT15, I use the magnetic standard scale and just drop down two 4/4 cuts for 8/4.  Since the middle cut on the scale is skipped (remember, you dropped down two cuts on the 4/4 scale), the 1/8" kerf from the 4/4 cut that was not made adds 1/8" to the board, yielding a thickness of 2 & 1/8".  I do it that way because it is easy  :).  With your fancy accuset, you are not as scale challenged as I am  ;D.

Don K

Nice looking log, footer. Thanks Danny.

Don

Dodgy Loner

I'm with Danny- I just skip a setting on the 4/4 scale to saw 8/4. That way, it doesn't screw with the thickness of the cant. If I skipped around between different scales while sawing the cant down, I would either have to plan way ahead (ha!) or end up with an odd-thickness dog board (which is what would actually happen :)).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

Anytime I'm sawing say, 4/4 and the customer wants an 8/4, I just drop the Setworks down two times.  I tell the customer that it will be 1/8th thicker,  and they are always agreeable.  As DL said....keeps from messing stuff up..... ;D

bill m

We don't see oak that big growing out in the woods very often is these parts. This is one I cut on my job this winter.

We only cut a little bit of the fair Oak and hardwood this winter. If the price comes back we will be cutting the good Oak next winter.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Don K

Fishpharmer came over today and brought the big saw and we quartered the red oak. Popped it open with a small bottle jack. Got one 1/4 sawn, but it was a job as I have never sawn anything this awkward. Each quarter is app. 2500lbs, big as most of my pine sawlogs.

James with the saw going deep.

1/4ing a halve

The deed done.

Most of the boards from the first 1/4 were QS 11" and 10". Probably got between 15 and 20 boards so far. I didn't have a camera hand free so James will have to show ya'll something. I was too busy cutting and flipping.

Don

Magicman

Wow guys, a good plan comes together.  I'm anxious to see the lumber...... 8)

WDH

James looks good sawing that log, nicely decked out with chaps, ear, eye, and head protection.  Uh oh, Don, you are looking a little naked there  :D.

Nice job.  Don, you should be able to make some super projects from that tree that will give you lifelong memories of the challenges to acquire  8).

Radar67

That tree was bigger than it appeared in the first few pictures. I sure wish I could have got over there. Work is a pain at times, but it is nice to have a job.

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

Don K

Danny, I've been naked since the day I was born.  :D :D ;) I must tell about the landowner's father that showed up. He was priceless. I wished I could have talked to him more.

I am rotten with name memory, but I believe this is Mister Frank.

He showed up right after we had jacked open the big log and he said he had seen a lot of trees cut different ways but never like that. As we got ready to split the first half I pulled out my plastic wedges. He said "Look at that, I have never seen wedges made from plastic. He said I needed to make some from green persimmon. They would pop that log right open."  I did cut one from a 3" oak limb and he said we were gonna do something now. Look real good about middle of the left half and you can see the wooden wedge.  Later when I pulled out the Logrite cant hooks he looked at his son and said " lookee there Joe, them peaveys are all metal. Never had anything like that." As James pulled the big saw out again he said that if they would have had a saw like that there would not be a tree left standing today. The last thing I heard him say that day was will I was sawing on the mill. He told me that thing would sure cut mighty nice. I'm sure a few more gems came from him yesterday and I hate I wasn't able to hear them.

I am making some good memories with my friends from the forum and my new Woodmizer.

Don

fishpharmer

DonK has himself a nice big log for sure.  Here are a few pics of the highlights.  There are more in my  gallery.

DonK standing at big end of log

Most of the work had been done by DonK and his chainsaw.  I did a little trimming.  There were big cracks everywhere ;)

The little bottle jack earned its keep.

Red Oak on the Half Shell. 

The husky did good at the hands of Don.

Correct me if I am wrong DonK.  The fella in brown had this tree growing in his yard.  The fella in blue was the first fella's daddy.  The older man said in his first recollections of that red oak it was very large, now he was 80 and it was huge.

The fella on the left in the white Alabama Champion Hat is DonK's daddy.

DonK's Duramax gotrdone, moving the logs around.  He didn't seem to appreciate me offering my Powerstroke if his wasn't up to the job ;)

We went back to Don's place to get a few tools.....

A ghost driver was trying to attack me from behind on Don's tractor.

The layout

The tractor sure helped to get the log to the mill.  I was too wore out to push it anymore :D :D
The LT40 didn't grunt.

DonK getting log where he wanted it.

Its bigger than it looks

The reward

The hydraulic clamp and turner were awesome.

Yea Baby 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

That log didn't have a chance against Don.

Edging

One quarter way done. Hope you enjoyed it.   I am tired. 8) 8) 8)

beenthere

Great pics, and thanks.

