iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cheese! Please!

Started by habaneroeater, February 27, 2010, 12:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Patty

I used to stop at the cheese factory on my way back to Iowa from the Soldiers Grove, WI area. I could spot the giant mouse out front of the store from a mile away! The place was always packed with customers, and when looking at the parking lot, most of the cars were from out of state. Customers would fight over the last of the cheese curds when supplies ran low. It was (is?) a family run store with grandpa as the head-cheese guy down to the grandchildren slicing for customers. IT was a great store.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Gary_C

Quote from: Patty on April 13, 2010, 11:06:03 AM
I used to stop at the cheese factory on my way back to Iowa from the Soldiers Grove, WI area. I could spot the giant mouse out front of the store from a mile away!

Must have been the one in Fenimore. At any rate there were many in that part of Wisconsin that made great cheese. Unfortunately Kraft and the large coops ran most of them out of business.

I know that Soldiers Grove area well. FIL had a farm near Rolling Ground and he knew every cheese maker from there to Richland Center  and Boscobel. But he had a taste for that Bierkase Cheese and I would have no part of that stuff. He bought some one time and said it was spoiled though I'm not sure how he could tell.  :)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Patty

Yes, Gary, that area of Wisconsin is so pretty. We used to get apples from Gays Mills in the fall, and cheese from the cheese house just a mile or so from Gramma's in Soldiers Grove. Before they moved the town further up the hill (due to constant flooding) I would always think it interesting that there were several bars in town, but only 1 grocery store!

As an adult, going back there just is not the same. The old town is gone now, replaced by newer modern stores. I miss the old pharmacy where we kids would go for cherry sodas. The owner would line all us kids up (there were about 20 of us cousins there every summer) and try to guess who we belonged to. "You must be Melva's girl, or you look like Arlene's boy..."

Gramma's was the one constant in my childhood. It never changed. As a family we moved every year, sometimes every few months, so Gramma's was like going home. Fond memories!

Yes Fenimore is exactly where the big mouse cheese store is now where I stop. Although I have not been back for a few years, I sure hope it is still there when I do!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Trax

This place ain't far from me, it has some good blue cheese

http://www.blacksheepcheese.com/

Ron Wenrich

A couple of years ago, they started a farmer's market about 10 miles down the road.  They have a guy that started a little area that specializes in cheese.  He has a young gal run the place, and everyone calls her the cheese lady.

What makes them special is they carry mainly organic and raw milk cheese.  The cheese that they make is all from grass fed cows.  When I first tried it, it was just like the cheese I remembered from being a kid.  2 year cheddar had a good bite, and it crumbled.  It was sharper than some of that NY stuff that supposedly been aged for 12 years.  Its a little more expensive, but well worth the value.

They also carry a Danish blue cheese.  Its absolutely the best blue I've ever had.  Tremendous flavor.  Rosenborg Costello is the name on the label. 

They also carry raw milk, which I have tried yet.  I don't use too much milk.  But, I've noticed the color of the milk is a pale white, compared to the tidy white that I see in the grocery store.  I might pick some up on the next visit.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Yeah raw milk is usually a little lighter than cream color, not paper white. But, I have also seen a difference in processed milk. Some is better than others. I didn't know you could buy raw milk any longer with all the regulations. Can't here unless it's done under the table. It's controlled nation wide, not just the provincial level.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

CHARLIE

Wisconsin is very close to passing a law where Dairies can sell raw milk.  Personally, I think it is the wrong thing to do.  One of the theories of what causes Crohn's disease is a bacteria from milk. Some doctors in England have even recommended double pasturizing milk to make sure this bacteria is killed. I sure wouldn't want to take the chance with raw milk. There is a reason Louie Pasture came up with pasturization of milk. :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Ron Wenrich

Was Crohn's more of a problem when there wasn't pasteurization?   Do we want a sterile food source?  If you're killing all the bad bacteria, then you'll also be killing the good bacteria.  You get to the point where you have to be afraid to eat anything because there may be a bad germ in there. 

In our state, you can get raw milk, but the farm does have to meet the standards.  I saw a few farms that have signs out for raw milk, so there must be a fairly decent market for it. 

