iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The LT28 compared to the LT15

Started by Qweaver, February 28, 2010, 12:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

Is anyone is using the new LT28 with the 25 hp engine.  I have an LT15 w/15 hp and was wondering if the LT28 would be a worthwhile upgrade.  I'd like to have the toeboard and log turner options.  Manually turning large logs is a major pain in the neck for this aging body.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

windy hill farm

Hi Qweaver, cant say Ive sawn with the LT28 yet but I was looking at the LT15 for a while until they lowered the price on the LT28. I liked the idea of sawing on the trailer rather than on the ground.Iam not getting any younger and since theres no futher in getting older Iam trying to make things easyier.Kevin
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

Qweaver

Hi Kevin, congrats on the new mill.
We bought the LT15 mainly to build our cabin and I now find that we have a large supply of logs to saw this spring and  a lot of these logs are in the 28" dia and 16' length range.  That size is a real chore to saw on the LT15.  I'm also consider buying a used swinger but the LT28 with 25hp and the turner may be a better/cheaper option.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

windy hill farm

Qweaver the LT28G25 comes with the power feed and WM treated me real good on  the LDP and a box of blades plus the DVD seris. Kevin
New Holland TN-60DA, Farmi Winch 501,Rhino 9.5ft 3pt backhoe,Sthil 440,361,270, 170 and O26 and several trailers.

Chuck White

I'd have to go with the LT28 vs the LT15 even though the 28 is more $$$$.

More power, more options, and easier on the back!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

For me, the more bells and whistles the better.  As you said....

Quote from: Chuck White on February 28, 2010, 05:24:27 PMMore power, more options, and easier on the back!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POC

For the price difference I'm "chomping at the bit" to get our car sold, so we can get a different vehicle, THEN the wife will let me get the LT28.

Patrick
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

WDH

Quinton,

I was thinking exactly the same thing that you are.  Great minds (and fellow LT15 owners) think alike  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Qweaver

Hey WDH,
the  cabin is done and I've got my saw shed pretty well full of wood, but I've got stacks of poplar logs to saw.  I can probably get a pretty good price for the LT15 (it has a lot of extras) so I'm going to call WM today and see what I can do.  The LT28 addresses most of the short comings that I have with the LT15 for sawing large numbers of logs.  I love the LT15 but when I think about dealing with all of these 28"+ dia logs on the LT15, it makes me weak in the knees.  :D

Qweaver

News Flash.
I just got off of the phone with WM and I've order the LT28 with 25hp engine, power feed and the log deck package.  Guess I'll be cleaning up the LT15 to take the "for sale pictures". 
Quinton

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new mill!

I'm sure the other one won't take long before it has a new owner!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lls256

I'm  also considering the  LT15 or the LT28 mill. I would equip either mill with a 25 HP motor.   Right now I'm sitting on the fence as to which saw to purchase. Both units have certain attributes which make them desirable to own.  The only 2 real advantages that I can see of the LT28 over the LT15 is that the LT28 comes standard with a trailer and a power feed. 

I'd appreciate anyone's input why the LT28 is a better unit than the LT15.

Qweaver

Hi 256,
I've sawed with a 15hp LT15 for 4 years and what moved me to start considering the LT28 was it's ability to handle larger logs.  I bought the LT15 to saw logs to build my cabin and outbuildings and it did a great job of that.  But over time I learned to avoid logs over 24" dia.  It will saw them slowly but OK.  It's the turning and leveling them that's hard.  I now have a big whack of 24" to 30" dia logs to saw or lose to rot.
The LT28 with 25hp and the log deck package should make this easier.  I also have free access to a lot of trees that have been cleared for well drilling and the portability of the LT28 will make that easier than trying to move the logs to my stationary LT15.
I'm not sorry that I bought the LT15.  It did the job that I needed done and I've sawed a lot of lumber with it...but at the present price the LT28 makes sense to me.  And someone in the same situation as I was will get a good price on an LT15 with lots of improvements when I sell mine.
You just have to decide what you really need the saw to do and how much you are willing to spend.
Quinton

Jeff

Are you sure the lt28 comes standard with power feed?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2010, 01:54:36 PM

That's what the banner on the top of the WM home page says.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/index.aspx

Then again in ORANGE on the "more details page".

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/promo/lt28.aspx

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

fishpharmer

lls256, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  You have found a great place to learn about sawmill's.
I can't give you an experienced answer.  I can,  however, offer my opinion.  I would venture to say neither saw is better than the other,they will both saw equally well.  I would be inclined to think a mill that is attached to one long continuous track would be less likely to have any minor deviations, maybe not.   Seems to me that choosing a sawmill depends more on what you need or want (not necessarily in that order).  Oh yes, budget too.  I would lean toward lt28 if I even considered portable sawing.   And don't forget there are other mill manufacturers out there (see sponsors). Don't hesitate to start up a post and ask away.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Qweaver

Quote from: Jeff on March 01, 2010, 01:54:36 PM

I know that the LT28 with the 25hp engine comes with the power feed because I just ordered it.  I would have to ask about the smaller engine choice but I'm pretty sure that it does.

Another factor in my decision to go to the LT28 is my crews age.  I'm 65, my cousin is 68 and my uncle is 73 and we fit into that bracket of "rode hard and put up wet"  We need all the mechanical help we can get. :D   But we love to saw. 8)

Jeff

You are correct.   I just went and looked. in the first couple sentences is says that it is now available as a standard feature.  I know last time I looked, I don't believe it was.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Way to go!  Now that is stepping out and setting an example.  To me, the big difference in the LT15 with 25 hp and the LT28 with 25 hp would be the working height.  However, even the LT28 is a manual mill, so handling logs and boards is still a challenge.  One good aspect about the LT15 in my experience is that it is easy to roll even big logs on the mill with minimal support equipment with except maybe a tractor.  But the low working height on thick cants or 8/4 type lumber will make you sleep very well at night  :).

I will say that the LT15 is a wonderful mill for someone that does not saw as a business but instead for themselves on the farm, etc.  With extra bed sections, it can do what most other mills cannot do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bibbyman

I like the LT28.  It takes the single mast design of the LT70 design and the blade head of the LT15 and the bed of the LT40 manual.  The true cantilever head allows that odd shape log to be sawn without worry of the outer post.  Overall it's a more substantial mill than the LT15.  And it would be easier to tow and set up than the LT15 (I think). 

But there are some real advantages to the LT15.  Cost for one.  And being able to add sections as you need them is another.  Too,  if you only saw seasonal,  you can break down the LT15 into a small "footprint" for indoor storage.  If I were an urban sawyer I'd have an LT15 electric in my basement our under the back deck.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Brucer

Quote from: Qweaver on March 01, 2010, 11:41:22 AM
Guess I'll be cleaning up the LT15 to take the "for sale pictures". 
Quinton

Are you going to get WM to help you sell it? When I ordered my hydraulic LT40, WM Canada West passed on my contact info to a bunch of people that were looking for a manual LT40 but couldn't afford a new one. I sold the mill in less than a week.

I was happy 'cause I couldn't afford the new mill until I got paid for the old one. The couple that bought me old one were happy 'cause they got a one-year old, well maintained mill for a very good price. WM was happy because they had two satisfied potential future customers.

I go to the WM demo every time they come through here and I've had a good look at the LT15. It's a great little saw and it keeps getting better. But at my age I'd just as soon not be bending down to pull slabs and flitches and timbers. Winching the logs onto the bed of an LT28 or LT40 (same system) is a bit time consuming but isn't that difficult unless you try something like this ...

That's a 4000 pound log and the winch bracket isn't quite as square as it used to be, but I got 'er done  :).
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!