iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

needing some new 50cc saws.

Started by STIHLFULLSKIP, February 17, 2010, 11:39:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STIHLFULLSKIP

im needing some honest input here,we are needing to purchase some new 50cc pro saws. i love my 260pro's,but i think i may try a different model.i don't know how long til ms261's are available,i think they will be good saws,but i also think there are some other models that are just as good,if not better. my choices will be husky346xp,echo cs530,or the old ms260pro.based on the luck we are having w/our cs600 echos',im inclined to try some cs530s'.but i would deffinately like some input here.we will be buying 4-5 saws within the next 2-3 weeks.

Rocky_J

346xp, for sure. I'm quite particular in my saw choices and there only a few saws I'm willing to pick from, but the 346 is one of Husky's best models and my favorite in that size.  8)

nmurph

the 346 kicks everything else in this class in the butt. it's much the same as the 200 is the hands-down best in-the-air saw. it's really not up for debate. do some research and you will see the love that 346 owners have, and many were former 260 users.

RSteiner

I like my Dolmar PS5100 which is in that class. 

Second choice would be the Husky 357xp.

Randy
Randy

STIHLFULLSKIP

i have a husky sales man near by,i believe i need to pay him a visit. do you guys believe the build quality of the husky is on par with stihl?

Cut4fun

With the 50cc Husky 346 I just dont see a reason for the 56.5cc 357xp. I sold my 357 and bought 2 new 50cc 346's.

fuzzybear

I've been running an MS270 for about 6 months now and I am very impressed with it. It is a 50 cc saw with a 20" bar .325 skip tooth chain.
  It rips through 18" paper birch without even grunting.
  Just thought I would throw it into the mix.
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Rocky_J

Quote from: STIHLFULLSKIP on February 17, 2010, 12:24:30 PM
i have a husky sales man near by,i believe i need to pay him a visit. do you guys believe the build quality of the husky is on par with stihl?

I've mentioned it before, but I refuse to use such broad generalizations that "x" brand has a certain level of quality. All the major brands have multiple levels of build quality among various models aimed at different customer demographics. Stihl has some pretty crappy saws as well as some of the best on the market. Which ones would you like me to use for this comparison?

Anyway, to get back on topic, Husky has some pro models which are among the best saws on the market. My personal favorites are the 346xp, the 372xp and the 395xp. I believe these three models to be the best saws built by Husqvarna. I can't tell you about the homeowner lines, just as I cannot tell you much about Stihl's homeowner lines. I don't use homeowner saws. But they compare well with Stihl's best models, which in my opinion are the 200T, 361, 460 and 660. Husqvarna also sells an awful lot of saws that I would never own. I currently own 8 Huskys and 4 Stihls, all pro models.

The 346xp is still the best saw in the 50cc category IMO.

oakwood productions

Rocky is right. The best saws built by Husqvarna are the 346xp, 372xp, and the 395xp. I would buy another 346xp without any hesitation.

Cut4fun

Rocky is any of your 346's the new 50cc ones yet? 

Rocky_J

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 17, 2010, 06:33:50 PM
Rocky is any of your 346's the new 50cc ones yet? 
Incoming PM, I don't want to derail this thread.  :)

STIHLFULLSKIP

do the new e-tech(CAT) models still run good? i am told that is all that is available in my area. i guessing this is what the green fuel cap indicates? i know nothing about husky,learning more about echo every day. till a few weeks ago only ever used/owned stihl saws.

Cut4fun

PM sent back Rocky   ;).

Just get the non-epa non-cat muffler and re-tune carb to it, about $38. Only from what I have heard, because i wont run a cat muffler, is they will run hotter and way down on power compared to the non-cat muffler ones.
I just bought another 346 Sat and still was non-cat models here.

What area?

Rocky_J

I had one catalytic muffler saw and it ran so hot that it melted the top shroud and even began melting the chain brake handle. Heat destroys motors so I donned my protective gear and gutted the muffler to let the heat out.

I hesitate in recommending any saw these days because EVERY SINGLE SAW on the market today needs to be modified right off the bat in order to keep it from self destructing thanks to emissions requirements. I forget that most users here aren't comfortable removing the limiter caps and tuning the carb properly, never mind opening the muffler so the saw won't burn up. The Echos are so lean and the mufflers are so plugged up that they hardly run after 8-10 tanks of fuel unless you open them up and then retune the carb.

