iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

CLEAN off the snow from yer vehicals!

Started by Ironwood, February 28, 2010, 07:49:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

WELL, nearly crashed today making a delivery. I have a major PEEVE for folks not cleaning off the snow from their cars, AND was almost killed by it today. We dont get ALOT of snow usually, so folks may not realize the risk. I have travelled alot up north over the years (for fun) and always carry a BROOM to clean off my vehicals.

So trucking thru the mountains east of here at 60 mph on a two lane straight road, guy comes over the hill (having just pulled out of a driveway) getting up to speed he was 45-50 mph, and the whole 13-14" of snow on his Ford Explorer's roof goes airborne into my lane, partially hitting my windshield. I nearly "lost" it. Didn't load my shorts, but WOW could've used a shot after that (I dont drink the hard stuff). Their lucky I didnt chase them down and,...........well. I was too shaken to think about it at the time. 100-120 mph thick heavy snow mass!!!

I understand tractor trailers cant clean their roofs, but @#$% people in vehicals should.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sprucebunny

It's a law in NH...... not always obeyed  >:(

I thought there was a law that truckers had to clean the trailer roofs ???

Glad you are OK !
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

chevytaHOE5674

Hardly anybody does it around here. Just hope your on a straight stretch of road whenever you meet an oncoming car. Heck some people don't even clean their windshields off, just a little 8" hole and then they wait for their defroster and wipers to clear the rest.

Ironwood

It is our law in Pa. as well. I REALLY hate those 8" hole folks. What are they thinking?

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Paul_H

Quote from: Ironwood on February 28, 2010, 08:15:31 PM
I REALLY hate those 8" hole folks. What are they thinking?

I'm late,I'm late!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Toolman

I drive for a company out of Carlisle, Pa and they installed a large sweeper that we drive under that removes the snow and ice off of our trailer roofs. I always feel alot better now when I hit the Pa. Turnpike. I used to feel for the people in their cars who were behind me as snow and ice was flying off.

Ironwood, I drive through your neck of the woods every night to Wheeling,WV. Never seen a winter out there like I've seen this year. The worst I've seen in 13 yrs. driving out there. Somerset and Laurel Ridge on the Pa. Pike have been a nightmare this year.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ironwood

Boy that is good to hear, I guess the liability outweighs the cost. Old Dominion?

That's  where I was today, south of Donegal. I came up the ridge on a smaller state road. WOW was the drifting bad. They had brought in heavy equipment to push it back. Sides of the road where,..... maybe 10' high in places. Some stuff south of the Donegal exit where nearly blown to one lane whee they hadnt gotten to push it back. I have seen whole fronts of houses that I could lead climb w/ my vertical ice climbing gear. Many folks are shovelling roofs off if they havent yet (rain on the way).  I am loaning my ropes, harnesses, and ice screws to a friend in Ohiopyle to attempt to remove a 1000 lb ice block from the edge of their 2nd story parapit roof. If it goes off unaided it will cause major damage. It is very serious up on those ridges/ mountains and I saw a BIG JD skidder (5 or 600 series) pushing out drive this afternoon. All the local township trucks are using tire chains.

Most townies where I live dont have clue about how bad things are. I have spent nearly a month of my time keeping my 3/4 mile drive and storage areas plowed this winter. Luckly, I keep tire chains for everything up here (or I quickly fabricate them from parts on hand), forklifts, trucks, Gator, tractor, even have a set of "cables" for our family minivan. Rough winter!

Ironwood

ohsoloco

A couple weeks ago I saw a vehicle pulled over on I-99, girl was standing at the rear of the vehicle with a brush in her hand...talking to the cop  ;)  Not sure if it was just her plate that was covered up, but I wish they'd pull more people over for it.  The handiest tool I've ever seen for cleaning off a car/truck is a Sno Rake  I can clean a foot of snow off of a car in no time.  It's a must for the F-250.  That little brush on the ice scraper just wasn't cutting it. 

Toolman

Yea Ironwood, Old Dominion. I've had the unfortunate experience of taking Rt 31 around the Allegheny Tunnel a couple weeks back. I was hauling explosives, could'nt use tunnel. Had to get off at Somerset and take 31 to Bedford. What an ass-tightening experience that was . Ever been on that road? Snow drifts across road, some 10 ft high along road. The 3 mile long down hill (9% grade) was thrilling with patches of ice on the sharp curves. the amount of perspiration was incredible! smiley_sweat_drop
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Ironwood

Yup, been up down and around all the mountains in these parts. RT 31, RT 30, RT653, RT 271, RT 130 (beside Turnpike) on and on. Things can get hairy up on these hills (mountains). The ridges pose a frequent "weather maker", and I used to live in the Ligonier Valley and watch weak fronts hang up on the mountains weekly, all summer long.

PS. where things slow last week? The whole yard was filled w/ trailers in Mechanicsburg. 

Toolman

No, were actually pretty busy. Our trailer pool has been increasing. Most of the new trailers purchased come through our terminal for distribution to other terminals. I know we did get about 100 railed in a few weeks ago. Maybe that's what you saw. We're in Carlisle off I 81 (exit 52). We moved out of our Mechanicsburg terminal about 6 yrs ago.

Ironwood

I can see it from I-81. LOTS of trailers.

Why didnt they send you on Rt 30? Might have been easier.

Ironwood

Toolman

Ironwood

That makes more sense. I was trying to figure that one out  :P

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!