iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Feral Hogs

Started by Ron Scott, February 24, 2010, 04:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildDog

QuoteWhat keeps the pilot from getting a face full of brass or hulls since all of the semi auto's eject to the right rear ?  What keeps all the junk from piling up underthe pedals ?

Our aerial shoots are only conducted in Jet Rangers/Long Rangers with a pilot and navigator in the front and shooter harnessed in behind the pilot with the door removed.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

WildDog

A while back I nearly trod on this big old feral boar, i'd guestimate he'd go 300lbs +, at the time he just ran into some scrub and vented his anger by nashing his tusks and doing little charges in my direction then last Wednesday I was checking the same paddock to photograph some weeds and once again didn't have a rifle. I crawled up to about 25ft on the downhill side of him, he knew something wasn't right and kept looking up sniffing and snorting, when I got up on a knee and took the pic he took off past me and into some blackberries. I was going to come back this week and shoot him him but further down the gully I found a feral sows nest (Bottom pic) so I may try a trap or bait. I would like to to take this guys genetics out of the system, he could be as old as 20yrs and to survive this long would be one smart pig.

If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

WildDog

Some figures for the agencies May aerial shoot.....1200 pigs on 28 properties across 750,000 acres.

Woodwalker

Quote from: WildDog on June 03, 2011, 05:06:02 PM
Some figures for the agencies May aerial shoot.....1200 pigs on 28 properties across 750,000 acres.

Are these numbers a low\high kill ratio for you? That's about a hog a section. Would have thought there would be a higher kill number.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

WildDog

Woodwalker didn't mean to put you on a bum steer there with the way I worded it. The 28 properties totaled 750,000 acres.  The actual shoot would of been over a smaller area targetting pig activity such as the watercourses. I am not involved in these western opperations, my office is to the east where the country is mountainous. They were ready to go again this week but unfortunately we have the helicopter tied up over our way with dog baiting, my schedule blew out with recent poor weather.

Ron Scott

DNR sets new date for Wild Pigs.

The DNR has drafted a new order that lists sporting swine as invasive
species effective Oct. 8 of this year. The date was moved back from July 8 to allow the Legislature to regulate sporting swine facilities and hunting. Sporting swine are considered a threat to Michigan‟s forests and native wildlife as well as to domestic swine.

DNR listserve
~Ron

WDH

Sporting swine?????  Now that is a fancy name.  Down here they are just plain old wild hogs.  I guess that you have to go to Michigan to get those "sporting swine"  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

It's amazing they would survive the cold of winter. Must have lots of furs on. Of course, they would probably be as fat as a seal, so that helps. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

Yes, the wild hogs have been imported into Michigan from other states by local game farms to promote wild hog hunting within their fences. The wild hogs then become sporting hogs that escape the game farm fences and become invasive species on other properties.
~Ron

WH_Conley

Fish & Wildlife has verified we now have hogs in Lewis County, Ky. A hunter got some pictures on a trail cam. F&W said they appeared to be wild boar, not feral hogs. No other hog reports around close. They are figuring someone turned them loose. The local farmers are not happy. Anyone with a valid hunting license can shoot or trap them year round.
Bill

red oaks lumber

we have feral hogs this far north, each group is bred a liitle more harty to handle the snow and cold.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Woodcarver

I've heard numerous reports of feral hogs in the southwestern corner of the state where my wife and I grew up. I didn't know they were that far north as you are, Red Oaks.

Something ripped up part of a small meadow we have on the edge or our woods last fall.  It looked like hog rooting, but I thought it must have been a bear digging for grubs.  I haven't heard any reports of hogs in this area.  If it was a hog it must have moved on.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

Bears will rip up ant hills. Is that what your seeing Woodcarver? I am thinning a field of planted trees and there is a bear tearing up all the ant hills.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warren

Quote from: WH_Conley on August 28, 2011, 11:18:13 AM
Fish & Wildlife has verified we now have hogs in Lewis County, Ky. A hunter got some pictures on a trail cam. F&W said they appeared to be wild boar, not feral hogs. No other hog reports around close. They are figuring someone turned them loose. The local farmers are not happy. Anyone with a valid hunting license can shoot or trap them year round.

Well if you got 'em, and Pigman has 'em, they are probably around here somewhere...   I have not seen any.  But will start making sure I have something in the truck...
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Woodcarver

There were two patches, one about 20 by 30 ft, the other a little smaller where large chunks of sod were torn up and turned over.  Seems like too large an area for an animal digging up an ant hill, SD.   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

Yup, didn't know the size area being torn until now. ;)  Sure seems a ways north for a hog to survive the winter cold though. They wouldn't make it here, if the cold didn't bite them the snow would starve'm. Only feral hogs we had was farmers not keeping their hogs attended to in the summer rooting in the potato fields and grain.

Ron Scott

Wild Hogs Caught in Michigan.

Trapping efforts led by the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy have resulted in the capture of 20 wild hogs in Midland County. All have been Eurasian wild hogs, rather than feral domestic hogs, according to the conservancy.

Most of the hogs were juveniles, but a big boar and pregnant sow were also caught. Wild hogs are considered
by many experts to be a significant threat to our forests and wildlife, as well as a disease threat to domestic hogs.

Mich. Wildlife Conservancy
~Ron

WildDog

We are 1st day through a 3 day aerial shooting campaign for feral pigs, started this afternoon, only 44 shot, tomorrow should see bigger numbers taken. We are starting at 6:00am till 10:30 am and then 2pm to 5:50pm. The control work is over 20 properties and 3 National Parks, should take some pigs out of the equation.

Mooseherder

I saw a Feral Hog on the side of the northbound lanes of I-95 this morning at 7am. 10 miles north of West Palm.  I was paying attention to the State Trooper who was in the break down lane and there it was right after.  It was all black and eating something on the wrong side ofda fence.  It's been a little while since we had seen a live one.  I have seen one dead onda side of a country road last week and the week before also but not onda 95.   People are going 80+ onda 95!

WDH

It would not pay to hit a big boar hog going 80 MPH  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Or even a small one.  I am told that hogs are solid and will cause auto damage big time.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Should try moose. The legs get kicked out from under'm and they come in on you through the windshield, 800-1200 lbs worth.  :-\

Magicman

Of course, we don't have moose, but I had heard that they are worse than horses.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

SwampDonkey

About the only redeeming quality is the meat, and it better be a young one because those old bruisers are tough as nails. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!