I haven't run a purely stock saw in 7 years. To me, opening the muffler is just something you do to every new saw before you bother firing it up, just like taking off all the Spanish warning stickers telling me how to open the gas cap and to read the manual before operating the saw. If you plan on running the saw exactly as it comes from the dealer with the catalytic muffler and ultra lean carb settings, then I can't help you much. The saw will self destruct at an early age and you will never get the full performance from it.

JohnG28

Yes, the models with the green gas caps are the etech saws
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

STIHLFULLSKIP

i pull all my limit caps to tune my saws,that doesn't bother me much. i know the muffler modded saws run better,i just can't live with the added noise 8/10hrs a day.i do agree that any new saw wont live long at oem settings. i have known guys to burn down a ms460/660 in less than 6 mos.and then the dealer not stand behind the saw,which is still under warranty.

tbrickner

Sorry for my ignorance but why is there such a price difference between the Dolmar 5100 and he Husqvarna 346XP. I can't see the Husqvarna outperforming the specs of the Dolmar 5100 in Hp or speed.

Now I acknowledge I am a green-horn when it comes to saws and have never run either saw. 

Can anyone explain the real difference between the two.  Because I am also looking for a light weight low end 50cc saw and was headed towards the Dolmar but may need to rethink this.  I have a Dolmar distributor and Husqvarna distributor which have both been in business for over 30 years and seem to know both saws pretty well. I hope someone can help me out and explain the difference between the two.

Thanks,
Tom

STIHLFULLSKIP

dont know anyting about the 346xp,other than what i have read.have a dolmar dealer close by,he sure works on alot of 5100's.but again i see alot of guys burning them down,dealer wont pull limit caps.put the saw in the right situation,and it cooks it.all saws are set lean oem,but 5100's seem to be set way lean. i ddont think that makes them a bad saw,and they are diffinately priced right. 399.00

Rocky_J

I've heard the Dolmars are great saws, but since Makita bought them out there is almost no dealer support. According to the gossip there are only two models worth owning, and those are the two newest models. The 5100 and the 7900. I've had about 30 minutes run time on each and both seem to be decent saws. I don't particularly like the feel of the 5100 handle but that's a personal preference. I would avoid the other older models as parts support is limited and the saws aren't anything spectacular anyway.

They also have the 6400 and 7300, but they are simply the 7900 with smaller jugs and pistons. The model number also indicates the displacement.

If you have a Dolmar dealer nearby and want to try them, go for it. Can't go wrong for the price. Maybe get a couple Husky 346 as well and let your crews try them both out.

tbrickner

My Dolmar Dealer has been dealing wth Dolmar for a long time like the 510's and knows the good and bad points about them.  I also like the feel of the husqvarnas.  For me it is a tough decision but I really am having trouble resisting the Dolmar price even thought that Husky model has a great reputation.

STIHLFULLSKIP

if he is a good dealer,and will stand behind you,then it sounds like the 510 would be a good choice.have you given the cs530 echo any thought at 399.00?

nmurph

the 346 is lighter, zippier and handles better as compared to the 5100. i have run a 5100 for several hours and i was not impressed by the way it felt in my hands, and this comes from someone who owns 3-7900's, a 34, a 540, a dollie hedgetrimmer and i just picked up a 510 that needs a piston and rings.

strongsaw

Hi, I'm new here. If you have any interest in Efco saws you might check out Amazon.com. They have Cub Cadet 5220 (Efco 152) 52 cc for $270 and Cub Cadet 5720 (Efco 156) 56.5 cc for $300 and free shipping. I believe these are the same saws Efco made for John Deere. I'm told parts are available from efco dealers and JD dealers. Efco seems to be gaining market share in US. They are the #3 top seller in Europe. There is a dealer on every corner in the UK. My friend was set to buy a 4+ hp Stihl but tried my CC 5720, liked it and ordered one for himself. I sure like mine, especially for the price. Efco saws are available from several on line dealers.

Rocky_J

567paloggger

i own both the 346xp and the dolmar 5100s i like both of them but for the 70 dollar difference go with the husky my opinion

Thank You Sponsors!