iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bar problem's on stihl chain saw

Started by ldcub56, February 28, 2010, 11:58:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldcub56

I have a new ms 361 saw with quick stop brake, rollomatic e 20" bar. My sprocket nose keep's freezing up.My dealer has replaced the bar once, and turned up my oiler max, but im still having the same problem. Has any body had same problem or have a fix?

tlandrum

ii went thru 5 of them and none got replaced. told my dealer no more junk and went back to using gb bars with replaceable greaseable tips. tip on stihl cant be greased. they suck when your in harsh muddy dirty conditions.inmho
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Bobus2003

Chain too Tight? I have a 20" Stihl Bar on my MS440 and havent had any probs yet and the bars almost worn out.. When i replace it I will get a Windsor Bar.. Have ran a few of them and really like them .. Its what i run on my processor also

captain_crunch

Are you keeping bar grouve cleaned out good to get oil to tip ?? This too tight of chain or gettind nose pinched are generally what happens. Is your saw useing a tank of oil to a tank of gas ?? with oiller opened up it should. Just one way to check ifn oil is getting to bar.
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Rocky_J

I would suspect the chain is too tight as my first guess. The rule of thumb is 'no sag, no drag'. You should be able to spin the chain by hand without resistance.

Also, many newer Stihl saws are particularly stingy on the oil output. It's a bit pricey but the MS460 oiler is a direct swap with the MS361. Some people just buy the gear and take the oil pump apart, but I don't have the tools to get that tiny press pin out without breaking something. It's safer for me to just swap it out and be done with it. Probably looking about $80 for the MS460 oiler.

quietrangr

I had a tip burn up a couple of months ago, due to a bad oiler; otherwise problems with Stihl tips are rare. On my chain, I leave about 1/16 inch of hang from the bar bottom. I run a 361 with 18 inch ES bar.

Al_Smith

Probabley the chain is too tigh .Usually Stihl bars are pretty good .Of course for what they cost they should be .

I've spun the tips off but that was likely after wearing out 15 chains .

bl73

when are you having the problems? after cutting or before you even sink the chain in, I personally had problems with the same bar so I switched it out with a GB bar. I personally like to be able to grease and make sure there's always enough not to seize it up.

Thank You Sponsors!