iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building green...

Started by mrcaptainbob, March 04, 2010, 02:31:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrcaptainbob

I've heard of some who have built using fresh cut boards. The thinking went that new wood won't move if it's immediately secured. My thinking is that's not a good idea. Shrinkage is one of the things that I'm concerned about, along with boards wanting to stray. Maybe if the boards were alternated so they 'fight' each other, but it just doesn't strike me as a good idea....any other opinions?

Bibbyman

Yea...  Here is my opinion.  It depends on what you're building. 

We have built our sawshed out of fresh sawn lumber.  Specifically sycamore.  By framing it up quickly while still wet,  we could bend any boards into place before they had a chance to get away.  It's about imposable to nail sycamore once it dries but it nails and works well wet.  Shrinkage?  Sure.  But it didn't matter to us.  It's not like a finished home. 

Here is a porch on the front of a restaurant that we sawed out of oak.  The posts and nailers are ERC.  The headers, rafters and siding are fresh sawn oak.

We sale a lot of oak lumber that is used green for fence and horse stall construction. 

If I were going to build a home that I was going to finish the inside and expect the walls and such to be true and flat,  I'd saw the lumber as wide as possible and then air dry it.  After it was dry,  I'd put it back on the mill and rip it to width.  We've done this a number of times for customers that were building additions onto their homes.  Seemed to work well.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

I cut pine for barns and sheds, 2x to wrap the PT posts on 2 foot centers then 1x for board and batten siding....all green, it makes a nice outbuilding
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ARKANSAWYER

Saw in the morning and build in the afternoon.  Do it all the time.  If air can get to most of the board it will be fine and dry in place.  That is why it is "board & batten" so the gaps are hidden.  Post and beam construction and timberframing is done with pretty green timbers most of the time.
ARKANSAWYER

captain_crunch

I am kinda like Arkansawy I nail em up as fast as I saw them. But by the time you wrangle a 12 ft Green 6X6 up on 7ft tall posts you begin to wonder maybe I should have waited till it dried some ;D
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

tmroper

I agree it depends on what you are building.
For anything on the ranch we are framing we saw in the morning and nail it up in the evening or the following day it sure nails nice and not as much chance of splitting.  We also nail up siding right away.  It sure works good for us. 

mrcaptainbob

Thanks for the reply's. Most helpful.

sigidi

Mr Captain Bob,

Wifey and I made our whole house (around 500sqm/600sqyd) from green rough sawn Aussie pine and hardwood - yeah it shrinks, but when you know it will shrink, you build that into how you make your structure, easy ;)

You can't tell me that 2 or 3 generations ago they only built houses with kiln dried/seasoned timber???
Always willing to help - Allan

thecfarm

The old farm house across the road was built out of green lumber late fall.Had to built something when the house burnt.Winter was coming.You can just about stick your fingers between the boards.This idea would work good for a wood shed.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sigidi

Quote from: thecfarm on March 05, 2010, 07:40:34 AM
The old farm house across the road was built out of green lumber late fall.Had to built something when the house burnt.Winter was coming.You can just about stick your fingers between the boards.This idea would work good for a wood shed.

Interesting, thecfarm, we've built this https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,41658.0.html using green, rough sawn Aussie hardwood and Aussie pine. The posts, bearers, joists where all trees less than 3 months before being nailed or bolted together and the wall framing was all pine trees about 3 weeks before being nailed together. All the pine frame was used rough sawn, no dressing to size and we chucked plasterboard on the first buildings wall - I think you guys call it drywall? This has been up 3 years and we don't have any cracks at corners or over windows etc. I know the whole thing has shrunk around 15mm or about 5/8" but that has been from the green hardwood floor members, and as the Floor was a platform floor, this hasn't affected the drywall

Qweaver

Our poplar posts and beams had about 6 months of drying before we put them up.  The entire floor, walls and roof were then sheathed with 1" rough sawn with about 9 months drying time.  We then waited until the next summer to frame the outside with 2x4s, insulate and nail up the vertical 10" boards that had been stickered for 1 year.  The sheathing shrank a lot but was pretty well dry by the time we put the framing and vert siding.
We then put up drywall during the winter and we have had no cracking at all.  The inside has really dried out this winter and I was a little concerned but it has been fine.  If we had done it all in one short period instead of stretching it out, we might have had problems.  Most of the interior T&G wall boards have pulled apart some but not too bad.
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

dsgsr

I think the temperature swing would have a lot to do with Shrinkage. Getting back to thecfarm's post, here in Maine there can be a lot of shrinkage when our temps going from 90 + in summer to -20 + in winter. Not every winter but you get the gist of it.

David
Northlander band mill
Kubota M59 TLB
Takeuchi TB175 Excavator
'08 Ford 550 dump
'87 International Dump
2015 Miller 325 Trailblazer Welder/Gen

sigidi

David our temp range here (normally in Centigrade, but I converted for y'all) is from 23F to 113F so we don't get as low as you in Maine, but we do get a good deal higher.

Obviously a big difference in humidity will make a large difference in shrinkage rates, high humidity will keep the timber 'swollen', we tend to keep higher humidity ranges as compared to lower.

Ironwood

if you are sheeting a framed house/ garage, angle the boards at a 45 to have them shrink and keep the structure sound (think angled wind bracing) but do it on all corners w/ all boards. Back in the 1920-30's the FDA had "Farm building" pamphlets showing this.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

thecfarm

A demo sugar shack was built at Fryeburg Fair. It looks just about the same way there too.But one thing I can say,it all looks like it was spaced that way on purpose.Told some guy at work each board will shrink about 1/8-1/4 of an inch when they dry out if the boards are touching each other.He went up and saw the results too.I just went down to the horse run in to measure it.Might be off a little.Some had  1/4 some 3/8 gap.Only found a couple with 1/2 gap.I built that out of hemlock.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I saw a contractor build a house with my fresh sawed framing lumber.  He was nailing up lumber today that I sawed yesterday.  I guess that he knew and understood what he was doing.....I just kept sawing..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tmroper

MrCaptainbob,
What are you building that you are wanting to know about the green lumber on and for what part of the building or structure will it be used?
Framing Lumber
Siding
roof sheething
etc....
Just curious 8)

ErikC

Almost all residential framing is done with green wood that has been sitting out in the rain. It is so wet it drips when you pick it up!  I have built with green a lot and had no problems. It needs to be dried for good results on interior finish work and cabinets though.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Hilltop366

Wide boards = larger gaps

Narrow boards = smaller gaps and more of them.

sigidi

Erick, I'm with ya on that. Joinery and cabinetry has to be done with seasoned timber, but as for construction I feel it can be done quite easily green and not just outhouse, shed/stable type constuction actual domestic construction as well.

taschmidretired

The post and beam/timber frame builders I have met over the years have said with great frequency, "hardwood green, softwood dry"
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

mrcaptainbob

The question is more for edification, tmroper. The neighbor and I were discussing his latest project of building a saw mill and mentioned he heard of guys building green. We're learning a LOT from this discussion. Sure appreciate all the help and information sharing.

sigidi

Captain Bob,

I built our whole home using green sawn lumber, both softwood and hardwood, all straight off my Lucas and all without re-sawing or sizing 8)

Parts of it coverall in drywall have been up for 3 years and no cracking at corners etc. If you do a few things with it when building and also you know it is green, then things can be worked with - as I said before, can't tell me the houses built 2 or 3 generations ago where done with seasoned timber.

Magicman

I know that in the late 40's and early 50's, my Granddad stood in on end across a crosspiece like a tee pee. I watched him go out and rotate and flip it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!