iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Expo Richmond 2010 - May 21 - 22, 2010

Started by Dan_Shade, February 23, 2010, 09:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

http://exporichmond.com/index.html

Who is planning on attending this year?  I'm planning on taking that friday off of work and possibly running back down on Saturday.   This has been a decent show in the past.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Cedarman

I plan on going.  Don't know what day or days.  I have always found a wealth of info and contacts at the show.  Looking at new equipment always gets the wheels spinning.  Lots of parts dealers.  Also a good chance to pick up some new publications.  Sometimes a free coffee cup, hat, ink pens, note pads, etc. Plus enough candy and peanuts that you don't have to go out for lunch.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

submarinesailor

Dan,

Friday the 21st is my MDO/RDO, so I plan on attending.  If my buddy doesn't go ( he loves to drive), maybe I can catch a ride.

Bruce

DR_Buck

I plan on being there as well.  I think it will be Friday too.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jasperfield

I've already sent in for my ticket. This is one of the top three shows of the year.

allmosdone

Sounds like fun! I'll be the big fella with the brown overalls and the black hat. See you there. CRA
If It Was Easy, Everyone Would Be Doimg It Every Day                  Buckaroo Bonzi             Make freinds,you'll be glad you did.  CRA

woodpeckerlips

i'll be there,   i need a couple log rollers, some new carbide teeth., some good flat files, round files, and i'm sure there will be other stuff i see i cant leave with out.    i'm hoping to find out where i can get a 3 pt hitch cutoff saw.

DR_Buck

I got my 'badge' confirmation in the mail the other day.  I'm ready!

Quote from: woodpeckerlips on March 29, 2010, 11:23:36 AM
i'm hoping to find out where i can get a 3 pt hitch cutoff saw.

Check out the local farm auctions.  My guess is that will be your best bet.

Kansas

I just looked at the exhibitor list. There is several there with wood waste grinders. A few more I want to see. Time to check airline schedules.

Wallys World

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

mcfcfan

Hi guys,

Peterson Portable Sawmills will be there exibiting a WPF  8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

zopi

I'm planning to go...probably with Glgdiggs...dunno what day though..probably saturday..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

I have signed up for the solar drying class, it's $60 and on thursday.   Has anybody else signed up for it?

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

submarinesailor

customsawyer

The wife and I are planning on being there don't know what days but will try to take that week off and just ride the bike up the coast through Cape Hatteras, N.C. then get lost in the hills on purpose. ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

DR_Buck

I'm a definate for Friday.  Entrance ticket is in hand and day off from the office is confirmed.   Anybody up for an early morning breakfast gathering?

Dan_Shade

I'm planning to be there friday.  I'm game for breakfast.  anybody else?

submarinesailor

DR_Buck

Quote from: DR_Buck on May 11, 2010, 06:40:34 AM
I'm a definate for Friday.  Entrance ticket is in hand and day off from the office is confirmed.   Anybody up for an early morning breakfast gathering?

I'll start looking for for a place close to the site.  What time you up for?  Say shoot for 7:30 to 8:00 AM for breakfast?  It's about 1.5 hr drive to Richmond for me.

Dan_Shade

WDH

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 01, 2010, 11:54:53 PM
I have signed up for the solar drying class, it's $60 and on thursday.   Has anybody else signed up for it?

Dan,

Take good notes! 

I wanted to attend, but that is too far to come for a 4 hour class.  There has been a two day seminar in the past, but they shortened it this year.  I am definitely going to build a solar kiln sometimes this year.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Dan_Shade

i've been drying lumber with a solar kiln for several years, I just put it in and ignore the lumber until I have some place to put it....

this class should be pretty good.  at least I hope.

pineywoods

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 12, 2010, 09:33:16 PM
i've been drying lumber with a solar kiln for several years, I just put it in and ignore the lumber until I have some place to put it....

Same here, or until I need the kiln for another batch...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Kansas

Just got the hotel and plane tickets ordered. Arriving Thursday afternoon and leaving Saturday  morning.

submarinesailor

Dave, Dan, Kansas and anyone else who wants to join us,

Did a little on-line research for a breakfast place near the expo. There is not a Cracker Barrel, Bob Evans, Denny's, IHOP or Waffle House near the site.  Most of them are on the west side of I95 - the other side of town. 

If Kansas (and he would like to join us for breakfast) is staying down near the airport, I recommend we go to the Cracker Barrel at 4435 Laburnum Ave.  It's right where Laburnum and I64 cross.  The expo is about 6.5 miles north on Laburnum.

If he is staying out near the expo site, then I recommend we go to the IHOP or Waffle House at 7400 Sandy Lane, Mechanicsville.  It's just north of I295 on the Mechanicsville Turnpike.

My suggestion would be the IHOP on Mechanicsville TWP.  It's about 6 miles or less from the show.

Looking forward to breakfast and the show.

Bruce

Kansas

I am staying at the Hyatt Place Richmond Airport hotel. If I am reading the map right,  that Cracker Barrel is right there. Look forward to seeing all of you. If everyone wants breakfast somewhere other than that, let me know.

