iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer-28

Started by wannasaw, February 15, 2010, 08:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POC

I'll think about the log deck package.  I still don't know that I *need* it.  I want to be able to cut 20' lumber, as I think that is a nice round number (????).  I don't know why I want to cut that size.  Actually, I know most of the mills around here don't cut that long, and that would be a specialty I could offer.

My thoughts on the deck package; what I know of milling is watching my dad and granddad run his big old circle mill, and it didn't have no "fancy" things like a turner.  They just used a cant hook to flip them.  He did have one neat thing that I've not seen others have.  Most round mills here have a "chain paddle" type sawdust removal system.  My granddad had a huge blower that blew the sawdust out, across the mill, across the loading road into a great big pile.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Busy Beaver Lumber

Wannasaw

I owned a 1999 LT-25 for several years which is very similar to the LT-28 and loved it. It was just had much larger capacity than what I needed and took up quite a bit or room in my building. Also I seldom had the need to take it on the road, so I opted to downsize to an LT-10 which I will be picking up in Indy at the end of March. You will not go wrong with the LT-28 and certainly not at that price. The cantalever head design is great and moves through the log with easy. I only have about 30% use of my left arm due to an auto accident and was still able to easily crank it down the rails using that arm. In fact you could turn the crank to move the head down the rails by just grabbing it with the tips of two fingers. That is how little pressure it took to turn the crank and make it move. Even my wife cut wood with it and enjoyed doing it and I often struggled to get her away from it and let me make some sawdust.

Personally, I think what woodmizer is doing is very smart. They know this is a tough economy and they have lowered their prices across the board to be more competitive with their competition and generate more sales to keep the factory at full capacity. At one time you might have priced out a competitors mill and said to yourself "If I buy this one I can save XXX amount of bucks instead of buying the woodmizer version" but now they have reduced them by XXX bucks and their is no reason to settle for anything less than the worlds number one manufacturer of portable sawmills, not to mention the 2 year warranty they added as well and 2% discount they give to existing customers and a large number of service centers and field service reps across the nation that are just a phone call away and know what they are talking about. With many other companies, you either get a phone answering machine or send them emails that are never answered. When I was looking at mills a few years back, I placed 5 calls and sent 3 emails to one manufacturer down south (who I will spare the embarrasment of naming) and never got a single response. If that is the type of customer support you get when you are trying to make a purchase, God help you when you need a unique spare part from them.

When I ordered my LT-10 a week ago, I asked how long it would take to get it. My salesman told me that before they started the new sales campaign, they would usually have 3 or 4 of them on hand that could be picked up the same day, but now they are experiencing a few weeks back log due to the popularity of the sales, so their stategy must be working.

Bibbyman

If it is any consolation to you, I sold the 1999 LT-25 with 20 used and 5 new blades two weeks ago for $7300. I was honest with the fellow who came and bought it and told him he could get an new LT-28 for about $2700 more, but he said he did not want to spend that much and this one was within his budget and in very nice shape.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Magicman

Quote from: Busy Beaver Lumber on February 17, 2010, 09:58:03 PM
but he said he did not want to spend that much and this one was within his budget and in very nice shape. 

And, you made two people happy..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

POC, go with the LDP(log deck package)its worth the little extra, I did not go for the added length as 16' is as long as I want to handle
Sam
I thought that all LT-28's cut 21 feet and that no extensions were available for this model.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

MartyParsons

LT28 has 21' cutting length and 32" diameter. I have never seen a extension on a LT28 but there should be no reason it would not work. The frame is the same as the LT40. 6' 12' or 24' can be added.
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

ForestMan

I just purchased the LT10 at the new sale price of $2995.  I upgraded the engine to 10hp from 7. 

If I had the money, I would have gone for the LT28.  I would have loved the trailer package.  I may still get one when my operation can afford it.  And I won't sell my LT10, I'll just run two saws side-by-side to increase production (I have a partner).

I looked at many other mills as well.  Norwood would have been my second choice, but Woodmizer sold me on reputation.
There is nothing like the natural beauty of wood.

Bibbyman

One way to up production on the LT10 and 15 would be to get more sections and load two logs.  This way you can be making a cut on one log while the helper is turning the other or stacking flitches to be edged, etc.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

jrkimroxie

What brand, model,and series 18 hp engine comes on this sale for $9999
Loving life 1 log at a time !!!!

Bibbyman

Quote from: jrkimroxie on February 18, 2010, 08:56:37 PM

It sure looks like a Kohler in the pictures but be sure and ask.

Oh yea,  one other thing to be sure and get.  Well,  make that two..  Get a couple of LogRite cant hooks!  I'd recomend a 36" mill special and a 60". 
Sawing since '94

Brucer

Quote from: John S on February 18, 2010, 07:30:17 AM
I thought that all LT-28's cut 21 feet and that no extensions were available for this model.
John

Up until last year no extensions were available for the LT28 (according to the catalogue). My 2010 price list says that extensions can now be used with it, but a special bracket is required.

Quote from: Bibbyman on February 19, 2010, 01:29:57 PM
It sure looks like a Kohler in the pictures but be sure and ask.

The 2010 price list shows the engine options for the LT28 as 18 HP Kohler and 25 HP Kohler, plus a new option -- an 18 HP diesel.

You won't be getting a diesel for that price  ;D.

When I had my manual LT40, the 30" Logrite mill special was my favourite accessory.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Bibbyman

Quote from: Brucer on February 19, 2010, 05:27:16 PM

When I had my manual LT40, the 30" Logrite mill special was my favourite accessory.

