iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging arch build question

Started by 9shooter, February 17, 2010, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9shooter

I'm looking to build a logging arch and have a choice of 2 different sizes of steel. I found a 6x8 tube with 3/8 wall and a 6" diameter pipe with 5/16 wall and wonder if one would work better than the other. Or I could use both with the arch built from the rectangle steel and the top bar from the tube. What do you do-it-yourselfer folks think? I usually over build things but I don't have experience with logging arches. I am thinking about making it big enough to pick a 40" log if necessary.  I still am not decided on weather to make a winch type or a bar type lift. I like the bar type lift but want to go over the road with logs and am afraid there will not be enough head room to carry a 16' log if necessary. I usually cut most logs to 8-12 ft.
Earth First! We'll log the other planet's later!

Dakota

I think the tube would be easier to fit and weld.  Here is a picture of an arch I built using 4" tube.

Dakota
Dave Rinker

wewacountryboy

Dakota

That is a nice looking logging arch. I have always worried that pulling logs with a 4-wheeler is a little much on the unit. Do you have any problems pulling with yours
Jonathan Hanson

Dakota

My four wheeler is kind of a utility vehicle.  It is 4x4 all the time with a lower ratio gear box.  It's kind of like a little tractor.  I've been pulling logs out of the timber with it now for 9 years with no problems yet.  If I have to move any big logs, I do it with a little axel on the end of the log.  Caution, do this only on mostly level ground.

Dave Rinker

Thank You Sponsors!