iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is this a big whack of logs, or a whack of big logs???

Started by scsmith42, February 22, 2010, 10:29:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

This past Saturday one of our fellow FF members really made my day.  Ivey Pridgen called me and told me that he had picked up some rather large oak logs from a local loggers deck, and figured that I'd be interested in them.

You bet I'm interested!  It's always great to find some nice, large clear logs.

Sunday I headed over to the coast to pick them up, and when I got there, holy cow!  This is what I saw when I pulled in:

(ignore the date - the camera time was not set correctly)

These were some of the nicest white oak logs that I've seen.  38" or thereabouts on the small end, and nice tight growth rings with no sign of metal.  A single tree produced almost 40' of nice, clear logs.

And to top it off, Ivey gave me a large cypress to boot!

FF members (and Ivey in particular) are great folks.  Thanks Ivey!!!

Scott

ps:  Hey REID - do you recognize anything in this photo that used to belong to you???

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

customdave

Yep thats a wack of logs alright!!!!, nice ones @ that. That should give ya some chewin for a day or two, have fun & play safe....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

scsmith42

Quote from: Ironwood on February 22, 2010, 11:02:29 PM
Must be grapple. ?

Ironwood

Yup!  Next time sell him one that doesn't leak so much fluid, ok?  :D  :D

WDH

Holy white oak!!!!!  That is a big whack of big logs  :D.  There will be some beautiful q-sawn white oak lumber by the q-sawn white oak whisperer (Scott)  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

Yup, big whack of big logs!  Congrats on the aquisition, and good on Ivey for getting them to someone who can deal with them! 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

sigidi

HOLY SHivers!!! that is sweet 8)

I'd like a truck of those everyweek please ;D
Always willing to help - Allan

scsmith42

Quote from: Ironwood on February 22, 2010, 11:14:26 PM
I will offer a full refund, I NEED it now!

Ironwood

Isn't that funny how things work out?  It seems like we sit on a piece of equipment for years, finally figure that we'll sell it cause it's not being used, and then we need it....

scsmith42

Quote from: sigidi on February 23, 2010, 04:57:48 AM

You and me both! (well, I'd settle for a truck of those every month instead of every week, but you can have the leftovers!  :D)

DR Buck

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 22, 2010, 11:08:52 PM
Must be grapple. ?

Ironwood

Maybe if you wouldn't strain it on such a BIG WHACK of logs it wouldn't leak so much?    :D :D :D :D :D
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thats a nice whack of big logs Mate  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Theres still room for another two or three ontop there tho  ;) or is that just the way i load my trucks  ;) :D :D :D Ill have to track down a pic of a load dad cut when i was a kid 2x 16' by 7to8' dia and post it for you blokes  ;)

Quote from: scsmith42 on February 23, 2010, 06:16:58 AM
Quote from: sigidi on February 23, 2010, 04:57:48 AM

You and me both! (well, I'd settle for a truck of those every month instead of every week, but you can have the leftovers!  :D)

I'll say Id love aload a day like that Id be Happy Man  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) Ive just got onto a block of ringbarked Grey/red & Yellow Box 2' to 4' dia which will come in at about 500 to 750 ton of sawable logs most of them are solid as its in pretty good country for em down here pluss the blocks only 10 mi away looks lke ill be on Hardwood Posts & Beams for a while  ;) ;D ;D ;D 8) 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Norm

Even though they are a pain to deal with there's just something about a nice big log that makes us all drool. :D

Magicman

I love Big Logs.  If they are not mine, I love seeing someone else's  Big Logs..... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brdmkr

Scott,

You're making me want to fire my mill up again.  It has been at least 6 months!  Big logs make me want to service the mill and get to sawin'!
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

scsmith42

Quote from: DR_Buck on February 23, 2010, 06:20:41 AM
Quote from: scsmith42 on February 22, 2010, 11:08:52 PM
Must be grapple. ?

Ironwood

Maybe if you wouldn't strain it on such a BIG WHACK of logs it wouldn't leak so much?    :D :D :D :D :D

:D

pineywoods

Be carefull, a load just about like that on my trailer sunk the wheels down to the axles in this Louisiana clay. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Chuck White

Them's some beauties Scott!  ;)

And free to-boot!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OneWithWood

Lookin' good.  Forumites come together one more time  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Quote from: Chuck White on February 23, 2010, 10:28:42 AM

Them's some beauties Scott!  ;)

And free to-boot!  8)

Oh, they weren't free (well, the cypress was... ) but I was happy to pay for them.

donny hochstetler

nice load of fatso"s theres a sale this sat. about 15 miles from here that have a truck very similar to that one in the pic.that will be sold would be nice for my tree service but I have other plans .congradulations on the big logs should keep you swingin for awhile. 8) 8)

Kelvin

Those sure look good.  I'm curious what do logs of that caliber run?  Do they charge more or less for over size logs?  I've seen some blogs for what mills pay for logs, but local loggers quote me about 200-300% more than what the blogs say mills are paying.  I assume some of it is volume, but mostly i think they may be looking for a sucker.  Are those considered veneer logs or saw logs... No. 1 sawlogs, No. 2?  All butt logs?
I appreciate the info.
Thanks
kelvin

submarinesailor

Scott,

I wish my schedule for the next couple of months wasn't so crazy.  I would offer to come down to help you saw them up.  Always wanted to see a swinger, swing mill that is, in action for a full day.  But, my work load, both at work and home, is just so CRAZY.  I didn't even get a chance to go deer hunting this year.............   :( :( :(  Remember to be real careful while handling those big ones.  About 5 years ago we had haft of a big one get away from us and still scars me to this day. :o :o :o

Bruce

LOGDOG

Dang!!! Definitely a whack of BIG LOGS!  :)

I see some quatersawn white oak in your future.  ;)

LOGDOG

Ivey

Sorry it's taken so long to chime in.
Scott, and I had a great time Sunday loading and straping those sticks down, it was a good visit.
Reid, that grapple works just fine, yes a few leaks, but that keeps everything greased up. The whole rig works better than
I expected it to when I was putting it together. It has no problem w/ an 8,000# log as long as I can grab holt to it. ;D

Logmaster LM-4 , New Holland 4x4 w/FEL , Ford L-9000 tandem w/ prentice TS-33 loader, Nyle L200M, Cook's 4" board edger, John Deere 310se backhoe w/ forks

Thank You Sponsors!