iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclassic front burn only

Started by stumper, February 26, 2010, 04:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stumper

For some reason my E classic is only burning the front half of the wood box.  I have cleaned everything and all the air holes are open but it still is only burning the front half of the wood.  It has alway burned the front better then the rear but now it will burn the front completely and everything behind the reaction chamber hole will just be smoked to charred.

Any thoughts?

ken999

stumper

No obvious problem with the door gasket but this is its second heating season.

firechief

Stumper,
This is my first year running the eclassic.  I was told by my dealer that CB told them to load all my wood in the front for the stove inside the door and not to worry about the back.  Not knowing any better being a newbie, that's what I've always done and have no problems as of yet.

doctorb

I,too, have noticed that the front wood burns prior to the back.  However, when it's left to it's own devices, all the wood is eventually burned without a decrease in temperature or efficiency.  So, in my mind, while the front burn occurs, it's not a problem.  Are you sasying that wood left at the back doesn't burn at all?  I find that hard to believe.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

stumper

The wood in front has been burning completely, coals and all.  Exposing the hole to the reaction chamber.  The wood in back is largely untouched.  I have not lost temperature and it may burn the back if left long enough. 

Historically, it has burnt 60% front 40% rear.  Now I would say 90% front 10% rear.

doctorb

Stumper

Sounds like you have had a change in the pattern of air flow through the firebox.  I would empty out some of the ash and a bit of the coals in the firebox and really check those airholes, especially at the back wall.  I think that, if the ash/coals level builds up high enough, the air flow from the back gets diverted almost straight up (I commonly see a hollowed out section in the ash in front of the central and deepest back wall air hole), only to then be forced back down at the front of the stove and through the moon opening.  If the draft is not passing through the wood, eventually it will bypass that section until the air flow changes.  These changes happen as the wood settles, and is the reason, in my uneducated opinion, that most of us have noticed the uneven burn pattern favoring the front of the firebox.  I'm open to any other explanation.  I would bet that CB would know the reason for this one.  Maybe not your dealer, but the manufacturer.  If it persists, I'd call them.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Shagy

Your problem is the added holes need to be put in the rear of your stove. It has nothing to do with the door gasket. You should have recieved the info in a box that has the valve that limits the flow of below 150 to heating system in home. The holes work wonders. The dealer here will do these here for free.
The problem with common scene is that it's not so common...... Mark Twain

Thank You Sponsors!