iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timberjack 230 225

Started by maine22, February 22, 2010, 06:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maine22

I am looking to buy a timberjack 230 or a 225,but really don`t what to look for,I live on a bout 400 acres and think it is time to buy one .help!  thanks
I do know that I want a timberjack 225 or 230 or cable skidder,what I don`t know is what am I looking for when I look at the machine,like oil pressure,the winch,the transfer case?Are ther any tricks....thanks to all who responded

Twig farmer

Don't waste your time with a cable only machine. A friend of mine did have a 230 dual arch grapple with a winch, detroit power, ready to work for $14,000...this machine is about 3 miles from the Parsonsfield Maine border in NH..
If you want info, send me a PM, I'll contact him and see if it's still there.

But no matter what, you want a grapple skidder with a winch for the hard stuff. Trust me. If you only had 20 acres, I'd say a cable machine would be fine...but 400 is a lot of land...
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

celliott

Quote from: Twig farmer on February 22, 2010, 06:24:20 PM
Don't waste your time with a cable only machine. A friend of mine did have a 230 dual arch grapple with a winch, detroit power, ready to work for $14,000...this machine is about 3 miles from the Parsonsfield Maine border in NH..
If you want info, send me a PM, I'll contact him and see if it's still there.

But no matter what, you want a grapple skidder with a winch for the hard stuff. Trust me. If you only had 20 acres, I'd say a cable machine would be fine...but 400 is a lot of land...
Twig Farmer, I am going to respectfully disagree with you.  Although, I think we do need a bit more information from the OP,  unless he is going to use the skidder for commercial purposes, a cable machine will probably suit him just fine.  If he is only looking to do some TSI and only work on his property, most likely in his spare time, a cable machine should be ideal.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Twig farmer

A grapple is MORE ideal. Anytime you can eliminate labor and increase the production, it's a good thing. 8)
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

bill m

I agree with celliott. A grapple can do most trees but a cable can do all trees.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Mark K

There both decent machines. Check your center pins and craddle pins for play. Cradle pins you can check by watching the axle while raising off the ground with the blade. See how much play is in the front and rear axle. Check the antifreeze for oil and the oil for water. Timberjacks and Treefarmers are pretty easy to work on. Most parts can be bought at auto parts stores. I own a 225 made in the early 70's. Pulled alot of wood with it, just got to know it's limits.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

hollywoodmfg

some old 225 s had small planeterys id stay away from that.

timberjack240

you want an e model there biult a lil better . as for that you can get jsut as much done w a cable as you can a grapple skidder . i worked along side a grapple w our 240 i got more done all he did was pick up rocks pull one tree when i pulled 3 and burnt  a lot of fuel.. we got the reputation around here for producin high amounts of wood and we use all cable. if you kno what your doin pullin cable aint bad at all . the way i skid i usually dont pull any further than 20 ft. .. if its flat grapples are ok to. if you own mountain land and come down overtop the trees and miss it i better forget it cause there is no backin up to get it .
a skidder with both is ok to but we always figuerd if your gonna use the winch why have the grapple in your road i gess its perrsonal preferance. since your not makin your living w it i would think a cable would be just fine .. plus smaller machines have smaller graples you cant pull as much .. id go w the cable but thats jsut my opinion

chevytaHOE5674

Grapple skidders don't really start to shine until they are working behind a buncher IMO/IME.

timberjack240

yup theyre like everything else they have there place

Bobus2003

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on February 25, 2010, 05:51:19 PM
Grapple skidders don't really start to shine until they are working behind a buncher IMO/IME.

Couldn't agree more..

I dunno if your set on a TJ, but the Deere 440 or 540 is another Idea for a small skidder

bushmechanic

If you can do it when looking at used forestry equipment go on a damp day and if the owner will let you travel the machine about for a while then watch for steam comming off the planetarys this will tell you if the planetarys are bad.Better again take half inch ratchet or power bar ond check all the oils and levels in the rear ends and gearboxes to see how things are going inside.Check the engine oil and the level,overfull will indicate problems.

Thank You Sponsors!