iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree Planting Operation (dream)

Started by McGruff, October 11, 2003, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGruff

I have always enjoyed being outside and giving back to nature.  We don't have pets, other than the deer, pheasant, rabbits, and other wildlife we feed.  That doesn't mean we don't bushwhack one once in a while to put on the supper table.  Anyway, I always thought it would be nice to raise a bunch a trees.  I came across a seedling planter a few years ago and finally was able to talk my wife into letting me get a tractor decent enough to pull it.  I brush hogged the weeds, and the disked, disked, and disked.  I think next time I will plow first.  The planter wanted to ride up a few times not giving us the depth we needed :-/.  I disked only becuase, I felt if a few weeds come up next spring they may afford the seedlings some cover and not all of them will become forage.  My number 1 hired hand (wife)  ;)went north with her mom and sister, probably not wanting to stick around for this joyous event.  (Even the promise of a quarter an hour raise did not persuade her to stay home!! :o)  I was able to twist some other relatives arms and got them to help.  My brother-in-law, his son, and I planted 1000 trees in just over three hours today.  Of course this was the first time such a "mass" planting was attempted and wev
learned quite a bit.  Here's a few photo's, hope they turn out.  I hope to plant more in the spring.  Even if they don't grow, it was a beautiful day to be out.  (I do hope a few make it).  Pray for rain tonight.  

McGruff

:) :) :) :) ;D ;D ;D
P.S.  If I woulda had one o dem fancy "Forestry Forum" hats,
my face wouldn't a got so sunburned!!  (Plus all the neighbors would've thought I knew what I was doin'! 8)

Tom

way to go McGruff!

I pull a single seat seedling planter with a 1985 ford 4wd 1910 with a front end loader.  I found that a partial load of dirt in the loader helped with traction and steering.  The coulter on the planter is what helps with the depth.  I was very liberal with letting the full weight fall on it and it would cut through pine stumps, roots and clay.  When the trench was opened up, it was open all the way to the bottom of the tap root.  I laid the seedling right behind the opener and shoved it deep, then lifted it untill the root crown was where I wanted it.  I would turn it loose as it passed under me and the closer packed it tight.

Plowing and bedding is a lot easier.  The planter runs on the bed as if it weren't even there.  Bedding is supposed to give the tap root a head start too.  I didn't bed on my place and compared to my neighbor, who did, I lost maybe 2 years of growth because of it.  Once my trees took hold they shot up though and my plantation is a lot easier to traverse than his.

Pines don't like competition from grass and weeds when they are getting started.  Many of there feeding roots are at the top and fight for the same nutrients as the grass.

What kind of trees did  you plant

McGruff

Tom,My planter has the coulter wheel too.  I think you are right, though.  I will be plowing this fall for next springs planting.  I figure if it does rain tonight I am going to walk the rows tomorrow and make sure the seedlings are all upright and packed okay.  I planted norway spruce for starters.  I figure they will grow fast, and truely I wanted a wind/vision obstruction along the road.  I hope to add blue spruce next spring and someday, maybe sell a few for landscaping.  If they don't sell, we will enjoy them right where they are.  Thank you for the encouragment

Larry

Been planting trees for about 7 years now and have tried about everyway of doing it.  Best way is to spray strips in the fall to kill the grass with Roundup.  Plant in the spring with the tree planter and spray the rip with a pre-emergent.  Think I used Princep 4-L.  The trees in the sprayed ground are way ahead of the trees I planted in plowed and disked ground.  In the plowed ground I have to spray once a year for weed and grass control but really I should spray twice a year.  In the strips I sprayed with Roundup I have yet to do any weed control after 3 years.  The dead vegetation holds the moisture and really helps the trees.  A third advantage of spraying is that you can pull the planter a lot easier with a smaller rip than you can on plowed ground.

This is my home made planter and it will rip to about 12" deep.  Hasen't been used for a few years so it is a little rusty.

Oak trees

Pine windbreak.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

McGruff

Nice looking trees, Larry!!
Does someone ride the planter when you plant or do you plant after opening the ground.  How do you pack the tree in? I would love to have a sprayer.  I just have to sell that idea to my wife. :-[  Other than the tractor and the tree planter, I really am farming with a "buncha junk".  I can't complain though.  It's working junk!! ;D

Larry

My planter is a copy of a commercial planter the state has.  Originally it had a wagon with packing wheels and a seat like yours.  Our ground is very steep so we plant on the contour.  With the constant turning the packing wheels were running over the trees.  I was going to re-design the wagon so it could be steered but the main planter (my wife) suggested I just take it off and she would walk behind it.  She sticks the tree in right behind the knife.  When she takes a break I run the tractor on both sides of the trees and close the rip with the front tire.  Found out later the state removed their wagon also.

I'm done planting trees on a large scale so sure would like to find a good home for the planter.  Also have a couple of dibble bars and tree planting bags to get rid of.

One other thought.  I use something called Stock Absorb.   It's a powder you mix with water.  Makes a thick emulsion that you soak the tree roots in.  Keep the roots from drying out.  Got it from Forestry Suppliers.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

McGruff

Well we must be doing something right.  Even without my
"FF Hat".  We went out today to look at the plantation.  One week after planting 2 year old seedlings, this is what we found!! 8)

McGruff

Okay, so maybe I still ain't gettin' the hang of this "picture post" thing, one more try.  Seems Jeff would either give me a class or make this a whole lot easier.   :D

Thank You Sponsors!