iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD440 Clutch Issues

Started by Bobus2003, March 21, 2010, 02:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

So 2 weeks ago i pulled the engine to remove the clutch on my 440 cause it was slipping due to an oil leak.. Ended up replacing the Clutch & Pressure plate.. and still had no clutch, Then found it to be stuck in 2 gears, got that problem fixed, got the machine sorta running (Lasted about and hour).. Well the clutch quit working again.. I have pulled and reinstalled the engine/clutch 12 times in the last 2 weeks (Yes i'm very proficient at it). I have had the flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc to John Deere 3 times for readjustment (Each time they assure me they fixed it), Have had the Flywheel resurfaced, Found that my Clutch Shaft in my tranny was Bent (Has been bent for who knows how long) Replaced that while i had it open, John Deere had me modify my Throw-out bearing Fork to get more throw so maybe it would dis-engage the clutch (fail), Have added length to the Clutch Pedal Rod(Hoping to gain some throw on the Fork) and i have had 2 visits from the JD tech and we still cant get the clutch to Disengage.. I can stick it in gear and start it and i can drive it all day long as long as i don't need to shift or use the clutch too stop.. Anyone got any clues as too what could be wrong? I'm starting to get tired of Skidding with the dozer and 4 chokers..

mr T

I had a similar problem with an Hd5  ended up putting a shim under the pressure plate wasnt getting enough throw Any adjustment on fingers? Jd can probably tell you what throw should be

mr T

Was still thinking on this Is it a reman unit?  their notorious for being out of specs I put one in my  dump truck lasted 2days plates were out of round Try measure thickness of disc  Thats what was wrong with the hd5

Bobus2003

Quote from: mr T on March 21, 2010, 09:16:48 AM
Was still thinking on this Is it a reman unit?  their notorious for being out of specs I put one in my  dump truck lasted 2days plates were out of round Try measure thickness of disc  Thats what was wrong with the hd5

yeah its a reman unit.. JD mentioned that some clutch units used shims under the pressure plate mounting tabs.. but they didn't say if moine was one of them.. it didn't have them when it was first pulled

mr T

Id try putting shims in & trying it Worth a try Sure its the right clutch? I dont trust parts people

arojay

Having followed all of your clutch "adventures" I kind of think you may have been supplied with the wrong clutch too.  Originally your clutch disc got oil on it and started slipping.  Do you still have the old pressure plate?  If so, how about trying a new clutch disc with the old pressure plate(cleaned up with Brakleen).  It sounds like the professionals are on a fishing expedition.  There should be a gauge available for the finger height.  If you have one, or JD has one, use it to compare with your old pressure plate and the reman you have from JD.  Good luck!
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Bobus2003

I ended up pulling it all apart again and put a "Snomobile Ski Shim" under each bolt (between the flywheel and pressure plate) and using a press to test it i found that it worked. Reassembled the skidder and its operational.. for now anyway.. I'm thinking there is prolly something wrong somewhere still but i'll just nurse it along so i can get some wood moved

GRANITEstateMP

I'd check the part numbers on your receipt vs. the actual part numbers and make sure nobody pulled you the wrong part.  Also wouldn't hurt to call another JD dealer and get a part number breakdown just to double check.  Never fun when a simple fix turns everything upside-down.

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

arojay

You can try John Deere parts online too.  Sounds like you are draggin logs anyway for now.  Easy to get fed up with wrenching when you should be logging.  Been there, done that.
440B skidder, JD350 dozer, Husqvarnas from 335 to 394. All spruced up

Thank You Sponsors!