iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

WHAT SIZE DO YOU SELL??

Started by tree dude, March 04, 2010, 08:48:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree dude

Been a while since i talked to you guys havent really been milling that much,but here is my question,what size of lumber do you sell the most of ???
smiley_beatnik

Magicman

This is really not an answer to your question because I'm not in the lumber selling business.  That being said, I do occasionally  obtain logs, saw, and sell them.  I generally do not have a buyer when I saw, but the logs need sawing.

I saw 1/ 5/8" X a full 12" and sticker stack them.  They can then be brought back to the mill and make three 2X4's, or two 2X6's, or one 2X4 & one 2X8 with no material loss.   The most popular lengths are 12' and 16'.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

The most popular for ERC is 1x6x8 . Less than 10% of what we saw.  We wait until the phone rings because, you would not believe all the different sizes and widths people want.   Probably a 100 different sizes and lengths.  We make a lot of 3 sided cants of 4", 5", 6", 7" and 8" wide.  We can later resaw these to desired thickness.  Cedar won't crack(other than a little surface checking )or warp, so we can get by doing it.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

Trailer decking the most popular is 1 1/2 inches. That being said, we cut whatever the customer wants, from 1 inch up to 3 inches thick. Length can be about anything. Kiln dried lumber, the most popular size is 1 inch, although we keep some thicker stock available. Pallet lumber is just about everything, we specialize in oddball stuff. Some skids are a solid 1 1/2 inch top. We turn all the slash into 1/2 inch thick for another pallet customer. The only thing we use the computer on the woodmizer for is to show where the head position is at. We simply have way too many different sizes thats likely to come out of a log.

Bibbyman

I'm with Cedarman.  No two custom orders the same although if we get a chance to help the customer decide, we'll guide him to some of our standard sizes.

We have a steady market for 1"x6" and 2"x6" by 8'-14' lengths in even increments.  We saw the thickness 1" for 1" and 1-5/8" for 2" and full 6" wide.  We hardly ever get an order for 2x4s.

We have a steady market for 6x8s and 3x4s for local industries.  We sawed flooring lumber this morning and made 6x8s out of the heart in the expectation of getting an order for 6x8s or 3x4s.  If the 3x4 order comes first, we'll put the 6x8s back on the mill and split them both ways.  We saw the 6x8s 1/8" oversize in order to make room for the split kerf.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

woodmills1

1x6x8 and 16  oak horse fence is my bread and butter

4x4x8 pine dunnage is my strawberry jam

2x oak trailer deck is the gravy.....no grits no poutine
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

Is the 2x oak for trailers a full 2" or is it 1.5" like with pine construction 2x's?

For you hardwood guys do you saw hardwood 1" even for rough4/4 or do you saw it 1 & 1/8" thick?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ARKANSAWYER

ERC is 1x6x8'
SYP is 1x8x8' and12'
oaks is 1 5/8x6,8,10x16' for trailer decks and barns if you do not count the 4/4 we saw just to be sawing.
Walnut  8/4
cherry 4/4
sycamore 6/4
  Last year was a very slow year and we only sawed about 500mbdft of lumber and most of it was SYP and we did produce many different sizes from 4' to 32' in length.  Working on an order of 6x16x21' timbers right now.  Glad they only need 28 of them and now they want 7 6x16x30's to go with them.
ARKANSAWYER

Norm

On trailers I saw at 1 1/2"  and for all of my hardwoods it's 1 1/8th" off the mill.

woodmills1

most decking I cut on the 2" marks for 1 7/8 thickness.  the horse fence is 1 1/16
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

WDH

With a good cutting accurate sawmill, 1 & 1/8" thickness for hardwood for 4/4 seems like a big waste.  That standard was likely set because of variability in thickness or poor quality control. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ARKANSAWYER

It was set some because older circle mills cut a bit rougher then the new ones and bandmills.  It also allows you some room to plane out cut and defects from handling.  Since most of the time the target is to get a good clean 3/4 thick board in hardwoods you need some room for the extra shrinkage and to remove cupping.  If you saw at 1 inch with a good bandmill in hardwoods 95% of time you will clean up the lumber with the planer on lumber less then 10 inches wide just fine.  If you saw at 1 inch then after 9 cuts on a side you will gain a board.  Unless the log is over 18 inches or you are sawing through and  through you will not gain any more lumber. If you saw at 1 1/16 you only need to make 18 more cuts on a face to gain a board.  So is the little less planing worth the possible loss of a board or two? 
  There are times when we are sawing barn siding we do saw at 1 inch thick.  But most of the time it does not gain us much more lumber it just makes putting the boards on the barn easier.
  If you are sawing lumber and do not know the enduser at the time then hit for the standard.  That way should you have to dump it on the already depressed wholesale market they will not reject your lumber for being too thin.
ARKANSAWYER

Thank You Sponsors!