iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 red eye

Started by old 030, February 27, 2010, 09:08:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

old 030

wanted to know if there is a serial number cutoff known for the early redeye's, and is there a way to tell the newer redeye's from the older ones?, thanks

Cut4fun

I have a 066 red eye  and I have no clue what your asking about newer red eyes  ???.

old 030

i understand that these saws had issues with ignitions early on, and had updated modules, thats what i mean by early or late, thanks for replying

Cut4fun

I thought I had read something on that at one time too. I know JJ would know that info for you. 
Mine has been changed over to a unlimited coil now.

old 030

is the unlimited coil still available?, thanks again, please let me know. i mainly need the info because i'm looking at buying one of these (066), then the guy told me it was a redlight version, thats why im looking for any info on this saw, again thanks

joe_indi

If by 'redeye' you mean the older 066 versions with a LEDand ignition modules with speed limiters, machines with serial number with end digits 31067164 onwards had the ignition modules without  speed limiters or the LED.
To change the ignition module of a previous 066 to the newer version, the flywheel too has to be changed.If I read it right, for a short period a flywheel with two slots for the woodruf was available.Probably to suit both ignition modules.
Part number of the flywheel has not been changed.
So, in case you want to replace a redeye module you must also change the flywheel.

Carbs became leaner burn from jet size 72 to 64 from serial number end digits  31067138 onwards.

This is the info on a 1994 bulletin.

But according to a bulletin of 1996, the crankshaft was beefed up.
A bigger big end bearing.
Flywheel end was made thicker so that a newer M10 flywheel nut replaced the previous M8 nut.
Flywheel oil seal seat diameter was increased to 15mm from 13.5mm (probable reason for that extra oil seal in the gasket kit).
Polymer flywheel with metal hub.
and...
A change of the Ignition module again!!

So, Redeye module had part number            1122 400 1303
1994 post Redeye module had part number  1122 400 1311
1996 onwards module had part number        0000 400 1303
And the current module has part number       1122 400 1314
The current parts list also shows a module with part number 1122 400 1307 as being available for the 066.

Joe

old 030

thanks joe, thats why i just joined this site, for info like you just gave, many thanks

windthrown

There is a lot of confusion over the 066 'red eye' or 'red light' model saws. Also a lot of confused between the Red Light 066 and the similar limited non red light 064. Even in what has been posted here. You can run an early model 066 red light with the aluminum flywheel with one of the later aluminum flywheel unlimited coils. All the US 066 AL flywheel models should only have one key in the flywheel. I had an AL flywheel on my Red Light 066, and I still have the later Iida coil model from it. It ran fine. The limited coils were commonly pulled and replaced with unlimited ones to run better. This was because the red light coil module would fade out over time and limit downward on RPM's (like 12.5k down to 10k RPM). The non-limiting coils do not have the extra wire and LED lead though. Some 066 red lights were Magnums (mine was), meaning they had the dual port muffler for increasing the 7.3 HP 'regular' 066 to 7.8 HP.

I have the Stihl 066/064 factory ignition module tech sheet that lists the 6 most common aluminum and poly flywheels (there are a whole series of them) as well as all the matched coils. However, there were 9 options in all. There were at least two later models of AL flywheels on non-red-eye 066 before they flipped to polymer in 1996. The red light 066 was only made for a short period of time. They were only made on a very early flat top 066; there was no later model 066 using them. There was an RPM rev limiter in the coil and an LED lead running from the coil to an LED light at the side of the saw. The light lit up when the rev limit was reached and the coil was cutting out. This was so that you could tune the carb H screw to lean it out just until it was cutting out, and the LED light was flashing. For that reason these saws had engines that were fairly bullet-proof; it was nearly impossible to score the engine with the limiter in them. Only straight gassing did them in. Or the bearings went out, as was the case with mine. The swapped out red light and later models of 066 with the AL flywheel and unlimited coil had a common problem with spinning the flywheel side of the crankshaft off because of over revving. So Stihl made the flywheel side of the crank thicker in 1996 and replaced the aluminum with a poly flywheel. They also changed the ignition modules to to advance the timing at high revs on the later poly coils. The AL flywheel coils are straight-line timed ignitions; they do not have an advance curve in them like the poly modules do. The CDIC coils also had a timing retard in them at low speed for easier starting.

In the above post, the 1303 module was in the 064, and not the 066. The red light 066 coil module was a Prufrex CDIC, Stihl PN: 1122 400 1307 (similar to the 064 module, but it has the LED lead). It was changed to an Iida unlimited coil module, Stihl PN: 0000 400 1300, in 1993 and retained the AL flywheel. That was changed to an Iida unlimited coil module, Stihl PN: 1122 400 1311, in 1994. The 0000 400 1300 coil is a generic coil and is still used in some of the new larger Stihl saws. The 064 also had a CDIC coil put in them from 1989, but there was no red light limiter LED. Note that only the 064 AL flywheels have two key slots. This is to accomodate different types of ignition; one was for electronic ignition, and the other was for analog points and condenser ignitions. On these flywheels, B stands for Bosche (old points) and P stands for Prufrex (new electronic).

