iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut trees

Started by smsmith, February 23, 2010, 07:26:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smsmith

Hello, my first post here so forgive me if my post is "out of line".  I have a small number of walnut trees that I have been trying to get harvested.  One of them is quite large - limbs probably have enough for some dimensional lumber - but most of them are smaller.  I've contacted my local forester and just about every sawmill/lumber buyer I can find in my area.  None of them have any interest.  I've been told that the trees have more value as firewood (sight unseen) than for lumber.  I'm about ready to turn them all into firewood as I'm sick of the mess they create and the juglone they secrete which keeps other things from growing.  I'd love to have these trees harvested and turned into lumber.  Any ideas/thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

Jeff

First of all, the limbs are firewood. Period. It Doesn't matter how big they are. Are these yard trees? I am guessing they are if the mess is a problem. If they are yard trees, the odds of someone buying them from you are about what you have already found out. Almost Null. That leaves you with one option if you want to see them turned into lumber.  Hire someone to cut them down, cut the limbs up for firewood and any of the trunk that is less then 10" in diameter or that has any crook in it.  Then find a portable sawmill to hire to cut it into lumber for you. Yard trees more then likely have hardware embedded in them. If the sawyer hits metal, you will be responsible for the additional blade charges as well as the sawing charges.

This is a good link about the value of Urban Walnut trees

http://ohioline.osu.edu/for-fact/0044.html
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

metalspinner

That's a great link, Jeff.  Thanks for posting it.

smsmith,
If you're interested in having your tree turn into something beautiful, contact your local wood turning club after it has been cut down.  They are often looking for big wood pieces to turn.  But don't get your hopes up on big $$.  You may be able to barter a nice bowl out of the deal, though...
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Quote from: Jeff on February 23, 2010, 07:35:00 PM
First of all, the limbs are firewood. Period. It Doesn't matter how big they are.

The limb wood is full of tension wood which will not dry straight or machine satisfactorily in a furniture application.  The best you can hope for is some chunks from the limbs that may be used for bowl blanks.  However, I have not run across any bowl turners who are willing to pay for wood.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

metalspinner

QuoteHowever, I have not run across any bowl turners who are willing to pay for wood.

Don't you know it grows on trees?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

countryjonez

whats your location? i just harvested around 3000 bf of walnut. most of it came from my yard. i had 2 different buyers come to look at them.i got 1/bf and had a check in hand before they even left my farm.it took me about 3 days to cut and drag them to one spot for inspection.i was very pleased with the service and check.if i can be of any help contact me. these  buyers are always buying walnut.
If God be for us who can be against us ?

smsmith

Thank you very much for the replies.  First off, I'm in south central WI - Dane Cty. to be exact. Second - are they yard trees?  Well, I guess that depends.  Several are in my "back yard" - that isn't really a yard -it's the remnants of a forest.  I'd have to guess that several of them would be categorized as yard trees.  Most of them are growing in a "semi-natural" setting.  I deer hunt near them, so it isn't exactly a "yard" I guess.

Some of these trees have pretty good diameters at chest level.  I haven't done the circumferences for a year or two so I don't have the numbers in my head.  They aren't little anyway. 

Most of these trees I could drop and get to a location where they are easy to load.  Of course, the largest of them is near my shop and I'd never attempt to drop it.  I do okay with a saw, but not that good.

Again, thanks for the replies.  I'll continue to investigate

thecfarm

smsmith,welcome to the forum.Trees like what you have are hard to get rid off.Low volume seems to cost more money to take to market than they are worth.As you are finding out it's a hard market.Probaly the places you have called have heard what you are telling them before.Probaly out of 100 calls only a few are worth it for them to send someone out to look at.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

Quote from: smsmith on February 23, 2010, 07:26:42 PM
....................  I'd love to have these trees harvested and turned into lumber.  Any ideas/thoughts?  Thank you in advance.

Take them to a local mill and get them sawn into lumber for you, or have a local mill come by and saw the logs at your place. Then you will have some walnut lumber to work with or to market as you see fit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on March 01, 2010, 09:42:10 AM

Take them to a local mill and get them sawn into lumber for you, or have a local mill come by and saw the logs at your place. Then you will have some walnut lumber to work with or to market as you see fit.

Or you and Steve could be loggers and have some nice wood.   8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

smsmith

Thanks again guys, appreciate the info.  I had assumed that this information would be what I'd get, but I figured I'd ask here.

My guess on the trees is that they'll grow here until either A. I get so sick of them and the juglone they secrete that I cut them up and heat my shop with them or B. 20 years from now when I sell out the bulldozers will push them over as they put up another mini mall.

Kind of funny how these trees went during my lifetime.  One tree I have my Dad (we bought my folks out when they retired) was offered over $1000 for in the mid to late '70s.  Now it's highest value is firewood - go figure.

beenthere

In the 70's, walnut was in higher demand than it is now.

Any chance you can get a pic posted of what the trees look like?  Now, with the snow cover and no leaves, they should show up pretty good.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!