Chainsaw chaps are a good idea, IMO.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

Great job guys!

Really enjoyed the picture show. :)

Magicman

The log/lumber took a little work.  Friendship is free and priceless....... :)

Mooseherder

That looks like another great day indeed! 8)

backwoods sawyer

Those over sized logs can be a challenge. Talking with some of the folks and seeing there reactions to the wood that you mill for them can be rewarding. 

Don K

They sure can be. That first quarter really threw me outside the box on my thinking. Learned a few things that will make the next quarter easier.  :P

Don

Magicman

:)  The next everything will be a little different.  We learn something from every job..... 8)

petefrom bearswamp

Wow what a great project.
Beautiful lumber!
Don't have RO that size around here without being yard trees and hardware.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

fishpharmer

Thanks, its not my project, but I was glad to be a part of it. The RO was a yard tree, there is a pic of the stump in my gallery.  And we detected some metal.    DonK hasn't found ot with the blade. Yet.  ;)

WDH

I see some beautiful quarter figure!  And I mean on the lumber from the log  :).

Tom

Good Show!

Y'all did good.  Just look at those pretty boards. What a great job with the chainsaw too.

I'm sure glad you took pictures.  There's going to be some tales to tell Great Grandchildren one day.  :D

fishpharmer

Here is a little clip of DonK jacking the log apart......
I added some random music so you may just want to turn the sound off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIDLVhGN4eY

nas

The music sounds good :)  Looks like Donk is pumping the jack to the beat 8)
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

fishpharmer

In this video, the log comes apart.  Sorry about the bad angles :-[.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAld5ONFBiI

Magicman

Looked   :o  like "teamwork" to me..... :)

Don K

Well, today the last 3 quarters were reduced to a trailer load of boards and some firewood scraps. I have a few pics but I'm whooped. James, I found the metal in the last log. 4 nails evenly spaced near the center of the tree. Those nails have been there a looong time. I was able to cut right down next to them with minimum waste. I think the widest boards were 14".

The Deere was the ticket to moving the sections James. Didn't even grunt. ;D I need a bigger tractor. :-\  I will stack the wood tomorrow and put up a few pics. Thanks for the video.

Don

fishpharmer

Glad to hear you got it done.  Wish I could have been there.  Maybe we should have tried marking the metal better. 

I look forward to the pics. 

Hope you didn't mind the music, I was afraid our northern friends wouldn't understand what we were saying. ;)

pineywoods

Quote from: Don K on March 22, 2010, 11:06:17 PM

The Deere was the ticket to moving the sections James. Didn't even grunt. ;D I need a bigger tractor. :-\  I will stack the wood tomorrow and put up a few pics. Thanks for the video.

Don

Don K you always need a bigger tractor, more power, bigger chain saw etc. there's never any end to it.  ;D
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Don K

The wood is stacked and tallied, so i guess it is time to finish this thread with a few pics from the last day of milling. My stepson helped me saw the last three sections will he is on spring break. The final tally was 580 bd ft ranging from 2" to 18" wide.

First section of the day on the mill.

Different angle.

A sample of what we were getting.

Loading the second section. My 47 hp tractor wouldn't lift them. Had to move up to a 81 horse.

My stepson hamming for his mom. The sections were too big to stay on the loader without some help from the tractor.

On the way up.

I then had to flip it onto the mill with the forks.

There she is ready to cut.

I don't have any pics that I would call tutorial as I was doing good to get the blasted things whittled down. It was quite a learning experience for me. You have to do things a little different with these big ones. Now I'm just waiting for the next one to come along. ;D Maybe in about two years we will build something from the wood to put in the wood working board. :)

Don

Radar67

Don, you have some awesome wood from that log.

backwoods sawyer

This is a hollow over sized oak that milled up. The tree was below the road and over sized. Several other sawyers had turned it down. There was no room to get a tractor into it so I set up with the boom truck so that the quarters and a second log could be drug to the mill. The log owner wanted thick slabs for counter tops and three of the quarters yielded them. But they were to heavy to handle so the boom was used to swing the wood to the other side of the truck to be stacked there. These over sized logs present challenges all there own and can be very addictive as you conquer them.   
Thanks for posting all the pictures.

Magicman

Thanks Don for the "rest of the story"..... :)  You are very correct in stating that every job is a learning experience.  That's part of the joy of being a "sawdust jockey"..... 8)

WDH

Nice!  580 feet is quite a haul from one butt log.   It is amazing how much the big logs cut on the quarter can slow you down. 

The perfect log is 24" with no taper.  I wish they were all perfect  :).

Thank You Sponsors!