iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tom's da man

Started by Texas Ranger, October 09, 2003, 10:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

Several of us monitor the Environemental Board over at About.com, and got into a discussion with a knot headed enviro, and a fairly decent guy from India, about polution and Coke and comtaminated Indian soft drinks.  

It got a little personal. Then Tom and a land owner stepped in and commented on the discussion.  

Thanks, Tom, I thought the discussion would end on a sour note, but you managed to make it come out.

Nice to have friends, even if you never shook their hand.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Tom

I pride myself in my choice of friends, Don. :)  Thanks.

oldsaw

My 9 year old son has just joined the schools ecology club.  I'm not too sure what to think about it, but I may want to have some fun with it here in the next month or two.  (they only meet once a month)  More on that in a second...

Anyway, he comes home from his first meeting and isn't too wierd yet, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to be "parental" and remind the teacher that old growth trees aren't used for paper production, many of us types are involved in "tree-cycling", and to introduce the concept of "herd management" now becomings man's responsibility since there are no higher level predators in (well, we have had a couple of mountain lions hit by cars in as many years, plus one sighting near Lawrence, KS this week).  Currently, in the Kansas City area, the top of the food chain for deer comes from Ford, GM, Chrysler, Honda, and Toyota.  Keeps bodymen working and insurance rates up though.

Back on the original track.  I'm a Cub Scout leader and at Cub Camp last summer, they had this great game where they had a bunch of 1x4s cut into 6" long sections and painted either green or beige.  On the bottom were either a picture of food with a "point" value, a "no food value", a disease, or unfortunate automotive incident.  At first there was 20 kids going in, with only enough food to support 15 and three or four disease or "hit by car".  Those that survived went in again, and if they came out with enough points, "reproduced" allowing one of the formerly "dead" scouts back in.  Then they had a "bad year" and all the beige blocks were removed and only about 10 were allowed to survive.  They then started over, letting 5 scouts be hunters to control the population, and there was a sustainable number.  In about 45 minutes, 20 cub scouts "got it".  Shameless plug: Support scouting.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

Thank You Sponsors!