Clear as mud? I figured all this crap out when I tried to restore my Red Light 066 to original condition. However the bearings were shot and so expensive to replace that I wound up parting most if it out.
Stihls: 440R, 361, 360, 310, 260, 211, 020T. Husky: 372xt.
I ship Stihl saws down under: message me for details.

old 030

thanks, more great info, i'll see the saw tomorrow, and make up my mind if i want it or not, again thanks

Cut4fun

Windy, wasnt there something different in the cranks and crank bearings on the red lights compared to  the 066 with AL fly and then again to poly fly?

windthrown

Yah, I believe that the clutch side case bearings are different on the early model 066 (and more expensive). That is from memory from pricing the beargings at a better Stihl shop in Cottage Grove last summer. The flyweel side case bearings are all the same.

In my IPL for the 066 and the 660, its shows the same bearings for both sides, old and new. But I think that is for the later 066 and on.  ??? I know that the cranks are diffeerent on the poly flywheel models, and the IPL shows a different crank from Feb. '96 and on. The cases are also slightly different between these, and the flywheel side bearing seals are different as well.

windthrown

From my 066 notes I also found a tidbit that someone said that the Red Light 066 models had more aggressive porting than later model 066s. They had more power than the new MS660 has. The standard red light 066 had 7.3 HP, and the Mag (DP muffler) had 7.8 HP. The new MS 660 has 7.0 HP.

Quick histry of the 066:

Early models from early '91 to late '92 had the 'red light' LED and limiter coil with AL flywheel.

Loggers figured out the limiter and swapped in the non-limiter coil. Stihl figured out what was being done and came out with the non-limted coil model.
     Original red light saws with limiters were bullet proof and immune from air leaks and lean scoring as well as flywheel sheer (both good).
     Problem with the limiter coils fading in time and rev limits lowering to near 10k from the original 12.5k (bad).

Later-early model 066 from late '92 to early '96 had the non-limiter coil with the AL flywheel. The LED was removed (a weird gimmik at best).

Problem with this saw was that if they were revved high and sunk into a wood cut and bogged down, the inertia of the AL flywheel sheared off
     the crankshaft, and self-destructed the flywheel, saw case, crank, or all of them (not good).

Late model 066 from '96 and on were updated with a beefier crank and a polymer flywheel which is a lot lighter, and not prone to sheer from built up inertia. The poly flywheel also had a different ignition coil that had an advanced ignition curve at the top end. The decomp button was added at some point, with the humped top.

The late model 066 was made obsolete with the MS660, but they remained essentially the same saw. 

The 066 came in several models. The MR (Mag Rescue) model had a 3/4 wrap, a PNW sprocket side cover and large falling dogs. The early M (magnum) model had a dual port muffler. The Arctic model had a wrap handle heater and a mini alternator in the flywheel (both AL and poly flywheels have a heated handle/carb version). There are also Aussie AUS and Canadian CDN versions of the saws. The Canadian model had a full wrap option. The Australian model came with a high output oil pump. They had light, medium and heavy duty air filter options. They came with an Elasto-start as an option. They also had a variety of carbs, some had a fixed H jet, some with heaters to keep the carbs from icing up.

Rocky_J

Great info except for your last line,
The late model 066 was made obsolete with the MS660, but they remained essentially the same saw. 
This is deceiving because NO models were changed at the time of the name change. They assigned a new style model designation to all the same saws. All saws have had various upgrades, downgrades and other assorted changes over the years, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the model name change in 2001 (or whenever it was) when Stihl began using the 'MS' prefix for all chainsaws.

windthrown

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 27, 2010, 08:34:23 PM
Great info except for your last line,
This is deceiving because NO models were changed at the time of the name change. They assigned a new style model designation to all the same saws. All saws have had various upgrades, downgrades and other assorted changes over the years, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the model name change in 2001 (or whenever it was) when Stihl began using the 'MS' prefix for all chainsaws.

Not quite right there... on most all the other Stihl saws, the oil and gas caps were changed over to the flippey caps from the screw in ones when they became MS saws. This changed the gas and oil tanks on those models to accept the new caps as well. They are not interchangable (or rather, they are interchangable if you sawp out the oil and gas tanks, AND the oil and gas caps). Also the gas tank vents changed to the news system on the 1123 and 1127 saws. The 660 was one of the few that retained the screw caps. Also labels were changed, and/or the location of the labels were changed. This affected some parts like starter covers and top covers (they remained interchangable in most cases though). Another issue is that all the Stihl saw model listings and all the data are separate between MS and previous models; I have separate IPLs and WS manuals for the 066 and the MS660. This is trivial from the perspective of the 066 saw itself, yes. But in fact, the 066 became obsolete by the MS660, deceptive or otherwise.