SwampDonkey

Ron you make a point, but I know when that load of milk leaves the farm to the processor it's been tested. If that farm contaminates the rest of the load it's disposed of on the farmer's dime so it's in his interests to make sure that milk is good.  Just because you can buy raw milk, it doesn't improve your chances at life. ;)

But, I see what your getting at. For instance, the processors making flour. They bleach it and remove a lot of nutrients in the process and advertise they have fortified the product with 9 essential nutrients. Leaving out how much was removed in the processing. :D

Bro. Noble

I wouldn't want to be liable for anyone drinking our unpasturized milk.  It's true that our milk is tested each load and it can be condemned at the farmers expense (as well as the rest of the load that might have been contaminated),  but that's just for antibiotics.  If the freezing point is outside a certain range from adding water or anything else,  you get your liscense pulled.  If the somatic cell count is too high,  you get your pay deducted,  if the bacteria is high (and it can be very high) you only get a warning.  They are just now talking about putting a price penalty on milk with too high a bacteria count in our area.  We do get a premium for "organic milk' because we don't use BST.

You can't tell what's in a dairyman's bulktank  and he may not even know for a couple of weeks.  I'd guess that 99.9%  of them are safer than milk the guy with one or two cows milked by hand produces.

On the other hand,  nothing compares with the butter and cottqage cheese that grandma used to make.

I agree,  somethings are worth taking a little risk.

I just thought you might be interested in some facts about bulk milk testing.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Ron Wenrich

But, do you drink raw milk?  If the farmers are afraid to drink it, then I don't think I want anything to do with it.  But, that's just me.   :D

We used to have goats, and we milked a couple of them.  After seeing all the stuff that fell into the bucket, you can bet that the cats got the milk. 

SwampDonkey

Years ago before regulations I know some farms I wouldn't drink no milk from. It's just like anything else, if you want to live like a slob don't invite me to dinner.  :D

My grandmother was the cleanest woman on the planet, she only drank skim milk all the years I knew her and mostly the powdered stuff out of the box. :D  Yip. She made good butter that you could be sure was handled and done right. ;)

woodsteach

My family only drinks the raw, right out of the bulk tank milk.  As soon as I find the right milk cow that is cost effective that is the way we will go.  Right now I pay $1.50/gal, kinda of hard to justify the cow, but I'd like my milk to be as organic/natural/grassfed as possible.

I just don't understand why the need for a law saying I can or can't drink raw milk.  If I want to go to the neighbors and purchase their milk it is my choice and I'm getting DanG tired of my choices being made by someone else.

Sure if you want your milk stored in a 5000 gallon tank for a day or two, then shipped picked up by a trucker and then stored on that tanker for a day or two, then shipped from say western Kansas to oh I don't know Missouri, Georgia, Iowa, etc... then mixed with other milk from similar experiences then bottled and stored and then shipped to your local grocer, then you bet it had better be pasteurized.  I just prefer to go to the source and take my chances.

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

It's as much about corporate control of the food supply as it is food safety.

Food Advisory Committee
DAVID S. SMITH, Ph.D.
-KRAFT FOODS (1997-2001)
-HUNT-WESSON (1989-1997)
-Frito Lay (1982–1985)

BARBARA BLAKISTONE, Ph.D.
-Graham Packaging Company (2002-2004)
-National Food Processors Association (1993-2001)
- National Dairy Promotion and Research Board (1991-1992)
-The Mead Corporation (1985-1991)

Food,Inc

woodsteach

SD I just downloaded the food inc. movie 2 weeks ago and watched it again and again w/my girls. 

I agree that it is as much as about control as safety. 

Back to the cheese man I have got to get some ordered off of these sites that have been recommended.
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SwampDonkey

I did finally get satisfaction from Cabot cheese with their extra sharp. I edited the post above, it's actually the old or sharp cheese. Extra sharp cheese I had years ago was a lot more sharp than they claim, but anyhow. ;)

deutz4

Made an order a couple of months ago at wisconsincheesemart.com for Limburger, German Brick and Bierkase. What a taste treat for a German tongue. They said that years ago there were hundreds of cheese makers in Wisconsin alone that made Limburger. Now the company that they are retailing (Chalet Cheese) is the last Limburger maker in the U.S. So if any of you are fans of Limburger I would urge you to do some business with them. Its not a very pricey cheese (about $8.00/lb.) but if we are forced to buy imported brands it will be.

Thank You Sponsors!