iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing for lumber?

Started by northernss454, March 02, 2010, 10:16:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernss454

Hi I had a guy stop by the other day and he wants a bunch of dead standing oak sawed. He wants to make a deal hes a good old guy so I want to be fair. He wants to pay me in lumber, that works for me but what do u think is a fair deal 50% 50%. He has lots so it will accumulate to a good chunk of lumber. question#2 . If its burl oak should i still do it as I heard rumors of this stuff twisting,but its been standing dead for sometime so that might help not sure.
Thanks all

beenthere

northern
I would guess it depends on how much bur oak lumber you want in your stash. Without a need/desire/use for such lumber, why even consider it as pay?  ::) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

not sure what burl oak is. but if its what i call post oak you bet for sure its going to twist 99 percent of the time.

no matter what you do, be sure and store the lumber in a dry shed away from sunlight until you use it.

i saw alot of logs on the halfs with customers. i have heard of other getting more of the share too though.

if you are talking about burr oak, then the 50/50 deal would be sweet. i would saw all day for that deal.

brdmkr

I have sawed on shares.  Still do, but it would be for someone like you describe (somebody I like).  As a business, I would not do it.  If you do, I would figure out what their logs would cost IF you wanted to buy them.  Then figure out what your sawing would cost him and take the logs as payment.  More than likely, it won't be 50:50.  However, when I cut for lumber, I have always just split it (or even given them all of it)... BUT it was not for business.  Just for friends.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

pineywoods

The problem with sawing on shares for lumber is you may wind up with boards you can't use or can't sell (not what customers want.)  I saw on halves, but I take my half in logs, not boards. That way I can saw what I need or have a sale for. Make 2 piles of logs, customer picks. or customer makes 2 piles and I pick.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sgschwend

I do enjoy meeting and working for folks, sounds like you would have a good customer there. 

Other factors are:
Where is the sawing going to take place?
Who is going to move the material or logs?

It is a lot easier to go with a simple 50/50 share.  In my opinion that ratio will work as long as the material reaches the mill, if I need to move to saw the material then I will have to pay for the moves out of my share.   Even if I move the lumber or logs myself it is still time spent with no paycheck. 

Cutting a common species for shares may not become a high demand item to sell, unless the material is somehow special.  If I had a deal to cut oak for shares here, then it would workout nicely since we rarely get to cut it.  So the market value is a consideration too. 
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Magicman

Personally, I saw for money.  Sharing lumber or logs, I have to move, store, use, or sell it.  That's too many if's.

This is a bit off subject but it's still about making money sawing:
I'm going tomorrow to pick up a load of free SYP logs.  The largest tree was 20+" and made three 16' logs+.  The other was a 12" tree.  Total of seven logs.

I don't need them and have no use for them.  I'll just haul them to my next customer, and he will pay me for sawing plus hauling.  The first guy gets rid of something that he didn't need/want.  I provide a service to my saw customer.  My saw customer gets logs/lumber that he needs.  I make three people happy, me included.... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ErikC

With the sawing on shares, I have had good experiences by doing it for people I like anyway, with wood I already have a use for or place to sell it. I also do only a day or two's worth, and split up the logs into two shares before I saw. The other party is there to help, or arranges for someone. It works out fine and can be a nice day, but you don't want too many like it or you won't be able to pay the bills!!
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

taschmidretired

Who's paying for the blades?
Standing dry oak is either seasoned or rotten, or in a stage between the two. Seasoned Oak is going to be much harder on the blade/mill/and time and punky wood need not be sawed.
It would be  fair enough if you want or have a market for the product on a 50/50 if it was fresh cut oak . T A
"Until I had turned Thirty Five, the longest I had ever stayed in one place was my Mother's womb."

