iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gas to electric conversion

Started by bandmiller2, March 05, 2010, 07:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Alls going well with the conversion when I built the mill everything was bolted on in assemblies.Light blowing snow in the outdoor shop yesterday but not awfully cold.15 HP Baldor motor fit perfect on the base,can even reuse the two "B" belts I use as a clutch.Wisconsin two cyl. and all hardware sitting in the tractor shed if I need to reconvert.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

Going from a Wisconson 2 cylinder to a 15hp electric  should be fun...   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jpgreen

I think there is a lot of benefits to going electric for a stationary setup.

I would like to build a sizable woodgas generator to be able to power bout' 25kw on chunk wood, and power a wood chunking machine.

A mill that totally powered itself ... ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Magicman

I'd love to just see/hear one.  I'll bet that quiet "sounds" good..... smiley_grin_earmuff
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Electric is much quieter than a petrol engine but their is still considerable noise.I think most of the noise comes from  the blade guide rollers.You can get a good idea of the band sharpness from its noise, something that is more difficult with an engine.Frank C.

Magicman

With the Lombardini turning 3200 and wearing ear plugs, it's hard for me to hear a band.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Puffergas

I've had an electric and gas powered mill and I still had to wear ear plugs with the electric. I like both.

Jeff
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

Magicman

Since I have no experience with electric, I'm surprised.  What is the noise maker with electric?

Puffergas

It might have been the guide rolls on the band and the zing of the band going through the log.

Jeff
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

logwalker

I run an electric WM and the blade and rollers make a hard edged sound that needs earplugs to be comfortable. Only way for me.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Puffergas

Oh, I push the mill so my ears are close to the sound. I can hear the tone of the blade better with ear plugs. I can also hear the tone of the blade with my Honda gasoline banger better with ear plugs.

Jeff
Jeff

bandmiller2

Finally got mill setup and wired tried it out today 15 hp three phase has plenty of power to run the band and hydraulic pump, band speed is a little under 5000 sfpm and feels right.My hydraulics on the log turner/clamp is moving real slow,hopefully somthing simple as low oil.The mill has lain fallow for two years in the outdoor wherehouse but cut just as true as the last time I used it.I think 10 hp would do the deed for a less than commercial bandmill.Frank C.

Captain

Congrats Frank.  Now when do you want to chew on some cedar??

Captain

bandmiller2

Soon Cappy,as soon as I get the hydraulic clamp straighted out.Kinda figured I'd be hearing from you.Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!