We have two 30", one 36" and a 60".  You'll use the 30" or 36" 9 times out of 10.  But you'll sometimes need a longer one.
Sawing since '94

Wallys World

My wife and I are about 99% sure we are going to order a LT28 on Monday. I added the 25 horse engine and the log deck package. Our LT15 with a bed extension and the WM trailer kit will soon be up for sale. Th2 LT28 is a great bang for your buck!
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Jasperfield

Is Wood-Mizer going to have an LT28D18 on demonstration anywhere
during the "sale period"?

I'd like to see it.

Jasperfield

Bibbyman

Here is a link to their show schedual.

http://www.woodmizer.com/us/showEvents.aspx

But a call to Wood-Mizer may get you connected to an owner of an LT28 in your area or can tell you if you're nearest WM support center has one to show you.
Sawing since '94

POC

You can demo a mill in Indy, call them a day or two ahead of time.  Regional dealers might do this too.  Give them a call.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Jasperfield

Thanks, Bibby,

I have closely and consistently tracked WM (the products & prices) for the past four years. I have literally traveled the country to attend specific forestry shows to speak with WM's people.

You, Bibby, stood with me at Cape Girardeau while I chewed your ear about WM's need of an air-cooled diesel 28. We were standing under the edge of the WM tent early Friday afternoon.

I've seen the 28's. This January when they put the diesel 28 on the market I couldn't help but think it was, in some part, because I'd spoken with every WM person I could find about offering a small air-cooled diesel. I pestered Bill Laham about it so many times that I was almost ashamed to call him.

During November (I think) I went again to the GA open house and asked about the lack of a diesel 28. Well...they showed me one that they had in stock; but it was for export, only. It has (I suppose) since left the country. It was an air-cooled (19hp) LT28.

I whined, moaned and complained, as I had done for two years to WM at all levels, yet no relief. (They wanted to sell one of these mills to me but could not because of the EPA prohibition) Wood-Mizer helped me as much as they could. They bent over backward to help. I even called Marty Parsons. He was a big help, as he determined and transmitted to me the weight of the 18hp diesel. However it is water-cooled.

Well, I gave up on it and bought an LT40HDG28 on the last day of the year because I couldn't get an LT28D18 during tax year 2009 (which I needed to do). It wouldn't be available for sale in the US until after 01-01-2010.

Now...they not only offer the diesel...but they have the LT28 on sale.

I'll tell you, what: This diesel offering is a big thing. It's been a long time coming. The LT28 is more mill than the price indicates. Gas or diesel.

Jasperfield

Bibbyman

Quote from: Jasperfield on February 20, 2010, 12:50:01 AM
You, Bibby, stood with me at Cape Girardeau while I chewed your ear about WM's need of an air-cooled diesel 28. We were standing under the edge of the WM tent early Friday afternoon.

Hotest couple of days of the year and the hotest place you could find to be outside.!

Have you talked to WM about a trade?
Sawing since '94

sdunston

I have a LT28G25 and love it. I also have many peaces of equpt, With diesel's that are air and water cooled. Myself I would not even think of a small air cooled diesel on a mill,1-the noise,2-no way to pre-heat for winter use,3-They will vibrate until your hands are numb. For some reason it takes at least a 3cyl diesel to have them run smooth and with a water jacket around them it tends to block alot of the diesel noise. Just my 2 cents
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Jasperfield

No. I'm going to keep what I've got. I'm happy with it.

fishpharmer

Quote from: jrkimroxie on February 18, 2010, 08:56:37 PM

I am no expert on these things so take it for what its worth.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 18 hp LT28 if that fits your budget better.  The reason I say this if because I just slabbed a big 32 inch southern yellow pine log with my homemade mill powered by an 18 hp gas engine.

The slabs.

The tape.

18 hp v twin did it all.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

But James, you also had some "John Deere" green and yellow on yours.  That amounts to at least 5 more hp..... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Quote from: Magicman on February 21, 2010, 04:32:47 PM
But James, you also had some "John Deere" green and yellow on yours.  That amounts to at least 5 more hp..... :)

Maybe not, but it makes me feel better. ;D  I think some new Woodmizer paint would have the same affect. ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

MartyParsons

I recieved an email today. I was to get this on Feb 4th not the Feb 22

Correction to the message below...This is a 3 MONTH promo with EXPIRATION April 30, 2010.   

Sorry.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Piston

Quote from: sdunston on February 20, 2010, 07:45:14 AM
I have a LT28G25 and love it. I also have many peaces of equpt, With diesel's that are air and water cooled. Myself I would not even think of a small air cooled diesel on a mill,1-the noise,2-no way to pre-heat for winter use,3-They will vibrate until your hands are numb. For some reason it takes at least a 3cyl diesel to have them run smooth and with a water jacket around them it tends to block alot of the diesel noise. Just my 2 cents
Sam

Just for the record, a friend and I have an LT15 with diesel and absolutely love it.  I have to admit I have never ran a gas powered mill so I can't compare it.  I do really like the diesel, as for the noise, I always wear ear protection so it doesn't bother me, maybe you don't need ear protection with a gas mill but I would probably still use it.  And as for the vibration, up until this post I never thought of it, so that must mean there really isn't any, at least that I notice.  As far as the cold starting, we've used it in fairly cold weather (cold enough that the water jug froze because we forgot to put windshield washer in it) and it started like a dream.  Sure you get the diesel clatter at idle but that doesn't bother me. 
This is also a small air cooled deisel so the larger ones may be a lot worse, can't say.  But with the addition of a diesel option on the LT28, I am really interested in upgrading.  I do wanna make sure you can put an extension on it though.

I imagine at super cold temperatures (below 0F) it would definately be harder to start, as well as louder.  I have to admit I like diesels though so I'm biased. 
Sorry, just had to stick up for the lil diesel engine...  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Thank You Sponsors!