"Beware of the man that shoots his arrow first, and then paints a bulls eye around it after."

backwoods sawyer

If you have to fall the trees and get them ready for sawing then the ratio may go as low as 0%-100%. I do not trade sawing for lumber very often, maybe a chinquapin, cedar, or Myrtlewood that will move rather quickly as I eat enough wood fiber and the kids seem to like real food.   :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

sigidi

I don't saw for timber anymore - kids won't eat sawdsut :(
Always willing to help - Allan

northernss454

Hi thanks for all the responses, a few answers, the wood will be delivered to me. I don't really saw for the money just got into it. I want to start to build a little stock pile of lumber for myself. Thanks guys I will tell him 50%50%. Thanks for the input

panman

I am also just starting out.
I would gladly saw for half of the lumber.
I need the experience, and the lumber stash.
Just got back from my woodlot, looks like a good mix of hardwoods.
Pignut Hickory, Red Oak, White Oak, Butternut, Basswood, Hackberry, Elm, White Ash, Black Cherry, and one lonely Maple.
Wish the snow would melt, still knee deep.
Jim

beenthere

northern

Just decide ahead how you will split the 50/50. Sorting the logs into two piles would be the best route.
Otherwise, as the boards come off, there will be two piles being stacked which takes more room, and leaves more wood exposed (not so good when sawing oak).
Easier if sawing all 4/4 thickness, but harder to decide if other thicknesses are involved. Not to mention that some boards will be higher grade than others, and who's pile gets the grade?

So best if the logs are divided first, then piles picked.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I went this morning and picked up that load of free SYP logs.  I'll just give them to one of my next customers.  They will pay me for sawing and hauling.  The logs will be free to him.  You take care of your customers.....and they will take care of you $$$

I would never saw for half of someone's logs.  I get too many of them for free.

Crosshauling (parbuckling) them on the trailer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

After I unstuck the backhoe, I gathered up some more free logs.  Radar67 (Terry)  messaged me last night.  Looks like most of this will go to him for his new home.  Tell me that FF is not a great place.

ljmathias

So Radar is finally getting ready to build?  Haven't heard any plans or designs- timber frame or stick built?  Radar's been awfully quiet on the forum lately; must be working hard.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Magicman

I don't know how ready he is to build, but he is collecting lumber.

I'm going to plan on that "Get Together" when he  comes over to pick it up.   (He's in school now.)

sdunston

Magicman, I like the trailer set up and the way you load them good idea 8)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Magicman

I happened to have help that day, but most of the time I'm alone.  That 8K lb. Milemarker does a good job loading, but it really does not take that much power.  This link shows a couple of more shots.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,38764.0.html

Meadows Miller

Quote from: sigidi on March 03, 2010, 07:34:05 AM
I don't saw for timber anymore - kids won't eat sawdsut :(

:D :D :D :D :D ;) ;D Allan I grew up on the stuff  ;) plenty of fiber and I turned out ok i think  ??? ;) :D :D :D ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

panman

If you guys won't saw for lumber, will you pay for logs?
Jim

Magicman

Some folks will.  I won't.  It all goes back to the market that you cater to.

Me, I'm not in the lumber selling business.  I have no place to stack/store/dry lumber and am not willing to maintain the inventory necessary to reliably supply lumber buying customers' needs.

I drive up to a customer's logs, saw them to his specifications, get paid, and leave.  That's my market.

Don K

I have two people that I am going to saw on halves with. One I need the wood for my woodshop I am building and two I have people wanting to buy my wide boards they can see stacked from the road. I will saw my extra into 1X12's and 10's and sell them for twice what I have in them which is a little time and some diesel fuel. 

I figure it doesn't hurt as I am not strapped for cash, It puts my finished product out there for people to see, and I can always use a few boards. I always have the option to say no if I want too. Some folks might have a few logs but might not be in the best financial shape( after all they are trying to get rough sawn lumber instead of going to the hardware) and if I give them quality goods one day they might return with a paying job. It's an individual thing for sure. Do what feels right to you. ;)

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sigidi

Quote from: panman on March 07, 2010, 08:33:08 PM
If you guys won't saw for lumber, will you pay for logs?
Jim

Jim I try not to pay for logs, but am slowly coming around to the idea if I want logs I'm gonna have to pay for 'em :(

I'm a bit like MM, by going and doing mobile jobs, cutting whatever is there, getting paid an coming home. But I also want to run the mill more often so can only do that with logs ???
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!