iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Galvanized Pipe for Hydraulic Lines?

Started by Bobus2003, March 05, 2010, 01:05:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

I  was gettin some pipe to Re-route my Hydraulic lines on my Link Belt for the Processor head.. I was gonna replace it with the same as came off of it 1" Galvanized pipe.. But I was told when I was getting it that I cant use Galvinized Pipe with Hydraulic Oil cause it will break down in the oil and possibly have Galvinized flakes floating through the oil.. I was told to use Black Pipe instead.. any truth too this? Part of the arguement on the Galvinized is that the Filter will pick up any flakes taht may get into the oil.

LeeB

I would be wary of galvanized more due to the pressure rating than any thing else and black pipe as well. Make sure you get a high enough grade to handle the pressures you are working with.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Dana

Bobus2003 I have never used galvanized pipe in a hydraulic system for the reason you mentioned. I Googled galvanized pipe for hydraulic lines and came up with this link that is in agreement with that thought. http://www.hydraulicspneumatics.com/200/eBooks/Article/True/24755/
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Dan_Shade

i would not do that.

plumbing pressures are much less than equipment hydraulic pressures
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

I used 1/2 inch black pipe on all 3 of the woodmizers I added hydraulics on. Never had a problem. Just tie the pipe down so it won't vibrate. But  I have busted my share of hoses.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Papa1stuff

Galvanized is a nono but black pipe is Ok ,Have used it on my grader Oked by manufacturer!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

DouginUtah

Can anyone tell me what maximum pressure (PSI) a WM produces?  ???
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

quietrangr

I replaced all my loader pipes with galvanized two and a half years ago. No problems so far. But that flaking off thing does make sense.

footer

Technically, you should use schedule 80 black pipe for hydraulics, but like others have said, you might get by with schedule 40, just be aware that 1/2 schedule 40 black pipe is only rated for about 214 psig working pressure, so there is high probability of ruptureing a pipe. I wouldnt use Galvanized.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/astm-steel-pipes-working-pressure-d_775.html

Bobus2003

I don't think I have alot of Pressure, Mostly Just Volume I think the Pressure is Developed in the head, but I could be wrong.. Havent ruptured a Pipe yet, just tend to snag them pulling them out of the brackets and bending them so they won't go back in the brackets..

Well maybe I'll just replace it all With Sched 80 Black Pipe instead of the Sched 40 Galvinized pipe

Jamie_C

Quote from: Bobus2003 on March 06, 2010, 12:13:32 AM
I don't think I have alot of Pressure, Mostly Just Volume I think the Pressure is Developed in the head, but I could be wrong.. Havent ruptured a Pipe yet, just tend to snag them pulling them out of the brackets and bending them so they won't go back in the brackets..

Well maybe I'll just replace it all With Sched 80 Black Pipe instead of the Sched 40 Galvinized pipe

Pressure should be developed at the carrier and not at the head, the valve bank on the head merely distributes the pressure and flow for each function.

I'd definitely stick to the sched 80 black pipe, we run 4300 psi on our carrier and it stands those pressures fine.

shinnlinger

I was under the impression galvy pipe was not coated on the inside....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

wewacountryboy

Jonathan Hanson

captain_crunch

Galvinizeing is an electric coating prosess so it is coated inside also(I have cut and threaded several miles of it in my time) The Older pipe(domestic) was lots better quality than new import(can't imagine why) All the hyd fellers I know of say NEVER use galv for hyd lines. Got to remember oil only gets to filter after it has went thru valves and cylinders
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

footer

Galvinized pipe, is galvanized for a reason.  Because it is water pipe, and it is hot dipped to coat the inside, to resist corrosion from the water flowing through it. The outside is galvinized as a result of being submersed in the molten zink. Unless there is another  form of galvinized pipe that I have never heard of, standard shedule 40 galvanized pipe is galvinized to protect the inside from water.

Thank You Sponsors!