iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How Many Cords of firewood can you get from a tri-axle logging truck?

Started by KMAN, February 25, 2010, 09:36:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KMAN

I am thinking about buying in a tri axle load of logs to cut up and use as firewood to save time running around getting wood. I was just wondering if any body knew on a average how many cords of wood i could expect to get from 1 truck load of logs. I am not looking for the exact amount just a idea. Someone told me that I could see about 7 cords but that seems low to me but again i just dont know. Any thoughts would be great. Thanks Kman

bill m

With good straight pole firewood on a tri axle 8 cords is the max. but 7 to 7.5 is about average.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

4genlgr

kman, with 20 foot wood, straight-ish, nicely loaded and a variety of  diameters my triaxle carried 8 cord on average
hauled alot to guys who processed by hand and they were happy with that call
if i had alot of top wood or crooked stuff we would call it less but we were all in agreement with the size of the load

mainiac

I have two drivers that haul for me that uses a tri-ax. Both average 9 cord have seen as much as ten. One sells by wieght and the other usually by volume. Both haul on average 28'. When I process it I get very close to what I pay for +/- half a cord.

I have used another driver that uses a wheeler that will have 8 cord on it.

Mainiac
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jamie_C

What are you guys calling a "tri-axle" ?? Up here a tandem truck (10 wheeler) hauls between 6 & 8 cords and a tri-axle trailer about 15 cords.

furltech

I was thinking the same jamie they must call a tri axle something else .

4genlgr

my tri-x was a ten wheel truck with an air tag axle on the back giving it 3 x's under the body and 14 wheels
like a triaxle dump truck only the lift x is on the back

countryjonez

what are the measurements of a cord? how much do they go for a cord? thanks for any info
If God be for us who can be against us ?

Jamie_C

Quote from: 4genlgr on February 26, 2010, 06:46:08 PM
my tri-x was a ten wheel truck with an air tag axle on the back giving it 3 x's under the body and 14 wheels
like a triaxle dump truck only the lift x is on the back

That sounds more in line with what we call a "tridem drive", only usually it is the lead axle that is the lift around here. Seldom seen except for floating really heavy loads.

bill m

If the lead axle lifts it is called a pusher axle, in back it is called a tag axle.
Quote from: countryjonez on February 26, 2010, 06:51:18 PM
what are the measurements of a cord? how much do they go for a cord? thanks for any info
A full cord is 4 ft x 4 ft. x 8 ft. = 128 cubic feet.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Bobus2003

Here the trucks are hauling around 10-12 Cord maybe more depending on the trucker and length of wood. Most Tractors can handle up to 20' logs and longer on the pup

4genlgr

with the weight laws the way they are in maine they lend themselves to 4axle, rear lift x configureation. loaders behind the cab and not too many pups or haywagons- if you can get one of those in your landing you might as well use a semi with a tri x trailer
gross weight 100,000
the tag x lets you shift some of the weight to the front x by increasing the air pressure in the bags

mainiac

The trucks that I am talking about have the floating x on the back if I remember correctly. Giving it 14 wheels on the ground loader behind the cab.

In Maine (state law)a cord measures 128 cubic feet stacked or the way I sell it is  loose thrown 12-16" 180 cubic feet or 24" 195 cubic feet.

As for price, I know that it it quite regional. I have heard of $85/cord for hard wood and as much as $125/cord I am paying $100-$110 right now but I have a few specs that end up driving the cost up some. I don't accept anything less than 6" diameter and nothing over 20". Bad crooks and notches usually get kicked back as well. I have these requirements because I am feeding a small processor.

Mainiac
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

SwampDonkey

I've seen those triaxles here hauling wood and on contract to haul farm fertilizer from blending plants, not so common though. We just used a regular tandum Chevy on the farm. We hauled 8' aspen or whatever and got 8 cords a load. We would hire a tractor to haul long logs.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4genlgr

kman, there was another discussion of this in another section of the forum and it got into all the ways to measure a cord etc.
a couple of observations:
the trucks i have seen from PA are set up different than the one i ran and most of the ones i know
if your buying long lenght wood,  your not buying cut and split
we figured a 1foot of wood =1cord where the wood was 20ft long,fairly streight etc
check with a firewood dealer in your area and see what he is getting in per truck unless their buying by the ton

KMAN

Quote from: Bobus2003 on February 26, 2010, 10:46:22 PM
Here the trucks are hauling around 10-12 Cord maybe more depending on the trucker and length of wood. Most Tractors can handle up to 20' logs and longer on the pup

On this picture is that 10-12 cords for the truck and then 10-12 cords for the tag on trailer or is that 10-12 for the complete rig?

Bobus2003

Quote from: KMAN on February 28, 2010, 10:00:07 PM
Quote from: Bobus2003 on February 26, 2010, 10:46:22 PM

On this picture is that 10-12 cords for the truck and then 10-12 cords for the tag on trailer or is that 10-12 for the complete rig?

Thats Truck and Pup.. In that picture he's below the top of the bunks, where as most times they are a row or 2 of logs above

zopi

length of logs in feet x height x width/128- 10% for air and slop... :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thumper

a cord (128 cu ft) of good hardwood usually weighs up to 6000 lbs green. 8 cords x 6000= 48000 lbs.
Jonsered 2150 2152 2156 2165  Husqvarna 262xps Worn 1970 JD440a 06 GMC 3500 DURAMAX

Maine372

Thank You Sponsors!