iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Prices-- what is it about hardwood pulpwood?

Started by eamassey, February 28, 2010, 05:25:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D :D

It's bed time, I'm tired..........man oh man.   :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

the only reason i haul pulpwood is for gas money. i hate fooling with pulpwood anyway the only thing left from my logs is a small part of the top.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Jamie_C

Quote from: treefarmer87 on March 11, 2010, 10:05:37 PM
the only reason i haul pulpwood is for gas money. i hate fooling with pulpwood anyway the only thing left from my logs is a small part of the top.

You must cut some awfully nice wood to be able to do that. The hardwood blocks we cut we are lucky to get about 40% logs, we probably average closer to 20%.

SwampDonkey

Jamie, hardwood timber is much nicer down south. We are on the fringe and as you say 60% + maybe closer to 75% pulpwood. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

treefarmer87

Yea i only cut large poplar i cut them 9' or 10'6 and get moe logs out of the tree
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

MDLogging

Quote from: treefarmer87 on March 10, 2010, 08:49:38 PM
im not sure how they calcuate it at the mill i haul to, it goes buy weight and hardwood is 90 cents and pine is 95. took a load of pine 2 days ago i had 18,500 LBS on my c-65 and got $172.18 pine pays more here than hardwood it is the main thing around here
Must be paying around $18.60 a ton if they pay by weight.  I'm not sure what you mean by 90 and 95 cents

SwampDonkey

Must be per 100 weight is the only way it works out. Selling corn? :D

treefarmer87

thats what i think i dont make much off of it but when you walk in the door at their place it has a sign that says 90 cents hardwood and 95 cents pine
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

lumberjack48

Say guys you really got me thinking, i logged many cords over the year's. I was a small oprator, up to 1000 cords some months. What your saying about the weight has really got me thinking, i know when i hauled in this one mill it allways seemed take more wood to make 10 cords. I have to go back 40 yrs., i'm going to do some checking.  ::)
To the pine hauler, they must be paying around $50.00 a cord.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Samuel

Quote from: lumberjack48 on March 08, 2010, 02:39:01 PM
Hardwood runs 4 ton to a cord, thats $180.00 a cord thats dam good money

If you can get $180 per cord of HW, you had better cut and deliver as fast as you can.   :D

I think your calculation is off....by about $170
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

SwampDonkey

Samuel

My calculation error...that's the problem with so many terms of measurement for wood volume  ??? and obviously the entire world is not metric....
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
Software Solutions-

DirtForester

Around here, the rule of thuumb conversions are as follows:

Mixed hardwood - 2.6 tons per cord.

Pine - 2.2 tons per cord.

Hemlock 2.55 tons per cord.

None of that much matters anymore, though, because everyone has just gone to paying for everything by the ton.
If it's a good tree, grow it!
www.smithandwessonforums.com

SwampDonkey

Yeah, but the loggers still think cords for paying cutters. Everything is metric here at mills, but it's useless to those that can't follow it. Might as well be trading in aliens. ;)

DirtForester

Samuel

There is even another level of confusion with our operations as the bunchers and skidders get paid by the m3, the chippers and trucks get paid by the BDT (bone dry tonne).  Most of the loggers here talk m3 not cords anymore.  Thats more of an eastern thing now.
Software Solutions-

DirtForester

Quote from: Samuel on March 24, 2010, 11:41:05 AM
There is even another level of confusion with our operations as the bunchers and skidders get paid by the m3, the chippers and trucks get paid by the BDT (bone dry tonne).  Most of the loggers here talk m3 not cords anymore.  Thats more of an eastern thing now.

:o 

SwampDonkey

Samuel, that is only true because your on crown land operations. So it's thrust upon them. Here there is a lot more private ownership as far as the percentage of the land base. Most loggers are over 50 and most landownership in their 60's +, so imperial units are imprinted like in stone. Mills still pay in metric, but it still gets converted for any meaning to them. On crown lands here it is also metric as it is in the west. Your just dealing with a different set of circumstances out there. ;D

Samuel

Perhaps the farmers/private land holders are more with the times as the speak metric as well out here.  I guess we pay less attention to religion and politics and get on with life.   :D
Software Solutions-

SwampDonkey

I don't think metric ever stopped anyone from getting the job done.  ;D 8) I'll bet wheat is still sold in bushels, potatoes by the barrel or hundred weight. :D

Thank You Sponsors!