iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Safety Rules

Started by woodsteach, February 28, 2010, 05:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

Since I'm a woods teacher and since this is woodworking I thought this would be a good place for this information.
There should a pdf of the safety rules that my students must know before they are allowed to work with the power tools. 

Knock on wood I've had 2 students have accidents in the 15 years of doing this. 

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

D._Frederick

When my son took a wood working class at the age of 12, the instructor set home a list of shop equipment that I had to sign off if I felt that he was not safe to use. I didn't think it was safe for him to start off using a table saw and jointer on short length or narrow pieces.

Some types of equipment are a lot dangerous than others. When I started buying wood working machinary, I thought that a radial arm saw would do more things. There was an add in the paper for a craftman saw for about half price, I went and looked at and asked the guy why he was selling it, since he was in the cabinet making business.   He held up his hands and he didn't have a thumb on his left hand.

woodsteach

Quote from: D._Frederick on February 28, 2010, 07:05:02 PM
   He held up his hands and he didn't have a thumb on his left hand.

I tell the students to arch their fingers, then the thumb tucks in behind the index finger instead of laying your hand flat, then the thumb sticks out and is usually too close to the blade.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Don_Papenburg

More times than not missing digets are more the fault of the operator than that of the machine.
When I was in H.S. the grade school principal cut his thumb in half  on the band saw.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

pigman

Several years back there was a large furniture factory in our town. A worker there cut off a finger with a band saw. When the superviser asked him how he had done it he proceded to show him by cutting off another finger. ::) That is a true story.
So woodsteach, if a student doesn't follow the good rules you have provided and gets hurt, please don't ask them to show you how they they got hurt.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Warbird

Wow.  I helped make a wooden version of Thor's hammer (comic book hero) for a friend.  They needed me to cut the big block of wood that would form the head down to size, and cut the chamfers to make it look right.  I used the band saw for most of the work, angling the table to cut the chamfers.

I'm telling you, when the table is angled like that, it is real easy to get your fingers closer to the blade than they should be.  No pun intended but a guy needs to be on his toes using any power tools.

logwalker

Quote from: D._Frederick on February 28, 2010, 07:05:02 PM
Some types of equipment are a lot dangerous than others. When I started buying wood working machinary, I thought that a radial arm saw would do more things. There was an add in the paper for a craftman saw for about half price, I went and looked at and asked the guy why he was selling it, since he was in the cabinet making business.   He held up his hands and he didn't have a thumb on his left hand.

If selling his RA is his safety plan he needs to go ahead and sell them all. I don't find the RA any more dangerous than many other machines.

Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Lud

I've been using the Craftsman RA for30 plus and , like Joe, I think it's no more dangerous than others.   It really gave me a lesson when I was doing a gang cut of 1" sticks and it grabbed and rolled up a stick on my thumb , ...fast and hard.   I had to go sit down for a while.  But what a lesson.

Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Lud

To finish.  It was getting hurt a bit that made me more careful.  Other close calls along the way have nudged me to be more thoughtful and to anticipate, "What could go wrong with each tool or situation as I'm about to begin'.

Body position with a chain saw?  Position under a lift? Where I am?  What I am I trying to do?  IS IT SAFE TO TRY THIS?  Am I confident this is safe to begin. 

Know the tool.  Know yourself.  Know the process.  Take the time to be safe every step of the way.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

stumpy

One needs to always remember that even with all the safety guards and measures in place, You still have to be careful.  Safety devices can give you a false sense of protection.  Case in point.  I've been running chainsaws all my life and never had an accident.  About 5 years ago, I started wearing saw chaps.  I now have 3 minor cuts in my chaps.   Now don't get me wrong, I still wear them and follow safe practices.  My point is you still have to be careful.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

tyb525

I should've seen this thread 2 days ago....

(warning graphic picture below)

This happened while I was using a taper jig on the table saw, cutting 1/4" plywood. Making a model of the Washington Monument for school, of all things.

From what I can remember, I was pushing the jig and wood through (a crappy design forcing you to use both hands), and came upon a rough spot on the table, or something that required me to push a bit harder. Well, my hand slipped off the slick aluminum jig, and yep it ended up in the blade. Luckily, I had the blade set just a hair (1/16") above the wood, so all it could do was rip the skin off and some of the meat.

The surgeon said it would be best to let it heal naturally, as a skin graft was the only other option.

Of course it was my right thumb, the one I use the most... I'm getting very good at typing with one hand and using the mouse left-handed.

Taken yesterday, with the blood washed off.

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Norm

Yikes! Glad it wasn't any worse Ty. :)

Dan_Shade

yikes, Ty...  I'm glad it wasn't any worse.

remember, chicks dig scars....

(but i don't know if they dig missing digits)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

wow.  Glad you didn't take the whole thing off. 

tyb525

I'm very lucky to still have that thumb... :o
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

metalspinner

That's a tough way to learn a lesson. :(  But you're lucky it wasn't worse. 

When you're feeling up to it, you need to figure out exactly why the tapering jig was held up and needed more effort to cut.  I have an idea of what it could be.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

tyb525

I haven't been out at the shop since then to look at the accident scene...

But I have found that being unable to do much really opens your mind for more projects once I am able!  :D

OneWithWood

Ouch!

fortunaely you heal fast when you are younger  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

jim king

Just a nice little bowl blank coming loose can also hurt

woodsteach

Lud

Was that with or without faceguard, Jim?  Inquiring minds want to know......

Hey, Doug Thompson said he knew of you.   He makes a lovely bowl gouge,eh?

jim king

That time was without the face mask as it had been broken a few days earlier in a similar accident. 

Dan_Shade

ouch, Jim, hope it heals up quickly.

Do you think a chainsaw style hardhat with the screen shield have helped there, or will a heavy chunk just leave the screen imprint in your face?

I need to get some sort of head protection for turning, i'm not sure what would be best.

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Warbird

Youch!  That lessens my ambitions of ever owning a lathe and turning bowls!

jim king

I agree that the chainsaw cap/mask with the baseball catcher type face gaurd is probably the best.  I the high humidity we have here a simple plastic face gaurd is very dangerous due to fogging up and you work almost blind..

In several years this is only my second hit in the face so it is still probably safer than knitting.

Dan_Shade

everything in life that is fun has some element of danger to it!

I hadn't thought of a catchers mask.  I may get one of the hepa filter dust mask/helmet/shield things.  They're expensive...

Thank You Sponsors!