DR_Buck

Unless you want fried chicken, pizza or moo goo gai pan for breakfast,   steve_smiley  it's Cracker Barrel. 

The closest one to the site is

Cracker Barrel Old Country Str‎
7367 Bell Creek Road, Mechanicsville, VA 23111-3551
(804) 559-2261‎

I'll plan on being there at 7:30 AM.   food3 

I'll keep track here of how many plan on showing up.   See you all there. 

submarinesailor

I'll be there - unless the wife boss comes up with something she thinks is more important.

What in the world were you doing at 1:49 AM?  Don't you know it was past us old folks bed time????????? ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Wallys World

Myself and my wife will be at the show Friday but I can't talk her into getting up early for breakfast, we have a 2 1/2 hour drive in.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Cedarman

If all goes well, I hope to be tipping coffee with you Fri morning.  Plan on driving up Thur.  Anybody getting together Thur evening?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

I imagine I will be looking for a cold one (or two) after flying in on Thursday. Have never been there, so don't know what is where.

submarinesailor

If anyone else is taking the Solar Kiln class, Dan and I are having breakfast tomorrow morning at 0700 at Bob Evans, located at 5431 Glenside Dr, Richmond VA 23228.  It's just around the corner from the hotel were the class is being held.  Come join us if you have the time.

Bruce

Dan_Shade

I met up with Bruce this morning before the solar kiln class (Sorry I was running late, Bruce!).

Anyways, the class was good.  I wish that the instructor would have gone deeper into how to use the kiln, and specific drying information.

submarinesailor

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 20, 2010, 08:09:37 PM
Anyways, the class was good.  I wish that the instructor would have gone deeper into how to use the kiln, and specific drying information.

Concur.

Bruce

WDH

What was the most significant thing that you learned?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

that it must suck to be a PhD and have to field a bunch of irrelevant questions.

actually, I was operating my vents backwards, he said to leave them open for a few weeks, then close them off to finish the load.

THis probably warrants a new thread in the right forum.  I'll do that later (because I'm tired and lazy).

WDH

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 20, 2010, 09:30:40 PM
actually, I was operating my vents backwards, he said to leave them open for a few weeks, then close them off to finish the load.

THis probably warrants a new thread in the right forum.  I'll do that later (because I'm tired and lazy).

Really?  I need to hear more about this.  So, go ahead and start that new thread.

Dan_Shade

DanG

Maybe he'll get rested and perk up a little bit by the time you get your kiln built, Danny. :D :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dan_Shade

being rested up is no cure for being lazy!

VT has improved their online documents since I built my kiln.

http://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-030/420-030.html

zopi

Am still at work...and torqued off that i had to miss this...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

DR_Buck

Made it home and am dog tired!   Had a great time, ate some good food  and met and chatted with a lot of Forum members.  :)

I'll post pictures and add more details in the morning.

DR_Buck

OK,  Here are the few pictures I grabbed with the cell phone camera.   I should have taken a few more.   Wood-Mizer took quite a few that will be on their facebook page.

Here's a group that couldn't stay focused if they tried.  :D    L to R Submarine Sailor, Kansas, Dan Shade and Cedarman.   Sorry for the horrible cell phone image, but the flash didn't come on.

LogRite's newest competitor in the arch business unveiled their low cost model.    :D :D :D :D

Here's an interesting arch design that was on display at the Hudson booth.   I'm not sure how well it would work.   Doesn't look like it will handle much in the way of log diameter.

This is Stihl's new "large" saw.   Powered by a 441 Hemi.    It really ROARED when they fired it up.  :o :o :o

Husky had this monster on display.   I think Cedarman ordered one for those LARGE cedar trees he's harvesting and he can clear an entire field of cedar in 1 swipe of the bar.  :D  ;)

Kansas

I had a great time in Richmond, both at the show and meeting FF members, plus exhibitors both at the hotel and at the show. A special thanks to Buck and Cedarman for picking me up when we went to dinner.  I learned a lot. seen some good equipment, got some good ideas.
Best one though was one I didn't expect. We have struggled for years for a decent stop system for our upcut saw. A lot of times, we have lumber coming off of both bandmills that have to be cut to length and they are cutting different products. Its not unusual to be trying to cut stuff to 6 or 7 different lengths. Needless to say, things get confusing, stops get bumped, etc. A pallet enterprise out of New Albany Indiana came up with a low cost idiot-proof system. I figure I will be ordering it Monday.

Dan_Shade

WDH

VT_Forestry

I was there for a few hours on Friday.  Had a great time, watched the loader competition at the Prentice display, that was pretty neat.  Got to meet the guys from American Loggers at the Caterpillar booth and even got an autographed poster :)  And of course I ate my fair share of peanuts  :D There sure was a whole lot to see (that Stihl "machine" was something else!", wish I'd been able to make it back down on Saturday to check everything else out
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Thank You Sponsors!