iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cottonwood stall boards

Started by ElectricAl, October 11, 2003, 06:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ElectricAl

We have a horse arena being built 1 mile south of us.
64' x 105' , indoor riding, stalls, tac room.

What are the pros and cons of cottonwood full 2x12 stall boards. They will be held off the floor by 6".  Customer request.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Kevin_H.

I have read on here somewhere that the cotton wood is used cause the horse's dont like the taste, but that's about all I know...About cottonwood any way.  ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Jeff

Long as there is no health hazard to the horse, I think its a good choice if its sound wood. Cottonwood in this area is prone to shake, but the wood that does not have it is strong stuff. I got a 8 foot long 6 quarter by 48 incher here if ya need a wide one...
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Percy

Heya ElectricAl
Up here people love Cottonwood for horse stalls. Lots of folks use it for stall floor boards as well. The horse pee makes the cottonwood turn to iron. Seen it myself. When the cottonwood drys, its miserable tuff, the logs are cheap and with a barn that big, you could keep them with a supply of extras as some crazy horse is gonna bust somthin once in a while ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Frank_Pender

Al, I would suggest tht you cut the boards a fulll 6" wide and 2" thick.  the reason for the narrower board is so theat if a hoof flys around in a stall it is less likely to his squarely on a narrow board as opposed to a wider board.  In this way there is less likelyhood of a splinter going into a leg or a hoof getting torn up.
Frank Pender

beenthere

Frank
I am trying to figure that one out.   ???

Would you decipher that for me, please.  Maybe I am not the only one that doesn't get it (and then, maybe I am!)   ::) ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

oakiemac

Sorry Frank, I didn't understand your post either.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

solidwoods

Cottonwood is fine for stall board.
The 2x thickness is very nice.
Non irritating like some woods (cedars),inexpensive compaired to other woods, not real splintery, actually a little soft and stringy (so if the horse cribs he can floss his teeth).
  I wouldn't put it anywhere near the ground.
And last, I like vertical stall boards (a little more to install but worth it(...water runs of better, easier to replace, all same size length, and if a board comes off, it is a verticle hole not a horizontal hole (a little less easy to get hung-up in)
JIM
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

ElectricAl

Thanks for the input.

We have sawn Cottonwood before for stall boards when the customer brings in his own logs.

With this project we need to provide the product.

More comments are fine.
Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

kentuckyboy

Being from a state with a few horses, I think Frank has a good point. It is a whole lot easier for a horse to kick through a wide board than a narrow(6 inch) one. With some horses being very valuable, every small thing counts.

Frank_Pender

Sorry about the delay in coming back.  You are correct Kentuckyboy.  that is the whol idea.  Also, by placying a sloted system for each end of the boardto rest i, (either vertical or horizontal) one can easly replace the broken boards by simply lifting the avoe pieces and replaceing the broken board.  this wa also prevents andy bolts or nails from possibly makeing for flesh wounds on a critter.
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!