iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Correct Way To Measure A Chainsaw Guide Bar

Started by staggerweed, February 27, 2010, 12:47:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

staggerweed

I acquired some items from a deceased relative and need some info.  I have an Oregon Power Match Plus bar that is 3/8" x .050 x 72DL and the Oregon chain for a Stihl chain saw.  It has a replaceable sprocket nose and measures just over 32" from tip to end, so is this the actual "size" of the bar, or do I deduct some length for the amount that is in the chain saw?  Also, it was only used once to cut down a tree for firewood just to try out the saw it came on.  Does anyone know about what it's worth?  It looks new.  Thanks!

Rocky_J

I think your 32" measurement is off. 72 drive links equals a 20" bar. Bailey's sells that bar and two chains for $70.
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=OPC+20+SS50&catID=700

staggerweed

You are right, I'm sure.  The chain has 72 imprinted on it, so I was assuming it was a 72DL.  So, how do I measure the bar - if it is 32" in total length, is it actually a 28" bar?, and how do I determine the DL?  Thanks! 

Rocky_J

Count the drive links (that's the humpy links on the bottom of the chain).  ;)

And it's probably a 28", as standard bar designations are approximately the usable cutting length of the bar.

Kenwood

There should be a number on the bar that shows the number of drivers it takes.From there you can figure your lenght.72 driver=20",84driver=24"etc.

Al_Smith

The "72" on the drivers of the chain indicates the style of the chain . 72 would be Oregon round ground chisel,the most popular chain that Oregon sells . If you get the number off the bar you should be able to cross reference the driver count .

You could either go to Oregons web site or Baileys most likely to get the info .

staggerweed

Okay, it has 98 links/humps on the inside/bottom of the chain - thanks Rocky J.  And, the only numbers on the bar are 3/8" in RED, and the imprinted number 300XXXD025.  I looked on Bailey's, and with the 98DL it is a 30" bar - not a 32" - but now I am not sure I have the .050 correct.  How do I know if it is a .050 or a .063?  It is HEAVY...weighs 4.1 lbs. without the chain.

Thanks guys...I greatly appreciat the help. 

Rocky_J

The .050 gauge is the width of the drivers on the chain (the humpy links on the bottom, you have 98 of them). You can measure the width if you have a way to do that and eyes good enough to see that small of a measurement, or you can check the bar gauge with a chain of known gauge. A .050 gauge chain will slop around a lot in a .063 gauge bar and a .063 gauge chain won't fit in a .050 gauge bar.

Al_Smith

If it's Oregon chain a number 72 would indicate 50 thou ,73 is .058 and 75 is .063 .

Rocky_J

Thanks Al, I'm not familiar with Oregon numbers.  8)

staggerweed

Quote from: Al_Smith on February 27, 2010, 02:41:02 PM
If it's Oregon chain a number 72 would indicate 50 thou ,73 is .058 and 75 is .063 .

I just found the Oregon Chain Selector guide (didn't look here often enough) and you are exactly right Al.  Now I know (thanks to you guys!) that I have a 3/8" x .050 x 98DL bar. 

Al_Smith

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 27, 2010, 02:43:35 PM
Thanks Al, I'm not familiar with Oregon numbers.  8)
:D We're even on that because I don't know squat about Stihl numbers . The saws yes,the chains no .

michigander II

I'd be willing to take that bar and chain out of your hands. I sent you a PM.

LorenB

Staggerweed,

Oregon bars have a part number stamped into them.  Yours should look something like this: 200RNDD025

It breaks down like this:
Length:
20 = 20" bar

Gauge:
0 = 0.050"

Bar Type:
RN = Power Match Plus bar with replaceable sprocket nose

Nose Type:
D = 0.375" pitch nose sprocket for 72, 73, or 75 chain types

Mount:
D025 = Stihl

The codes are found in the Oregon catalog. 

Another way to obtain the bar length is to mount it on the saw and measure the distance from the dog teeth to the bar tip.  Round this off to the nearest even inch.  I don't know if this method is foolproof, but it's worked for me. 

– Loren
Loren
Baker 3667D portable sawmill, Cook's edger, Logrite arches & peaveys.  Husky 272XP chainsaw & two Echos.

bandmiller2

Stagerweed,your origional question about bar legnth.With your bar and chain mounted on the saw measure from the tip to the smooth or spiked dogs at the saw thats the advertised bar legnth.To order chain its best to use drive link count. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!