iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small Farm Today, Columbia, MO, Nov 4-7,04

Started by Bibbyman, October 09, 2003, 06:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Mary and/or I will be at the Small Farm Today show coming up Nov, 6-8 in Columbia, Mo.  It's a national show with the spotlight on small farming.  

link to - Small Farm Today show info in Columbia, MO. Nov, 6-8, 2003

Wood-Mizer will be there.  Normally Baker is there too but I don't see that they have the event listed on their show schedule.  EZ-Welding,  a local bandmill manufacture,  and Keener Built have also shown.

We'll likely be around the Wood-Mizer display just inside the grounds off the parking lot.  

Come on down!   8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Sam

Hey guys!

Just wanted to let you know that Baker will be at the Small Farm Today show. Mike McNail and Bryan Martin are slated to go right now. Be sure to stop by and tell hi!  ;D

Sam

Sam

Bibbyman

I've probably talked with Mike and Bryan at the shows but can't put faces with their names.  I'm sure we'll get around to visiting.

If'n anybody is traveling up and down I70 or US 63 through Missouri anyway,  stop in.  Good place to spend a couple of hours just looking at stuff.

8)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

At the close of the second day,  no Forum members have shown up at the Small Farm Show.  But we've had plenty of old and new friends to visit with.

Wood-Mizer returned this year - front and center - with an LT15 and a LT40HDD42 Super with 42hp Kubota diesel engine.

Here is my latest in a collection of big husky people struggling to crank the LT15.  Well,  you can't see her right hand because she's holding a Wood-Mizer booklet in her left hand. ;)

The sun hadn't burned through the early morning fog when the Wood-Mizer team of Greg Bear and Will Baugh were entertaining for some tough customers.   The temperature was right at freezing.

The crowds never were big as in a forestry show as most of the Small Farm Show displays were inside.  But there were always a few that would brave the cold to see a log sawn and stop in to talk.  This is about 4:00pm and note that the flags are 'popping'.  The temperature never hit 50.

Baker was there with two manual mills and an edger.  Here Tom Stout is working with local Baker mill owner Ronnie Boyce who is trying out an edger.

Tom is using the boom to unload a log.

New to the mix of sawmills this year was Log-Master.   Herman Gibson of Nacogdoches, Texas brought his smallest manual mill to the show.    

But everything is BIGGER in Texas.  Look at the size of the wheels on this otherwise small basic mill.
 :o

The show continues tomorrow so drop in to visit if'n you're in the area.

8) 8)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Bone chilling cold all day.  Hardly above freezing with overcast skies and wind.  

This is about a big as the crowds got so there was plenty of room.  Still lots of good visiting and keen interest by those willing to suffer the cold weather.

Good or bad,  the Baker boys got there this morning to find this horse trailer in their parking spot.  They just parked their big rig between the mills and the street.  Kind of gave them some windbreak.  Still here they were making the sawdust fly on their 18M mill.

Here we are loading up for home.  Will Baugh is helping keep the skidsteer from falling on it's face trying to lift about 150bf of oak.  You can't see Mary on the other side of him helping too. :o
Sawing since '94

Tom

you should have given Mary the camera and crawled up there on the skidsteer with Will.  You know Mary couldn't have been too much help in the 'Ballast catagory. :D

Bibbyman

Oh yea,   Maybe Tom Stout too.  He's a couple'L X's bigger then me.  

With all of us on there, it'd probably flip over backerds! :D
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

I'm recycling this post for 2004.  

It's only a couple of weeks until the Small Farm Show in Columbia, MO.  Nov, 4-7.

Me and lovely Pro-Sawyer Mary will be helping Wood-Mizer again this year.   I don't know who's going to be there from the home office but I'd expect Will Baugh will be there from the Mt. Vernon service center.

I expect to see ol' Tom-in-Mo there too with the Baker mills.

The Small Farm show is quite entertaining with it's variety of displays.

The link to the Small Farm web site at the top of the post still works.

Come on down!
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

I started reading this from the top of the thread and thought ya had the dates all wrong. ;D ;D

Lynette and I plan on being there on sat. the 6th, I will bring my gloves along just incase they need help running that LT40... ;D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Kevin_H.

Now Bibby, surley we are not the only ones going to this show? ::)
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

MULE_MAN

Well I'll be there Friday afternoon , just to make sure Bibby is doing it right  ::) That way Mary can take a break  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Tom_in_Mo.

Well, you guys don't work to hard at Columbia show and maybe it won't be as cold as it was last year. It was so cold that there was a beagle dog that was carring a pair of jumper cables just to jump a rabbit up! :D  
I won't be there this year, but will really miss it, maybe I just go to my brothers to bowhunt and then come by. ;D

Kevin_H.

Hey MULE_MAN, You take care of business on friday and we will pick up the slack on saturday :D

I havn't heard what the weather is going to be yet, but the way things are going i would bet on rain. :(

MULE_MAN

Kevin H

Well I sure hope it doesn't rain Friday , if it does your going to have allot of
slack to take up, Saturday  :),  You never know what the weather is going to do
at this time of the year. ??? but rain is always a good bet !  Hope not !!  ::)

Kevin_H.

