iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS460 Bar Getting Hot

Started by Mark M, October 08, 2003, 10:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark M

I am a little baffled by a problem I am having with my Stihl 460. The bar and chain are getting very hot, hot enough that it smokes heavily when cutting. I am sure the problem is lube related oil but here is what I've done and I can't find the problem.

Here is I've done and what I have observed:

Checked oil level, it is going down and there is still some left in the tank when I run out of gas.

Removed bar and checked oil hole in saw. Oil does run out of hole when engine running. I do not know how much oil should be pumping out but there is definite flow.

Installed new 20" bar and chain - same problem.

Using Stihl bar, chain, and oil.

Checked oil passage in old 24" bar (less than 1/2 hour total time on 24" bar and chain).

Oiler adjustment is wide open.

The 2 nuts that hold the bar in place are so hot you can't touch them.

Chain is correctly tensioned.

Clutch spins freely even when hot.

Bar smokes but it and chain are not burnt and there is no sign of discoloration.

Oil does fly from bar/chain and forms a streak on the ground.

Chain appears to be dry, oil film not obvious.

Any ideas would be appreciated. I did take it in to the dealer and he said it appeared to be working correctly.

Thanks
Mark

Kevin

Does the oil hole in the bar line up with the oil hole in the saw when the bar is on the saw?
Do you keep the chain sharp and sharpend properly?

SasquatchMan

Is there any chance that the sprocket in the end of the bar (if you have one) is in need of lube?  Smoking sounds awful hot, but as I was told by a tech the other week, "too hot to touch" means about 55 celsius (or what, 130F), which in the mechanical world isn't hot at all.  Does the saw heat up real bad if you run it with the bar off (that is, is the heat problem coming from the bar or from the power head?)

Chain sharp?  That's the most usual source of heat in any cutting op.  Is the bar dead straight?  Any damage to the rails or any twist in the bar can make things work poorly.    
Senior Member?  That's funny.

Kevin

You better check the needle bearing under the clutch too.

Mark M

I used it last night after taking it to the shop and it seemed to work ok. One thing the guy at the shop did was turn the oil adjusting screw back and forth several times. I am thinking there was a little peice of dirt in the valve or somewhere in the system.

Thanks
Mark

Thank You Sponsors!