At some point in the mid to late 066 era they had also added the decomp valve, and they also changed to the humped top instead of the flat top on the engine cover. I do not have the dates for when these were changed though.

HolmenTree

My 066 Mag Artic red light, with dp muffler serial # is 126316881. This "ARTIC" has the thermostatically controlled heated carb and no heated handles. I didn't bother getting the bulky wrap handle. The heated carb still heats perfectly today.
I bought this saw brand new in the summer of 1992 so I presume its a 1991 model. I did upgrade it about 6mths after I bought it with the newer  flywheel and module.
18 years later and a few thousand hrs on it, it still has lots of compression, I never had the cylinder off of it. Only 2nd to my 090AV, my 066 is the toughest saw I ever owned, never broke a crank, bearing, etc.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Cut4fun

Comparing different chains one day for fun in 23" spruce on my 066 RL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21GX7mLg_gA

Then throw a short bar on for some 10x10 gtg fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkvHZY_uwBg

HolmenTree

Nice videos Cut4fun, right out of the box new those dp mufflers were loud as I remember about mine.
I just posted a few minutes before your post here so not sure if you read it but compare your serial# to my 066 red lights #, I bought mine brand new in the summer of 1992.
Willard.

Cut4fun

I posted pics in a easier spot.  ;)

Buckwithnuc

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 27, 2010, 09:54:20 PM
My 066 Mag Artic red light, with dp muffler serial # is 126316881. This "ARTIC" has the thermostatically controlled heated carb and no heated handles. I didn't bother getting the bulky wrap handle. The heated carb still heats perfectly today.
I bought this saw brand new in the summer of 1992 so I presume its a 1991 model. I did upgrade it about 6mths after I bought it with the newer  flywheel and module.
18 years later and a few thousand hrs on it, it still has lots of compression, I never had the cylinder off of it. Only 2nd to my 090AV, my 066 is the toughest saw I ever owned, never broke a crank, bearing, etc.
Willard.

Hey HolmenTree, I sent you a message concerning your 066 Arctic RL. Here is a copy of that message:

"Hi there,

I believe you posted on this forum as well as arboristsite a few years ago about your 066 Arctic red light you bought in 1993 the has the heated carb. You said you upgraded and changed your flywheel and ignition module which was a Prufrex CDIC and old single keyed flywheel which was the arctic version equivalent of the 1122 400 1209 standard flywheel.

My Question is: do you know the part number of that old Arctic flywheel and old generator or do you have a parts list with those parts on it?

I have had a 066MR red light for about four years now and I'm trying to figure out if I can convert it to an Arctic while leaving the original red light components intact and working. I think this is the greatest saw.

Any help or feedback is appreciated,

Stephen in NY."

SawTroll

Quote from: windthrown on February 27, 2010, 08:08:46 PM
     Loggers figured out the limiter and swapped in the non-limiter coil. Stihl figured out what was being done and came out with the non-limted coil model.

From my 066 notes I also found a tidbit that someone said that the Red Light 066 models had more aggressive porting than later model 066s. They had more power than the new MS660 has. The standard red light 066 had 7.3 HP, and the Mag (DP muffler) had 7.8 HP. The new MS 660 has 7.0 HP.

Quick histry of the 066:

Early models from early '91 to late '92 had the 'red light' LED and limiter coil with AL flywheel.

The first year, at least in Europe and Australia, was 1988. Also the "red light" ignition wasn't replaced before 1994 in European markets. 1991-1992 was true in the US market though.

The power rating of the non-magnum red light was 5.0 kW/6.8 hp, according to most Stihl documents I have seen (catalogs and the 1991 Service Manual). Other documents agree with what you posted though - so the picture is "blurred".
Information collector.

JohnG28

Welcome Stephen. Sorry I can't help you on your question,  but where in NY are you?
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Buckwithnuc

Quote from: JohnG28 on July 03, 2014, 09:38:34 AM
Welcome Stephen. Sorry I can't help you on your question,  but where in NY are you?

Sent PM

HolmenTree

Quote from: SawTroll on July 03, 2014, 06:08:09 AM

Quick histry of the 066:

The first year, at least in Europe and Australia, was 1988. Also the "red light" ignition wasn't replaced before 1994 in European markets. 1991-1992 was true in the US market though.

The power rating of the non-magnum red light was 5.0 kW/6.8 hp, according to most Stihl documents I have seen (catalogs and the 1991 Service Manual). Other documents agree with what you posted though - so the picture is "blurred".
Niko , I believe those 1988 were 064 models.

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 04, 2014, 12:58:24 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on July 03, 2014, 06:08:09 AM

Quick histry of the 066:

To add I put a little more thought into this Niko. Redlights in 1988 is new to me because I would have heard about them when I worked for Stihl Canada in 1989 and I did sit in meetings with Hans Peter Stihl.
The earliest digital  controlled Stihl I heard of was the 064 nicknamed the "Brain" in 1990.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on July 04, 2014, 12:58:24 AM

No, they were not - they just weren't in North America!
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!