iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

toe board won't go down

Started by panman, March 04, 2010, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panman

I bought a used Woodmizer LT40HD, I've been performing a little maintainance.
The hydraulic reservoir was very low, I put in about 2 quarts of ATF fluid.
Turned everything on discovered, that the hose fitting on the rear toeboard is cracked. Fluid all over. 
When I was trying the hydraulic levers, I raised the front toeboard, now it won't go down.
The rear one will go down, so I'm thinking the toeboard release is working.
Any ideas?
Another question: I noticed that the belts on the band wheel's, are loose in the tracks.
Is this a problem?
This machine has sat for a number of years without use.
Jim

Bibbyman

How old is your "new" LT40?   Does it have the roller style toe boards or are they like bars on top of a cylinder? 

If it's the older style bar type, then the cylinder is returned by force of the spring.  Something could be sticking it and keeping it from returning.

On the newer style with rollers,  the cylinders are double action so the valve is not opening or the line is clogged.

The belts one the blade wheels are meant to be loose.  Some buy the next shorter belt and force them on tight.

If you don't get the right answer here,  the Wood-Mizer tech support guys will help you figure out the problem.  They're good guys and they know their stuff.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

bandmiller2

Good chance you have air in the hydraulic cylinder.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

panman

Mine has the bar type top, its a 94.
Looks like it should be an easy fix, I'll check tomorrow.
Went out binged her a couple of times with a hammer, went back down. Must have been a little twisted in the pipe, she's working good now.
Thanks for the info.
Frank;
I was reading in the manual about that, do I just unscrew the hose some at the cylinder, and let the air bleedout?
Jim

captain_crunch

Most of the time you can purge the air by just working system a bit
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Chuck White

I think the biggest culprit to cause the toe boards to "not" go down is forgetting to lower them before you turn a log that's resting on one of them.
When you do this, it usually twists the ram and the guide rods get bent in the process.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

Panman,double acting clyinders will bleed themselves single acting cylinders {like you have} sometimes you have to loosen a hose or even invert the cylinder as air bubbles tend to collect in high spots.If something feels spongy you got air.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jdtuttle

Panman, Do what Bibbyman suggest & call woodmizer. They have a record of everything purchased from them on that mill. I bought a 92 LT40HD a couple years ago & took it to woodmizer for service. Best money I ever spent. I worked with them doing all the alignments and asked lots of questions. It really helped with the learning curve,
jim
Have a great day

Slabs

I've seen a roller toe board go up "a little too far" and have to be "helped" to start back down.   I think we used a short 2X4 to help it get started forward and down.  Doesn't seem to be a major problem so much as an annoyance.  There may be an adjustment.  The mill I saw this on was not adjusted and the problem hasn't reoccurred  in quite a while.

Good luck
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

panman

Thanks for the info guys, she's working good now.
Jim

Thank You Sponsors!