iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Temp sensor inside outdoor furnace

Started by doctorb, February 16, 2010, 05:31:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doctorb

Would a temperature sensor inside your outdoor furnace provide useful info?  I am not talking about water temp, but firebox temp.  Many people want to know if gasification is occuring.  A temperature reading within the "reaction chamber" could tell you if the process was producing the expected heat.  Would it be useful to non-gasification burners as well? Is this offered on any OWHH on the market?  Your thoughts.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

MudBud

Doctor, yes one in the firebox and one just heading into the reaction chamber.

doctorb

On another more recent thread, Golfstove says that his new (1 month) E-Classic has a "chamber" temperature reading.  Anyone else know anything about this?  Can it be retrofit to older E-Classic models?

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Dean186

Yes, it would be useful and they have added that feature in the new E-Classic 2300 and it is part of the original design in the E-Classic 1400.

Burning pine, I find the reaction chamber temperature reading at around 200 degrees when the furnace is idling and between 500 and 1200 degrees when unit calls for heat.  The reaction chamber temperature is higher when it goes into high burn mode. 

The new Firestar controller has indicator lights for low burn and high burn mode and the reaction chamber temperature can be monitored from the panel.  See photos:

Dean

The above photo is the reaction chamber of my E-Classic 1400.  The temperature sensor probe can be seen in the upper right portion of the photo.

In the photo above the display is showing a reaction chamber temperature of 959 degrees and it is operating in high burn mode.

doctorb

Golfstove

Dean is right on. This temp gauge regulates the low/ high burn cycle. Above 750 high burn, below low burn. Idling around 200, gasification 600 or above, High burn with good coals  and hedge I have seen it get up to 1800 but not for long. 958 would be heating the water up quite fast I would say. The key for efficiency comes when it goes back down to idle( around 200), drops below set water temp (175) and calls for heat. This is when you see how fast it can get back up to water temp. Often our stove water temp keeps falling for a while before it slowly works its way back to 185. I feel we are losing lots of heat during this process. It is likely wood, load, etc. My goal is to make this process as fast as possible. Later in the I am planning on messing with the water temp as advised in other thread ( extending run times).

The thermocouple was loose on our model when it arrived, so I did learn about the thermometer right away. Without it our stove never went to low burn, controller told stove to keep air on full blast. We were flying through wood. Not sure about retro fitting, you would probably have to get a whole new controller, i would guess. But I would not see why you couldn't implement it into your stove.

Thank You Sponsors!