iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

AC hydraulic unit for LT40 hydrualics

Started by Kelvin, March 02, 2010, 06:48:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Howdy all,
I know some of you have added a hydraulic pack to speed up your hydraulics and i saw a local ad for 1 1/2hp hydraulic pack w/ tank, looks complete.  My micro switches gave up the ghost years ago so i have a switch i flip whenever i want to run my hydraulics, so switching over to AC wouldn't be that different.  Was wondering if this sounds big enough?  1 1/2HP?  It would be nice to have the speed and not worry about the dumb power strip on the mill and having to move the mill head back to the strip,  and having to clean the strip, and monkey with the grounds... etc.  The guy wants $75 for the unit, and says its in good shape.  What do you think?  To small?
Thanks
kelvin

pineywoods

Mine is ac powered, depends how big a pump.1hp and 3gpm pump is marginal. I built a 2hp unit for a friend, that's better, but still not enough. I think Bibby's is even more hp. I think a 3hp motor and a log splitter pump (2 stage) would work nicely.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Bibbyman

Our unit is 7.5 hp with 6gpm pump at 2000 psi.  LOTS of speed.  Often far more than you need.  I end up feathering the valves a lot of times and still sometimes things get slamed around.

We put an hydraulic turner on our old manual LT40 as well as one tie board - the old blade style.  I think the pump we used had a 2hp 220v single phase motor and a pump of about 1.5 gpm.  It worked.   I don't know if I talked about the conversion here on the forum or not.  It would be "way back" in the early years.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!