iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rough Start to the day

Started by Bobus2003, February 17, 2010, 06:28:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobus2003

Well second drag of the day, was trying to pull around a Corner Using a tree to Piviot the drag As i came around the tree my winch Brake slipped so i strung out 10" or so of Mainline.. Stopped and started winching in and The skidder started to squat on a Low rear tire (Left rear has a slow leak) I felt the front get light, tried to stop the winch, but didn't catch it in time and it pulled itself over.. As it fell over i shut it down and adjusted myself in the cab as to not get hurt.. I used the 1845C Case to right it, but now am fixing broken Motor Mount bolts on the front of the engine

Reddog

Ouch to the pride.
No one got hurt so that is good. :)

I put a big Clark grapple on it's side moving a deck of logs. It can happen real quick. ;)

Sprucegum

:( Dang Gravity, eh   :(

I had a dog used to lay around like that  ::)

Mark K

Least ya got it shut down and didn't get hurt. Coulda been worse, I think we all have them days. :-[
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

KyMasterLogger

now would be a good time to grease anything accessed from the bottom..  ;D

all joking aside, glad you didnt get hurt.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures. Not every guy would be man enough to admit to that   smiley_rainbow_colors  smiley_thumbsup

Glad you didn't get hurt and the machine will be OK. Fix that bad tire after the motor mounts  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

gunman63

looks like a awful sharp pivot  with that small of skidder

Bobus2003

Yeah it is a Tight turn.. Should have known better than to do it Over and Over.. But it worked for the last 20+ Drags, so what would be different? About that time you'll get shown what can be different

LOGDOG

Glad you're ok. I did that once only in a Tree Farmer forwarder with about 3/4 of a load on her. That was ugly- all splayed out on the hillside. One of the scariest rides of my life. Just braced myself in the cab and rode it out.  :o

LOGDOG

tlandrum

unfortunately been there rolled that, put my 667 on its side once had to use the 450 loader to set it back upright
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

Black_Bear

My old boss would see you walking out of the woods and the first thing he'd ask you is if the skidder was OK. Usually it wasn't. But, you were alive!

That looks like nice ground, wanna lend us some of it?

forest.c

I almost done that got a s8 International half way over before I released the winch 8)
forest.c

Bobus2003

Quote from: Black_Bear on February 17, 2010, 09:32:02 PM
My old boss would see you walking out of the woods and the first thing he'd ask you is if the skidder was OK. Usually it wasn't. But, you were alive!

That looks like nice ground, wanna lend us some of it?

The Ground is hit or miss.. There are places its relativly flat, and others is Incredibly steep and rocky.. So it makes Cutting and Skidding exciting 8)

OneWithWood

Gad you are OK.

Tomorrow will be better  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Twig farmer

I'm glad to hear you are not hurt.

I always run my Twig Farmer winch by the clutch...Meaning I don't rely on the winch leaver to stop the winch, I use the clutch to stop the winch drive.
In my experience, it's instinctive to hit the clutch in a panic, but the winch not so much..
Also, my winch, under a serious load, will not stop winching when I release the lever...don't know just why...so I trained myself to use the clutch..
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

Chuck White

That had to be scarry!
Just glad nobody was hurt and only minimal equipment damage!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

not trying to be a smart a.... but skidders don't look anywhere near as impressive rolled over :D

anyway glad it wasn't worse
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bobus2003

Quote from: Twig farmer on February 18, 2010, 05:08:57 PM
I'm glad to hear you are not hurt.

I always run my Twig Farmer winch by the clutch...Meaning I don't rely on the winch leaver to stop the winch, I use the clutch to stop the winch drive.
In my experience, it's instinctive to hit the clutch in a panic, but the winch not so much..
Also, my winch, under a serious load, will not stop winching when I release the lever...don't know just why...so I trained myself to use the clutch..

The JD440 will still winch with the clutch depressed, It has a Live PTO to the winch.. Can only stop it with the Winch control or dis-engage the PTO

Frickman

I'm glad noone got hurt. They sell new motor mounts but not new people.

I layed my Tree Farmer forwarder over once, had it almost upside down. Noone got hurt so that was good. My buddy came out to help me right it with my skidder, but before we did I greased everything I could reach and fixed a few small things that were annoying me but were unhandy to fix with the machine on its wheels. He still laughs about that to this day.

I've had my John Deere skidder up on three wheels dozens of times, but no matter how many times I do I still get uneasy about it. The little Deere skidders are notoriously easy to roll so I try to be real careful.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Thank You Sponsors!