:D Sure hope woodmizer has that big tent set up...Ya know what they need to do is set up a blade sharpening display, that way we could all get our blades sharpened while at the show...

MULE_MAN

Now that would be a good ideal !! I know i would bring them some to sharpen !!   ;D

Minnesota_boy

I'll bring mine too, if they're doing it for free.  Last I counted, I had 75 ready to go to resharp.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Bibbyman

I plan to take a couple of boxes with us up to Columbia so Will can take them back to Sidney to sharpen.  I'm not expecting them to sharpen them for free but it saves postage one way at least.

Good oppertunity to pick up new blades and parts.  Again, no shipping charge. ;)
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Early morning was cloudy and windy with a light drizzle.  The drizzle stopped about mid-morning and the sun came out after noon some time.  But the wind just kept building making for an uncomfortable day outdoors.

Kenrod dropped in and visited most of the day.  We talked sawmills, farming and such a good part of the time.  He didn't have anything bad to say about the Wood-Mizer mills.

Here is Greg Bear of Wood-Mizer showing Mary an easier way for someone with short arms to fold blades.

Mary got an overview of the Keaner Built mill from Mr. Keaner.   They brought two mills.  Wood-Mizer has an LT40 Hydraulic,  LT40 manual and an LT15 at the show.  

Traffic was light today and most people bustled on past to get inside the show area rather than hang around the mills that was exposed to the high winds.  Tomorrow should be better and Saturday even better yet with sunshine and highs in the mid-60s predicted.
Sawing since '94

Tom_in_Mo.

Bibbyman sorry that I wasn't able to make the trip. Been kinda busy here as everybody has. Sounds like the weather a bit better than last year.
I guess there is plenty of parking for cars, trucks and HORSETRAILERS.
Sure hate it that you guys are there all alone and there isn't even a shade of BLUE anywhere around.
Hey, are those rakes selling this year, you know the ones they demo in plain ole dirt with no Missouri rocks in it

Well, better go have fun.

Bibbyman

Hi Tom-in-Mo.

The sun was out today and it was a much more pleasant day.  The wind started to pick up in the late afternoon making it a little more uncomfortable but still much better than yesterday.  Tomorrow should be in the lower 70's.

A lot more traffic today and bigger bunches to watch the demos and ask questions.  A lot of mill owners dropped in to say Hi and maybe pick up a box of blades.  

I'm surprised at the number of people had bought very old used WM mills recently and needed parts or help getting them back up and sawing.  All had a story "Grandpa passed away and hid this old mill covered up in his barn.." or "We were driving along and seen this old WM mill setting in a clump of weeds behind this old farm house and we stopped and asked about it...."  I just wonder if fixing and restoring old WM mills will become like restoring classic cars.   Maybe they'll be a WM part section in the J.C. Whitney catalog before to long?

We do miss you.   Mary took the crock pot up and had it filled with a beef soup.  It was just like I like it - about half beef and half soup.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Saturday was much better.  The sun was out all day and it warmed up to the lower 70's.   The attendance was a bit low from previous years but there were plenty of people to visit with.   Talked to many old friends and met many new ones.   I talked to so many people,  I'm about ready to crawl in a hole and not come out until spring!   It was about like a years worth of visiting on the Forestry Forum crammed into three days.

Will Baugh of the WM Mt. Vernon support center and Greg Bear from the home office sawed up over 2,000 bf in demonstration over the three days – probably half on Saturday.  They sawed on the LT40 Hydraulic and LT15.

One thing you don't see every day...  A Stealth Bomber flew low over the fairgrounds.  Something pretty awesome to see at what looked to be about 1,000 feet above ground.   I was so stricken by the sight,  I forgot I had a camera in my pocket.

The four Warthogs flew over and circled a number of times.   I took a couple of pictures of the Warthogs but,  stupid me,  I had the camera zoomed out instead of in.  So all I got were some specs on a sky blue background.  I tried to blow up the image but it was not clear enough.

Then I figured it out.  There was a football game going on in downtown Columbia at the University of Missouri and the Stealth Bomber and Warthogs were doing flyovers.   The game likely accounted from some of the show's lower attendance.  I know there was one woman there looking at the mills very seriously.  Her husband was to join her but he was going to the game first.   I don't think he ever made it to the show.

Sure glad those guys are on our side!

The LT40 manual mill found a new home as did the LT15.  A lot of interest had been shown so I'm sure they'll be a few more sawyers out there within a year.  Looked like Mr. Keener sold one mill also.  

At sundown,  we started picked up our stuff to go home and got home about 8:00pm.   It was only a 14 hour day – a little shorter than Thursday and Friday.   Mr. Baugh and Bear still had a day's work ahead of them.  They had to deliver the LT15 about 75 miles north of Columbia,  come back and pack up the tent and such and then drive home.  About a five hour drive to Mt. Vernon for Will Baugh and probably a hard 8 hours to Indianapolis for Greg Bear.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!