iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

rookie needs a quick schooling

Started by woeboy, February 17, 2010, 11:56:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woeboy

hey guys, I have a potential customer that said " this project involes A - Z lumber production". This may be a common phrase , but this may be my first job and I have no clue about the terminology and common phrases.
Can someone please explain this phrase to me and possably if there is a webpage or  previous thread that lists some terminology ???

thanks for all the help
jason

Jeff

If there was a list, I don't think it would list that. Sounds like its something that exists only in that fellow's thought process.  All I can figure is it means "We start here and finish there"

That being said, maybe we should make a project out of creating a saw-milling glossary.   
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

sgschwend

Means all inclusive.

An area I still feel like I could do better:
The conversation with the customer is a very important part of setting up any job.  You find out what the customer needs and you explain how you will meet that need and the price for that service.  It may be an iterative process, but at some point you have come up with the solution the customer needs.  When the customer agrees you have a job.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

fishpharmer

woeboy, I would be inclined to think that phrase would mean felling to stacking.  I sure don't have experience in that area, but would make sure I knew before accepting the job. Only one way to know for sure, ask the fella to clarify.  I've heard many folks on here say communications are the key to customer satisfaction.

Jeff, a saw milling glossary would be an excellent idea. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Mr Mom

Sounds like the person wants you to start with falling trees and finish with flooring and trim and so on.
In other words the whole nine yards.
I could be wrong.

Thanks Alot Mr Mom

captain_crunch

I also am a Rookie but from my expericances this means he may expect you to be able to Walk on Water also :) :) Hopefully you won't have to furnish the trees too :D. From doing other kinds of custom work Everyone not being clear on what is expected causes Long Standing Fueds >:( >:(
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

I don't think it is a common phrase.
It might be a catch-all comment to cover for not being able to explain the job further.  We hear such cover-up phrases a lot now.  ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ely

like was stated before. keep talking with them and gain clarification.

sigidi

Jason, as many other have said, I'd take " this project involes A - Z lumber production" would mean they are going to be doing everything from felling, harvesting, milling, drying, dressing blah blah blah with the timber they are using.

I'd be inclined to be asking him what role he wants you to play in the production. As an example if you are the sawyer, then the price will be x, but if he wants you to be the feller, snigger, mill labor, sawyer and more, then the price would have to be XXXXX Last thing you want is for your first job to leave a bad taste in your mouth, if maybe you are taken advantage of and where too well mannered to ask what the specifics will be.
Always willing to help - Allan

sdunston

Quote from: woeboy on February 17, 2010, 11:56:42 AM
hey guys, I have a potential customer that said " this project involes A - Z lumber production". This may be a common phrase , but this may be my first job and I have no clue about the terminology and common phrases.
Can someone please explain this phrase to me and possably if there is a webpage or  previous thread that lists some terminology ???

thanks for all the help
jason
The answere to that phrase would be (this is what I can do and this is what it is going to cost)
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Ron Wenrich

Sigidi

I've never heard the term "snigger".  Is that an Aussie term?  What's a snigger do? 

A glossary would be fine, but it seems that you would have to include the area that its used in.  The snigger is one example.  I'm sure that every area has their own vocabulary. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!