iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

woodmizer-28

Started by wannasaw, February 15, 2010, 08:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannasaw

considering buying while on sale any sug?other brands?
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Tom

Woodmizer is definitely a good choice, as would be saws from the other sponsers of this board.  Check out Cook, Norwood and Baker too. 

If you come up with some specific questions, i'm sure that the owners of these saws will be more than happy to tell you what they think.  :)

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

wannasaw

i was wondering about other brands because of the cantilever design of the mizer. Is there really any difference between the designs. we will be sawing mostly SYP and some white oak and other like cypress when available most logs should be in the 12 to 24 dia.
LT28 70something Int'l Backhoe loader  Kubota L285, Husky 55, F-250 7.3, 12'x6' single axle trailer, Kubota RTV900 w/remote hyd. Iron will...

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!  8)

The LT28 is essentially the same mill and maybe better in some ways than the LT40G18 we started with in 1994.  And we paid more for our new mill then than the price they're asking now!  

Now many times will you find a better product sale for less than it did 16 years ago?  

Quote from: wannasaw on February 15, 2010, 09:06:15 PM
i was wondering about other brands because of the cantilever design of the mizer. Is there really any difference between the designs. 

The only people that complain about the cantilever head design is the salesmen of four post mills.  ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

wannasaw

that's kind of the way I had it figured about the design because it's hard to sell an inferior product so for as long as woodmizer. it's nice to know the history of the co. you intend to buy from. we were not going to buy a saw but someone locally had a LT40 for sale locally for 7000$. we knew that was a deal and before sale he decided to keep. but anyway our personal needs will make it worth it if we never make a dime.

wannasaw

Thanks Bibbyman for the input. Ialso have questions about fencing. One of our proposed projects is decorative wood fencing about 1500 LF. How would we treat the post to stop ground rot.

Bibbyman

Quote from: wannasaw on February 15, 2010, 09:26:51 PM
that's kind of the way I had it figured about the design because it's hard to sell an inferior product so for as long as woodmizer. it's nice to know the history of the co. you intend to buy from. we were not going to buy a saw but someone locally had a LT40 for sale locally for 7000$. we knew that was a deal and before sale he decided to keep. but anyway our personal needs will make it worth it if we never make a dime.

That price is going to make it tough on used mills of nearly the same specs.  A couple grand more and get a new mill with warrantee...

Watch out... we started out with that idea.  If you have your own sawing to do.. do it before you let anyone else know you have a mill.  Also...  It quickly grew into enough of a part-time busisness that Mary quit her day job!  ::)  

Quote from: wannasaw on February 15, 2010, 09:33:03 PM
Thanks Bibbyman for the input. Ialso have questions about fencing. One of our proposed projects is decorative wood fencing about 1500 LF. How would we treat the post to stop ground rot.

What kind of wood would the posts be made of?  I wouldn't think cypress would need anything.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

I'm with Bibby, folks who bad mouth the cantilever head have never run one...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

wannasaw

I was under the impression that cypress would rot in ground. Most of our land has pine so that would be the economic choice for the posts.

pineywoods

Quote from: wannasaw on February 15, 2010, 09:51:23 PM
I was under the impression that cypress would rot in ground. Most of our land has pine so that would be the economic choice for the posts.

The sap wood of cypress will rot quickly, even above ground. Heartwood will last a long time.. Pine...unless it's pressure treated, don't even bother.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

wannasaw

OK I see I have so many things to learn. Thanks to all for the input. Got work tomorrow. Pulp Mill. seems like I would know more about wood but I'm on the mech. end. Ilook forward to getting a saw and getting edumacated in all things wood. I rebuilt this turn of the century house we live in using a local sawyer and hardware both. It had a breeze way and all and will try to post some pics of that later until I actually start sawing. Thanks all, Wannasaw

POC

I'm also interested in the LT-28.  I was looking at the LT-15.  But with the decrease in price of the 28, and the options of the toe boards, I think I'm going with the 28.  Not to mention that the financing for the 15 is 24 months, and 48 for the 28; so the monthly payment is actually lower on the 28.
Thanks for the info guys.
POC
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Don K

Not knocking the 15, I learned to saw on one, but you will love the trailering capability.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Magicman

First,  Welcome to The Forestry Forum.   Congratulations on your mill decision.

Black Locust is your "go to" wood for post.  Pressure treated would be next.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mo

Magicman

At that price, all that I can say is .....Wow !!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

John S

I don't get it ... the price.  I have an LT-15 and might upgrade if the price was right, but I don't see it here.
John
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

HOGFARMER

At the promotional price it looks like a very good deal.  I wonder if you bought it and added your own hydraulics if you would not come up with a lot of mill on a small investment.  Has anyone added their own hydraulics to an LT-28?
Manual LT-30

fishpharmer

I think woodbowl and pineywoods have added hydraulics to manual lt40's.  Same frame as lt28 so it should work. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Bibbyman

The bad thing about the new price on the LT28 is that it makes it hard to sell a used mill.  I just had two retired brothers stop in with some cedar logs to saw.  They got into talking about our WM mill.  They said they'd seen the LT28 was on sale and was considering buying one.  We talked about in and I showed them our mill that they hadn't taken much note of before.  I told them of a used mill in the area.  They'd already looked at it.  The guy wanted $8,000 for it.  Said last fall he wanted $9,000 for it.  They had heard he paid $10,000 for it.  I don't know if they'll buy a mill or not but they were leaning on getting the new LT28 instead the used one.  Besides being used, it didn't have power feed.
Sawing since '94

sdunston

I got my lt28 back in september, I am very happy with it and would highly recomend anyone interested jump on this deal it alot of mill for the money
I am going to the NYS Farm show next week and I am sure WM will sell a few there :)Hopefully not to any of my lumber buyers ;D
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

pineywoods

Quote from: HOGFARMER on February 17, 2010, 02:34:21 PM
At the promotional price it looks like a very good deal.  I wonder if you bought it and added your own hydraulics if you would not come up with a lot of mill on a small investment.  Has anyone added their own hydraulics to an LT-28?

Hogfarmer I have added hydraulics to 3 LT40's. Log turner, log clamp, toe roller, and power backstops. New materials to do it under a grand...Didn't add a loader, have forks on a tractor. Power is 110 volt ac, not 12 volt like woodmizer.

look here

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,39860.msg573196.html#msg573196

POC

Did you go with the log bed package or no?
I'm thinking that I'm going to put an overhead beam and hoist in the shed.  So the turner wouldn't really be super important.  The location of the winch seems kinda "out of the way", I've got my tractor with FEL and backhoe that I'm going to be using too.

The toeboards is the only thing I can think of that I may need.  But heck, a wood glut would be as handy.
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

sdunston

POC, go with the LDP(log deck package)its worth the little extra, I did not go for the added length as 16' is as long as I want to handle
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Bibbyman

One thing I would add is the optional 25hp engine for another $500.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!