iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

buying land

Started by Alexis, February 24, 2010, 05:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alexis

hello,

I am considering buying a very cheap land that has already been logged. I'm wondering if I have to do something to make sure that the tree will grow back or is nature gonna take care of anything. I'm not in a rush. I'm considering buying and don't ming waiting 40 years for the tree to come...

Alexis

Ron Scott

You should consider having a professional forester look at any proposed tracks to give you some advice on taking the "existing condition" to "your desired future condition".
~Ron

Maine372

theres a difference between logged and 'mollyhocked'  (pardon the vernacular) 

if it was 'logged' and there is still a residual stand of some sort there should be plently of seeds and young trees that werent destroyed to start the next generation.

if it was clear cut and is of a size that seeds from neighboring stands cannot populate the area, then you might have to do planting of some sort.

you should also consider species composition. spruce dont throw pine seeds. if what you want to grow isnt represented in the stand as it stands, then you will need to change your mind or your strategy.

definately hire a forester. due to the climate im sure that left alone long enough the land will grow trees, but to grow trees of value at a rate that makes the land worth owning, you should seek a professionals guidance.

petefrom bearswamp

Ron is right on the money, get professional advice.
Check to see if there is a government dept. of forestry that gives advice.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

tughill

I personnally believe there is a big difference between 'cheap' and 'good value'.  Oftentimes, cheap things are NOT good values.

As far as land goes, you must consider the current and potential future timber value, recreational value, development value/potential, etc.  Also compare with recent area sales, the tax assessment value, and the like.

Another consideration is the unit value, meaning large tracts of land are almost always cheaper on a unit (per acre) basis.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

WDH

Quote from: Alexis on February 24, 2010, 05:33:27 PM
hello,

I'm wondering if I have to do something to make sure that the tree will grow back or is nature gonna take care of anything.

Oh yes, nature will definitely take care of it for you and reproduce a new forest.  But, it may not be the forest that you want or a forest with any real future commercial timber value.  Light seeded species will colonize any newly cut area, but these species may have low timber value down the road or none at all.  If you want certain desirable species for you area, you may not want to let nature take care of it for you.  That is where a Forester can help you.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

petefrom bearswamp

Hey Boonville,
Any snow there WITHOUT a big crowd?
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

SwampDonkey

Alexis, do they have a private woodlot silviculture program in your area of Quebec?

http://www.afpo.ca

http://mrnf.gouv.qc.ca/forets/privees/privees-programmes-valeur.jsp
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tughill

Pete,
I don't want to hijack this thread, but yes we have plenty of snow, not sure what you mean about the crowd....the snowmobile trails are open for business and fairly well travelled this year, if thats what you're driving at.  My sled has an unresolved engine problem, and has been in the garage, no riding for me this year.

Thanks
"Those who hammer their guns into plows, will plow for those who do not."- Thomas Jefferson
Local Farmer here won 10$ million in the lottery, when asked what he was going to do with his winnings, responded, "Keep on farming until that's all gone too."

Thank You Sponsors!