iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

anyone have a smokehouse?

Started by tmroper, February 21, 2010, 02:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmroper

I have been considering building a smoke house for doing bacon, hams and sausage in has anyone ever built one or have any experience with one?  I should have never looked in this food section now I am hungry. ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Brian_Rhoad

I'm planning on building one this summer.

This site has some plans for smoke houses.

http://www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/abeng/miscplans.htm

tmroper

Thanks guys my wife keeps talking about wanting a smokehouse and my grampa had one when I was young but you know how it is it one of those things I wish I had listened more.

zopi

My current workshop/junk hole is a hundred year old smokehouse..

I'm thinking about building an outhouse with a firebox under it...I don't need much room for a couple of hams at a time.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jim king

Here is as simple as you can get.  The top and bottom are a small weber and the smoking section is a peice of roofing pop riveted together  with rebar passing from side to sid to hang the pork legs or fish on.

The table has a ceramic top and surround around the weber with a big drawer for the tools.

I use brine that floats an egg and every spice I can find.  Pineapple, bananas , coconunts or whatever on the coals give a good flavor.

tmroper

Jeff, That is one really good thread.

Thats kind of what I was thinking of doing building something like the size of an outhouse for a smokehouse.  I found this site and only looked at the sawmilling until recently since I am not much of a cook.  The rule when we are up in cow camp is if you complain about the cooking it is your turn to cook.  One time I was up in cow camp with some older guys and two of them liked to go back and forth all the time complaining the other was cheating at cards or such.  Well one morning one of the guys got up and started the fire in the old wood cook stove and made it to hot by accident.  We got everything all done with our morning chores and came in for breakfast of burnt bacon and biscuits as hard as rocks.  The old grumpy cowboy who was cooking looked at his buddy and said well hows breakfast he looked at him and smiled and said " I think its the best I ever had".

I envy you guys who have all these great tree selections it seems like all we have around here has sap in it for the most part.

woodsteach

Here should be a sketch of one that I built last spring.  It is made of "recycled" metal.

The round part is the insides of an old hot water heater and is the smoke/heat chamber. 
It is on skids so it can be easily moved.

We have only used it for a dozen chickens and they turned out DanG good as we used hickory sticks.

I'll try to get some pix of the smoker later this week

woodsteach

The smoke chamber is about 3'x4'x 3 ' deep and it is about 2' off the ground.

Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!