iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best place to get logging lift tongs?

Started by 9shooter, March 01, 2010, 12:33:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I'm getting the stuff together to build a logging arch and have been looking around for some strong logging lift tongs. I noticed that many of them are only rated at @2500# and was wondering if there are higher rated tongs and were to get them.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

treefarmer87

try northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and equipment or baileys logging supply, the only thing about northern is the dont give a weight rating
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Gary_C

Best place is Bailey's and they are a sponsor. Just click on the logo on the left side of the page. And if you don't see what you want in the catalog, they are excellent to talk to for whatever you need.

As far as rating on those tongs, I don't know if I'd want a higher rating on them as they can have trouble gripping rather than breaking. Bottom line is don't trust them for more than that. And to be safe, throw a chain around them after lifting off the ground if it would be a problem if the log falls.

PS: And Northern sucks.  :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

fishpharmer

You might try our sponsor Logrite.  I didn't see them on the website but know they had some at Sawlex 2009.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

captain_crunch

Concure with above I would be much more nervious about them holding than breaking. When we got anything iffy with weight or dia we used 3/4" cat choker. We never skidded with tongs either. They were for loading or lifting end of log to get choker around it. I would also have more faith in something from Bailey's They been around awhile
Me two bits worth
Brian
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

Quote from: treefarmer87 on March 01, 2010, 12:38:32 PM
try northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company and equipment or baileys logging supply, the only thing about northern is the dont give a weight rating

Northern NOT a good recommendation. Chinese knock-off, and not a good one at that.

Sounds like the OP is interested in the more expensive lifting tongs, than the skidding tongs. However I think the skidding tongs would do the job. Lifting classification appears to be for overhead use and more stringent quality control and testing go certify the tongs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I made the mistake of buying tongs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  Forget that source, and as others have suggested, look down the list of vendors/sponsors on the left.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Reddog

9shooter,
If I remember right you are in southern MI.
Superior saw in Holt/Mason carries both Logrite and Baileys products. He had some tongs in the shop a few weeks ago.

Jeff

I've made a small administrative addition to the Forum software that reflects my feelings at the mention of a certain company that likes to sell cheap knock offs of sponsor products.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ironwood

northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE

Just testing, that's funny :D :D everytime I hit "modify" it puts more on the end ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on March 01, 2010, 02:37:14 PM
I made the mistake of buying tongs from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company:AKA JUNK AND CRAP STORE.  Forget that source, and as others have suggested, look down the list of vendors/sponsors on the left. 

I hate to quote my own post, but after thinking about it, I decided to add why I felt that it was a mistake:

The picture in the catalog showed hexagon, and what I got was round.  One tip had a 1/4" flat "point".  The arch was wrong and even after sharpening that tip, they still wouldn't grab.  So I sharpened, re-arched, added a swivel, and now have "pretty good" lightweight tongs, but I wouldn't lift with them.

Thankfully, I have two hexagon high quality tongs for real work.

Shetland Sheepdog

If you're in the Northeast USA another consideration might be <www.labonville.com>
phone is 1-800-764-9969
They are located in Gorham, NH
Proud operators of Sunset Tree Farm. 130 acres of "hilly" forest, and part of the American Tree Farm System.

thecfarm

Labonville also has 3 stores in Maine too.I think someone said the swivel kind are the ones to use.Labonville swivel kind only go to 2500 too. The non-swivel kind is rated at 3000.These are not for overhead lifting.I think the ones for over head work are mighty pricey.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

quietrangr

Eagle USA is a logging supply place in Alabama. They have three different types of tongs. Standard, ranging in price from 52 to 281 dollars for different sizes; swivel, from 62 to 126; extra heavy for tree length skidding, 138 to 288. Their price on 20 inch PowerMatch Plus bars is $38. They ship fast. They have a web site but no online catalog or online ordering. Call at 800-828-8121.

Note: I don't work there or own the place. I have ordered from them, and plan to do most of my buying there. You can get a catalog by calling the phone number above.

Thank You Sponsors!